• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

45 ltr bag for Del Norte route

Stedds

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (2012) Camino Del Norte (2013) Camino Primitivo (2013) Via Podensis (2013)
Right, this one has been digging away in my mind for a while. I managed well enough on the Camino Ingles last year with my 45 ltr bag. I had everything I needed in it, I like to travel extremely light and am well experienced in hiking and camping. As my research continues into my next Camino later this year I keep on thinking this won't be enough.

My plan is start in Le Puy and take the Norte route. Should take me no more than 2 months :D

Am not very keen on taking my 65 ltr bag but any advice/guidance is very much appreciated. Always get sound advice here!!

Eddie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used a 45 ltd bag on the Francis and the Norte and always found it to be plenty large enough. It was never full and I carries a sleeping bag, but no tent.

This is my exos 46 Large which is a 48 Liter bag. I had to put my sleeping mat inside the bag because I had too much room and even like this I'm going to bring one or two unnecessary items :)

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 953
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have used a 45 litre Berghaus and currently use a 45 litre Salomon. I carry a tent and sleeping mat. You should have no problem.

This fills me with much confidence to train fully with my 45ltr. This forum is awesome!! Thanks for all the responses :D

Well unless you are seriously planning to camp out , I would say get rid of the sleeping mat.. I spent a month on the Camino and not once did i see or know of anyone who actually used their mat.. I didnt use mine, i didnt come close to using mine...They take up space....Valuable space! I carried mine the whole way but not again.. This time it stays at home, i will take my chances! Buen Camino :arrow:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
robhay60 said:
Well unless you are seriously planning to camp out , I would say get rid of the sleeping mat.. I spent a month on the Camino and not once did i see or know of anyone who actually used their mat.. I didnt use mine, i didnt come close to using mine...They take up space....Valuable space! I carried mine the whole way but not again.. This time it stays at home, i will take my chances! Buen Camino :arrow:

Did you walk Camino del Norte or maybe Francés last year? Because I think there's a huge difference right there.
I walked camino Francés last year and I didn't bring a sleeping mat and never felt the need of one either.
On camino del Norte I think it could be wise to bring one. If I don't need it the first week I'll just trow it away. And at the moment one of it's purposes is actually to fill up my back pack as it's a bit to big.

I did the Norte in May and found open hostels with beds and blankets every 20km. I am going back in Sept 2013 and am considering leaving my sleeping bag at home, but the rain has me worried about cool hostels. I don't think a sleeping mat is necessary, unless you choose to camp.

I haven't done the walk yet but I've thrown everything I'm taking in my Lowe Alpine Airzone 35 (Litre), fits like a charm but not much spare space so I'm considering upgrading to the 35-45 version of the same bag instead (can't recommend the airzone's enough). No tent though but I've gone ultra light on my sleeping bag (travelpak traveller from snugpak - 850g) and its tiny when packed. Thats just an example but almost everything I'm taking is ultra light so those things that can't be ultra light won't seem so heavy :D Also I am taking a sleeping mat but only because I plan on a few open air sleeps on the trip (kinda miss my bivvy bag military days!!)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
well, i did the norte last october and there were a few mornings with puddles frozen over towards the end. I had a two season sleeping bag and wore everything i had at night. I`m not suggesting that is normal, it was a cold snap and I was wild camping...but still. i used a gregory z55 pack and had, mat , tent , sleeping bag. That was plenty. I took a 300 g inflatable mat ...totally worth it. As usual, pack size is variable depending on your needs.

I have walked both the CF and Norte. A 45L bag is more than large enough. Walked Norte in June of this year lots of mud and rain but never needed more than a lightweight sleeping sack. Glad I had a good rain jacket! Loved the Norte. Never had problems finding Albergue or Hostel lodging.

I have just finished the Norte with a 38 litre Osprey. I had plenty of room for everything...even extra food. There has been lots of rain and few dryers so bring extra socks and a warm sleeping bag...also a good jacket and poncho.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Planning to start the north route on sat 26 october walk as long we gets fore 12 days.Is there any must sees,hazards,special tip?Would it be rainy and cold?

Planning to start the north route on sat 26 october walk as long we gets fore 12 days.Is there any must sees,hazards,special tip?Would it be rainy and cold?

Where are you starting?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok so you are starting in St. John then taking one of the GR routes to Irun?

Asking so many questions as I walked the Norte June 2013 from Irun to Santiago. After the Norte I flew to Paris and walked part of the Vezelay back to St . Jean Pied de Port.

Ok so you are starting in St. John then taking one of the GR routes to Irun?

Asking so many questions as I walked the Norte June 2013 from Irun to Santiago. After the Norte I flew to Paris and walked part of the Vezelay back to St . Jean Pied de Port.

St. Jean Pied de Port the 26 october

I'm writing this from my cell phone so forgive typos :) glass of wine probably not helping. From St. Jean you can walk a GR over to Irun. I have not walked this but have talked to others that have. I understand you have a choice of a higher and a lower route. End of October my gut is the lower route would be better.

Or you could take a train from St. Jean to Irun.
The first week out of Irun you will have major climbs in the mountains each day.
The mud can be epic in the mountains so waterproof boots and good rain jacket a must. I also recommend hiking or trekking poles to help with navigation of the mud and help with the knees.

By end of first week you are in Bilbao where I took an extra night to see the city ad surrounding area.

My blog was also from my cell phone :) take a look I have some nice photos and recommended guidebook.

Available for any questions or help.

Buen Camino!
Bobbie
http://bobbiesurber.wordpress.com/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My few pennies worth then. I have walked the the Ingles/Finisterra and the Frances/Muxia with an Osprey Talon 44L. No mat/Sleeping bag (just a liner). Plenty of room left in bag. Could probably manage a smaller one, but hey -it's comfortable/leaves room for presents/new clothes in SDC and I am still extracting every pounds worth of value from it (mean or what?)

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.