• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Which is hillier, the Norte or the Primitivo?

Hello! My travelling companion Camino Bob is currently on the Norte on a bicycle (now in Bilbao). His knee is starting to act up, so he was wondering if he should continue along the Norte or turn onto the Primitivo at Vilaviciosa. He want's to take the less hillier route as it's the uphill bits that are hard on the knee. We've walked the Primitivo, which is lovely, but I remember there being a lot of up and down. We've never walked the Norte (apart from the last 100km). Any advice? He'll be taking a couple of rest days, but he still wants to do what is easiest for his knee.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Continue on the Norte. Primitivo is hillier. There will be some hills on the Norte when going inland after Ribadeo but it more rolling hills.

Continue on the Norte for sure.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I haven't walked the Norte but there are some intense ascents and descents on the Primitvo!

Most of the tough Norte Hills are in the earlier parts. The last third is far less hilly than the Primitivo, imo.

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum