• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A common artefact?

Time of past OR future Camino
Cp
Hi all
I have just come across an antique token or medal relating to the Camino on Ebay uk listed as "St James 18th century silver devotional medal" and wondered if any on the forum could identify if these were commonly carried by pilgrim in the 1700's and if they were easily obtained in Spain
Any info would be appreciated (sorry not sure how I attach a link to the site!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I wouldn't be too quick to assume that any medallion of St James is necessarily a pilgrim token. James is the patron saint of Spain and many Spanish people would have had a connection to him other than by pilgrimage. Those named after the saint for a start or members of a religious confraternity. But it is also true that Santiago de Compostela had a flourishing silversmith trade and it would be surprising if articles like that were not made and sold to pilgrims.

The figurine depicts St. James as Matamoros not St. James as Peregrino.
For much of the last few centuries Matamoros was the predominant image of the Apostle in Spanish churches. The choice of that particular image over that of Santiago Peregrino does not in itself disqualify the medallion from being a pilgrim token. It is only in quite recent times that distaste for the Matamoros image has led to its removal from public view in many churches.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the 18th century, the pilgrimage towards SdC was in crisis, the numbers of pilgrims were declining for various reasons (war, reformation, closed borders).
If this medal is what it claims to be, the better guess is that it belonged to someone who wasn't a pilgrim.
Note that the seller in 1985 does not mention the pigrimage at all, only 'Santiago de Compostela, patrón de España'

I wonder why the current seller did not clean it before putting it up for sale. The Saint is on horseback, trampling a fallen Moor, one would like to see the grisly details before deciding to wear it. (I know I would)

I don’t have any real knowledge about this. A bit of googling shows that such medals or medallions were indeed common artefacts in the 18th century and still are today. The small ring does not mean that it was actually worn by a person. They are souvenirs or gifts and not typical for pilgrims, anyone could own such an item.

These medals or medallions are not the same as the pilgrim badges of the Middle Ages although there is some similarity. Medieval pilgrim badges were purchased by pilgrims at the pilgrimage site and it is not unusual to see paintings where they are sown to a pilgrim’s hat. There a numerous threads about pilgrim badges on the forum.

Does it say on the piece of paper that the item was sold or evaluated at a price of 5000 pesetas in 1985?

Below are links to similar items - older and newer. There are many more websites with images of this kind of religious medals and coins. I think that one could find prettier items than the one in post #3. This motif (saint on horse with dead person underneath horse) is out of fashion but was en vogue in the 17th and 18th century in particular - a lot more popular in art during those two centuries than in the Middle Ages.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I've used Duolingo and Babbel, and have started listening to language transfer. But so far, I'm liking Wlingua the best. It presents clear differences between Spanish/Espana and Spanish/Latin...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back