• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Traveling by train or bus on Good Friday (10/04/2020)

hielienie

Time of past OR future Camino
Apr2017:Frances,Muxia,Finisterre
Apr2023:Del Norte
Me and my mom will be arriving in Madrid at 05:00 on Good Friday next year. I need to go to Irun and she is on her way to SJPDP. I have a feeling we might struggle with bus/train availability over Easter Weekend. Does anyone know how big a problem this might be?

I am struggling to understand the Renfe website and ALSA also doesn't seem to have timetables for April yet.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Spanish train and bus websites generally do not post scheduled very far in advance. For buses, 60 days is about as far out as I have seen, For trains, perhaps 90 days...

Hope this helps.

Spanish train and bus websites generally do not post scheduled very far in advance. For buses, 60 days is about as far out as I have seen, For trains, perhaps 90 days...

Hope this helps.

Thanks this definitely helps - So my head can stop spinning until at least January

If I were you, I'd consider getting a flight from Madrid to San Sebastian EAS or Biarritz BIQ.

EAS airport is about 3 km from Irun and Gare d'Hendaye.

BIQ airport is 40 minutes local bus ride from Gare Bayonne and is the closest airport to SJPdP.

SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne and Bayonne to SJPdP has TER service which there are no reservations required or available.

ALSA/CONDA likely won't have anything posted more than a month in advance. RENFE schedule is kinda sorta 3 months for its AVE but sometimes much less for its less important routes. SNCF is usually available 3 months out and doesn't usually change much so you can plan using tomorrows schedule and not be far off when its time.

I wouldn't count on there being bus service from Pamplona to SJPdP in April. It might start running that early in the season but no guarantee that it will.

Easter is a big deal in Spain and France ... so expect long lines and delays if you don't have reservations and tickets when you get there.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum