• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A million questions

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After so many years of being hesitant, I booked today, I guess you could say the “lite” journey, Tui to Santiago. I’m starting the journey on my 62nd birthday, Very excited, and nervous all at the same time. If I have questions, can anyone give advice?

Hi and welcome!
Please ask and we will try to answer!
Btw, there is no lite pilgrimage. The part from Tui to Santiago is a nice one ;).

Welcome Mr. RussGianni! What are your questions? Ask away ...
Thanks!!! First, I’m pretty fit. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and currently walking on treadmill 6-8 miles each morning, about 2 hours. Training I suppose! The terrain for the Tui to Santiago route? Very hilly? Mostly Flat? Bought some new Hokas which I will begin to break in. This is my first question!

Thanks!!! First, I’m pretty fit. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and currently walking on treadmill 6-8 miles each morning, about 2 hours. Training I suppose! The terrain for the Tui to Santiago route? Very hilly? Mostly Flat? Bought some new Hokas which I will begin to break in. This is my first question!

The Gronze website is a good source for information.

If you click on " perfil de la etapa " you get an idea about the hilly parts.

In general the part from Tui on is not flat but not extremely hilly either.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have not walked in Portugal so I will leave your questions for others on the forum to answer.

Your training sounds good! Just be sure to get outdoors and walk several miles with about 5-7lbs in your pack (or however much you plan to carry). You may also want to plan a weekly 10-12km hike.

Buen camino!

Some hills, for sure. But no mountains.

Maybe start walking on your treadmill with your loaded backpack...

Some hills, for sure. But no mountains.

Maybe start walking on your treadmill with your loaded backpack...
I am
Planning on this, although I must admit that im
Signed onto one of those tours that transports my bag . I plan to carry a backpack, containing my medication, water, spare socks, maybe spare very lightweight running shoes, and some protein bars!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am
Planning on this, although I must admit that im
Signed onto one of those tours that transports my bag . I plan to carry a backpack, containing my medication, water, spare socks, maybe spare very lightweight running shoes, and some protein bars!
Oh, what a shame; but that’s up to you.

You’ve really nothing to be concerned about. 62 puts you in the youth section on here.

Forget about carrying the ‘spare very light running shoes’ and Hokas don’t need ‘breaking in’.

Also ‘protein bars’ - honestly, it’s not an adventure race. You’re not carrying anything meaningful, just have a leisurely breakfast and set off. You’ll pass a cafe or restaurant every hour or so.

Oh, what a shame; but that’s up to you.

You’ve really nothing to be concerned about. 62 puts you in the youth section on here.

Forget about carrying the ‘spare very light running shoes’ and Hokas don’t need ‘breaking in’.

Also ‘protein bars’ - honestly, it’s not an adventure race. You’re not carrying anything meaningful, just have a leisurely breakfast and set off. You’ll pass a cafe or restaurant every hour or so.
Really? I’m not quite sure about the eating thing during the day. I’m not a big eater; coffee , a piece of toast and an apple are my daily breakfast, I never eat lunch, and I eat a very light dinner. So the good thing isn’t my focus, but I thought if I happen to get a bit peckish during my 4-7 hour walks, at least I have a granola bar in my bag! Thanks for the input, and I. Regards to the extra shoes: thanks, Il take your advice and please! It’s not a shame! I’m treating myself for my birthday with this journey, and just a tiny smidgeon of luxury( having a bag transported) is something I prefer!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On the camino, so nice to stop and have a Cafe con Leche and a piece of Spanish tortilla at an outdoor table. If you are able, try to embrace the slower pace and the change of habits. I also carry a snack. I have not found the cereal/granola bars in Spain very tasty so usually carry a small bag of walnuts and maybe a hunk of local cheese and/or some Spanish bread.

Really? I’m not quite sure about the eating thing during the day. I’m not a big eater; coffee , a piece of toast and an apple are my daily breakfast, I never eat lunch, and I eat a very light dinner. So the good thing isn’t my focus, but I thought if I happen to get a bit peckish during my 4-7 hour walks, at least I have a granola bar in my bag! Thanks for the input, and I. Regards to the extra shoes: thanks, Il take your advice and please! It’s not a shame! I’m treating myself for my birthday with this journey, and just a tiny smidgeon of luxury( having a bag transported) is something I prefer!
We should all do that which we prefer, of course.

Perhaps you might consider modifying your diet for the duration of your holiday? Getting some more calories in early in the day in anticipation of a few hours walk?

Have a great time. The secret is that it’s neither as difficult nor as complicated as one might think. Don’t tell everyone.

We should all do that which we prefer, of course.

Perhaps you might consider modifying your diet for the duration of your holiday? Getting some more calories in early in the day in anticipation of a few hours walk?

Have a great time. The secret is that it’s neither as difficult nor as complicated as one might think. Don’t tell everyone.
Thanks guys for all the info and support! A quick question? Can I refill a water bottle easily on the path?? And a more embarrassing personal question if I may ask? Facilities? Washrooms? I know, an odd question, however, I have some issues with that regarding urgency!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best just finding out about the terrain and wear what's appropriate for the day, taking into account whether you're walking on hard ground, rocks, mud.

I'm not a big eater either but I'm a picker... I love snacking. Take your protein bars!

I'd also recommend a lightweight foldable foam sitting pad/mat.

Thanks guys for all the info and support! A quick question? Can I refill a water bottle easily on the path?? And a more embarrassing personal question if I may ask? Facilities? Washrooms? I know, an odd question, however, I have some issues with that regarding urgency!

I cannot remember the situation with public water fountains but Tui to Santiago has no shortage of bars and cafeterias. So you can fill up there on water ( please also buy something else when you ask for your bottle to be flled ) and use the toilets. Please also consume something or leave some coin money when you use the toilet services.

Another good reason to stop at a cafe or a bar for a snack from time to time! Use their restroom and also fill up your bottle. Many fountains are available for water refills in small towns, too.

Another good reason to stop at a cafe or a bar for a snack from time to time! Use their restroom and also fill up your bottle. Many fountains are available for water refills in small towns, too.
Perfect. Everyone is such a wealth of information! I’m very appreciative!

Perfect. Everyone is such a wealth of information! I’m very appreciative!
And money? Usually I travel with a credit card, contactless available. I plan on picking up euros at the Porto Airport, but can I rely mostly on the credit card in small town cafes? Grocery shops?

If your travel accommodations are already paid for you won't need much cash, however, while plastic is accepted more now, small stores and cafes may require a minimum purchase to use a card. I always use cash because I know it costs the small business owner to run a card. A snack and a coffee will likely be less than 5 euros so I use cash for that. Grocery stores are set up to take plastic. Are you paying for your own evening meals or is that included in your package deal? I would expect to pay about 15-18 euros average for a meal which will include wine/water, bread, and 3 courses. Normally a card will be accepted for that amount.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And money? Usually I travel with a credit card, contactless available. I plan on picking up euros at the Porto Airport, but can I rely mostly on the credit card in small town cafes? Grocery shops?

Yes, card is accepted more and more.
Just have cash (in euros) available in case it's required.

If your travel accommodations are already paid for you won't need much cash, however, while plastic is accepted more now, small stores and cafes may require a minimum purchase to use a card. I always use cash because I know it costs the small business owner to run a card. A snack and a coffee will likely be less than 5 euros so I use cash for that. Grocery stores are set up to take plastic. Are you paying for your own evening meals or is that included in your package deal? I would expect to pay about 15-18 euros average for a meal which will include wine/water, bread, and 3 courses. Normally a card will be accepted for that amount.
Yes sir! My lodging and mist meals over a 8 day period are paid for. I have a few dinners that I will eat out, but other than that, I’ll be good. And I love your info about cost of meals with wine, bread, etc!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Really? I’m not quite sure about the eating thing during the day. I’m not a big eater; coffee , a piece of toast and an apple are my daily breakfast, I never eat lunch, and I eat a very light dinner. So the good thing isn’t my focus, but I thought if I happen to get a bit peckish during my 4-7 hour walks, at least I have a granola bar in my bag!
Hi Russ and welcome!
Eating and drinking enough is important; well it is for me🤣!
In September 23 i walked Leon to Muxia my fitbit said i was burning average 4000 Cal a day to max 6000 i like my food!
But i still I lost 9 kilos don't skimp on fuel.

Most towns have grocery stores, a bag of mixed nuts and a piece of fruit is handy to have along. Echo the advice to buy coffee, a drink or make a small donation when using the restroom at a bar or cafe.

Hi Russ and welcome!
Eating and drinking enough is important; well it is for me🤣!
In September 23 i walked Leon to Muxia my fitbit said i was burning average 4000 Cal a day to max 6000 i like my food!
But i still I lost 9 kilos don't skimp on fuel.
I’m beefing up for this! lol I figured I would lose a few pounds due to the vast amount of calories burned! So, I’m going to hunt out delicious food and satisfying my sweet tooth!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m beefing up for this! lol I figured I would lose a few pounds due to the vast amount of calories burned! So, I’m going to hunt out delicious food and satisfying my sweet tooth!

Good for you! Pasteis de natas and chocolate are my weakness - and you’ll be starting just across the water from the nation that gave the world pasteis de natas 😋

Small sweet egg custard tart in flaky pastry. Ubiquitous in Portugal. Best in early morning straight out of the oven. Half a dozen is regarded as a standard portion.

Regrettably, you’re not walking in Portugal.

Mercifully there’ll be plenty available in Spain for @RussGianni to try out, however

After so many years of being hesitant, I booked today, I guess you could say the “lite” journey, Tui to Santiago. I’m starting the journey on my 62nd birthday, Very excited, and nervous all at the same time. If I have questions, can anyone give advice?
I walked the Camino from Pamplona to Santiago in 2016! Advice?
Don’t be in a hurry.
If you meet someon you like, get their contact info sooner than later. I lost track of a couple of people I wanted to stay in touch with.
Drink some delicious Spanish wine! 😄
Walk alone sometimes. The solitude is lovely.
Keep your pack as light as possible. You’ll be surprised at what you don’t need.
Take lots of pictures.
Pray. Cry. Laugh. Whatever you need to do.
Relish every moment.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Small sweet egg custard tart in flaky pastry. Ubiquitous in Portugal. Best in early morning straight out of the oven. Half a dozen is regarded as a standard portion.
Absolutely delicious, but sadly two are as many as I can eat 😞. Well... Ok , maybe 3.
There's a great little cafe about 200 m from the cathedral in Santiago if you haven't had enough by the time you get there.... https://maps.app.goo.gl/UcfbKdgDXEqCu9cw7

Not that I'm addicted to them or anything...

Bought some new Hokas which I will begin to break in. This is my first question!
I agree that you do not need to break in trail runners, however it is a good idea to put in a couple of days in them to ensure that there are no manufacturing defects. With, of course, the same socks that you will wear. And out on a trail too, to ensure that you actually do have the right fit. (Circa 10mm room between your toes and the front of your shoes is my personal rough guide).

I agree that you do not need to break in trail runners, however it is a good idea to put in a couple of days in them to ensure that there are no manufacturing defects. With, of course, the same socks that you will wear. And out on a trail too, to ensure that you actually do have the right fit. (Circa 10mm room between your toes and the front of your shoes is my personal rough guide).
When I bought them, the sales man measured my foot, then insured that they fit cotrectly( suggesting about a half size up to allow for foot splaying( when you are on your feet and walk a lot!!)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Tui to SdC is, in fact, a very easy walk. Only slight elevation, depending what your tour operator had planned.

Try the different pasteis de nata if possible!

You need a little bit of cash, maybe 20€ on hand, 50€ stuffed away, if card is not accepted (or isn't working). You can draw cash in bigger towns with cash machines of the corporate banks (Santander / Abanca / CaixaBank).

From Tui on there are enough Cafes and Bars to walk in and use their facilities, but don't be fooled, there are some parts that aren't well equipped. Almost every small town and hamlet will have a Bar, but you never know their opening hours.

I walked Porto->SdC in July last year and it was an amazing experience.
Wish you a real pleasant time on the Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So many questions have been answered so far, and thanks! Now on to transport: I’m arriving in Porto and I need to get to Tui to begin the walk. I realize I must train or bus to Velença first, then walk across the bridge to Tui? Is this correct? My problem is trying to understand the railway schedules and the bus schedules! Can anyone recommend an easy solution for this? I arrive in Porto at 7:30 AM and I’ve given myself an additional day to get settled in before the walk, but returning is another issue as I am returning from Santiago back to Porto!!!!

So many questions have been answered so far, and thanks! Now on to transport: I’m arriving in Porto and I need to get to Tui to begin the walk. I realize I must train or bus to Velença first, then walk across the bridge to Tui? Is this correct? My problem is trying to understand the railway schedules and the bus schedules! Can anyone recommend an easy solution for this? I arrive in Porto at 7:30 AM and I’ve given myself an additional day to get settled in before the walk, but returning is another issue as I am returning from Santiago back to Porto!!!!
Experiment with this:

Correct. Tui is literally right across the bridge from Valença.

There is, however, an hour’s time difference between Portugal and Spain; so that ten minute walk takes an hour and 10 according to your watch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Russ, be sure to look into medical insurance for your trip. Neither Medicare nor Veterans Affairs will pickup or reimburse costs for service provided outside the US (well, there are some highly unlikely circumstances). Some Medicare Advantage plans do and some don't.

Edit: In post #45 below @trecile corrected an error I made in the paragraph below (that I've since struck out). I posted because Russ said he was going to start on his 62nd birthday and I thought he might have been relying on Medicare for his medical insurance.

Background for non-Americans: Russ says he is from New Orleans, Louisiana, USA (NOLA). At age 62 65 he can get the national medical insurance called Medicare. I'm a bit worried that Russ may think he has medical coverage for the camino when he doesn't.

Last edited:
Russ, be sure to look into medical insurance for your trip. Neither Medicare nor Veterans Affairs will pickup or reimburse costs for service provided outside the US (well, there are some highly unlikely circumstances). Some Medicare Advantage plans do and some don't.

Background for non-Americans: Russ says he is from New Orleans, Louisiana, USA (NOLA). At age 62 he can get the national medical insurance called Medicare. I'm a bit worried that Russ may think he has medical coverage for the camino when he doesn't.
Thanks for that! I took out trip insurance through American Airlines, that includes many things including medical coverage up to 25 thousand in case of emergency. I think this should cover me. And I am not if the age to receive Medicare yet here in the states

Background for non-Americans: Russ says he is from New Orleans, Louisiana, USA (NOLA). At age 62 he can get the national medical insurance called Medicare
I'm sorry, but you are a few years off. Medicare starts at 65 unless a person qualifies earlier because of a disability. One can start collecting Social Security at age 62 at a reduced rate.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm sorry, but you are a few years off. Medicare starts at 65 unless a person qualifies earlier because of a disability. One can start collecting Social Security at age 62 at a reduced rate.
Correct, I goofed. And there's plenty of people sorry that Medicare doesn't start until 65. I've made an edit to my original post.

Last edited:

Regrettably, you’re not walking in Portugal.
Often topped with a sprinkling of cinnamon or icing sugar added by the customer just before consumption.

So many questions have been answered so far, and thanks!
Rather than ask all of your questions on this thread, you can start new threads for specific topics. You may have noticed that there are many subforums for topics such as transportation, gear, culture, etc. It's nice to keep the transportation questions in that section, gear questions in the gear section, etc. You can also search those subforums to see if your questions have already been answered.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Why not get a stamp in Valenca and consider that you have started your Camino there? I took the train from Porto to Valenca in 2022. I stopped for a coffee not far from the station and got my first sello there. I highly recommend the Variant Espiritual!

Why not get a stamp in Valenca and consider that you have started your Camino there? I took the train from Porto to Valenca in 2022. I stopped for a coffee not far from the station and got my first sello there. I highly recommend the Variant Espiritual!
Can I do that? Where exactly did you get the stamp?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Take metro Line E from the airport (direction Trinidad) then at Senhora de Hora switch to Line B to Campanha train station.

Trains to Valença depart from there.

Refer to ‘Rome to Rio’ for all the travel details you’ll ever need.

Can I do that? Where exactly did you get the stamp?
I got my first sello at the café where I stopped for coffee in Valença . As others have said, nearly every café, bar, albergue, hotel, city hall, church, tourist office or any place that interacts with peregrinos will have a stamp, just ask. Get two everyday from Valença/Tui onward, if you are planning to get the Compostela in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back