• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Two months ago to the day I was in SJPP preparing to walk the Camino.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I wish I had a time machine that could take me back to that day again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think you are one of many that would like to turn back the clock to the day we started the camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wish I had a time machine that could take me back to that day again.

And "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride" is an appropriate thought. Rather than regrets that you can only experience the magical discovery of the First Time once, consider the following:

- A select few get a chance to do what you have done. Sure, millions have before you, but in the grand scheme of things, yours was a rare privilege.

- You clearly have had a very positive, even life changing experience. In the spirit of the pilgrim, be Grateful.

- You will carry this memory with you always, and it is yours to treasure so long as you live. That is something that cannot be taken away, and you cannot lose in a poker game.

Oh, and if you get that time machine working, drop me a line, maybe we can go together next (last?) time.......

and... - to play the Devil's Advocate - if that meant losing all your experiences and knowledge acquired since that day, would you still travel back?

A good question, Wokabaut_Meri, and the answer is a resounding, 'No'.
Two of the friends I made on the Camino have been visiting me over the last few days. They're lovely people and I can only hope that they're getting from me a fraction of what I'm getting from their friendship.
When I first returned I looked at my cluttered home, and empty life, and thought that I couldn't continue as I had in the past. I'm going to tidy the house up and rent it out for a year. During that time I'm going to do a lot of travelling.
It's said that the Camino doesn't give you what you want but what you need. It has certainly done that for me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sounds like a wonderful plan, Stephen and I'm sure that your Camino friendships are very much reciprocal and enriching.

To misquote and borrow from a Zen Master:
May every day be a journey and the Road itself be Home.

Safe and amazing travels. Let us know how you go.

and... - to play the Devil's Advocate - if that meant losing all your experiences and knowledge acquired since that day, would you still travel back?

Never mind the knowledge you would lose, although that's a good point. Doing it again might mean slipping on one of those cursed wet flagstones on the descent into Zubiri and blowing out a knee this time. Everyone who finishes needs to acknowledge that they were lucky as well. I know I was!

Most read last week in this forum