• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

vila do conde to esposende confusion

kellyz

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Astorga to Santiago, 2010
Camino Frances SJPP to Muxia, 2011
Camino del Salvador, 2012
Camino Primitivo 2012
Camino Portuguese, Coastal, 2013
Hi,
This is both a warning to new coastal hikers, and a question out of curiosity. I followed yellow arrows out of Porto all the way to Vila do Conde. So, naturally, when leaving Vilo do Conde, I followed the arrows--even though they seemed to be leading pretty far inland. In fact, they led me to Rates, where I found a sign telling me that I could walk 18k to Viana do Castelo on the coast, or 18k to Barcelos on the central route. My friends ignored the arrows and walked north along the coast. My warning for anyone walking the coastal route is to not follow the yellow arrows out of Vila do Conde. My question is, why are there sometimes yellow arrows on the coastal route, and other times the yellow arrows lead back to the central route?
Thanks!
Kelly

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know in Rates there is a board which clearly indicates the direction to the Caminho Central (Caminho Português) and to the Caminho da Costa (Costal). But even so, I've met people that got mixed up and took the wrong path. The good think is that as long as its yellow its taking you to Compostela.

From Vila do Conde, there should be indications towards Povoa and from there to Apúlia and Fão.
A trail of arrows from Rates takes you through my home town of Fonte Boa (past my front door) to Fão where is meets the Costal path.
These connection trails also exist from Caminha to Valença I think. Otherwise you can meet up with the Caminho Portugues after Vigo.

They exist to give people options, but they only muddy the distinction between the Caminhos.

Most read last week in this forum