A 'One Word' Why?

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Jan 24, 2018
Massachusetts, USA
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" and I'm having a blast! We are full at 24 students and deeply entrenched. I broke down my course into 1) introductions/ me/ them/ university and brief overview on how course would unfold 2) the What : defining pilgrimage, in many faiths, many countries, many ways...and narrowing to Christian pilgrimage in Spain ( but not limited to that ) 3) the Where : covering many of the major routes and beyond, leading to Santiago de Compostela, 4) the Who: Santiago, Knights of Templar, Famous benefactors in history, Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim. 5) this week I cover the How: from guidebooks, to accommodations, gear, travel, food, etc... resources. Every class had powerpoint slides, lecture, and short videos...

And next week is the "Why" . Aside from my personal insights, and some gathered from others in interviews, I'd like to compile a list of single words to match up with a photo in a slide presentation. I've had lovely responses in the past from this forum in my request for photos, shown in my video " Camino Faces, Hearts & Souls " ...Every one of those students were smiling back at you!

Our final class will include wine, Santiago cake, cheeses, breakfast tortilla... we have a shell for each, a hemp bracelet with shell, and a viewing of "The Way"... ( I know, but they requested it )

So, one word of WHY...
Thank you one and all for the help throughout...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Derrybiketours

A journey of 500 miles begins with one step!
Jul 9, 2018
Derry
www.youtube.com
SJPdeP-FIN(09/2018)
PORTO-SANT(11/2018)
Caminho Da Fe(01/2019)
SJPdeP- SANT(09/2019)
Madrid(7/2020)
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

koilife

Veteran Member
Dec 6, 2012
Colorado, US
CF '13; CF/Salvador/Ingles '16; Portugues '22
Surreal
full

Somewhere along the Route Napoleon

Edit --- The next day there was over a foot of snow along here, with 8 pilgrims having to be rescued (and I believe one who died in the weather). I didn't hear about it until Pamplona when I saw the pictures of the blizzard on the front page of the day-old newspaper.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Feb 6, 2020
Greece
Starting May 2023 from St Jean Pied de Port
Without wishing to be seen to be cynical, I would suggest the word "Hollywood". From comments on this site and others, it clearly has had a recent influence. But like most things in life, it's temporal.

View attachment 69575
I'd never even heard of the film till I came on this site!
My Spanish teacher at school was a bit obsessed with the Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

GaryPeacock

Aug 30, 2018
I'm in my 5th class of teaching a university course on "Walking Pilgrimage: El Camino de Santiago" and I'm having a blast! We are full at 24 students and deeply entrenched. I broke down my course into 1) introductions/ me/ them/ university and brief overview on how course would unfold 2) the What : defining pilgrimage, in many faiths, many countries, many ways...and narrowing to Christian pilgrimage in Spain ( but not limited to that ) 3) the Where : covering many of the major routes and beyond, leading to Santiago de Compostela, 4) the Who: Santiago, Knights of Templar, Famous benefactors in history, Celebrity walkers, non-celebrity walkers ( a one line characterization of a few of the pilgrims that left a dent on my heart/sparkle on my soul ) ...and a guest speaker pilgrim. 5) this week I cover the How: from guidebooks, to accommodations, gear, travel, food, etc... resources. Every class had powerpoint slides, lecture, and short videos...

And next week is the "Why" . Aside from my personal insights, and some gathered from others in interviews, I'd like to compile a list of single words to match up with a photo in a slide presentation. I've had lovely responses in the past from this forum in my request for photos, shown in my video " Camino Faces, Hearts & Souls " ...Every one of those students were smiling back at you!

Our final class will include wine, Santiago cake, cheeses, breakfast tortilla... we have a shell for each, a hemp bracelet with shell, and a viewing of "The Way"... ( I know, but they requested it )

So, one word of WHY...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Rosemary Boyd

Mar 14, 2016
future

So, one word of WHY...

Distraction

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Nov 17, 2015
Yes
As an academic, I'm somewhat fascinated by your description of this "university course". Where does it fit into an overall program; what assessment is required of the students; and what qualification does it lead to?

Those are fair questions. And how does one enroll? :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Jan 24, 2018
Massachusetts, USA
Without wishing to be seen to be cynical, I would suggest the word "Hollywood". From comments on this site and others, it clearly has had a recent influence. But like most things in life, it's temporal.

View attachment 69575

The movie is what it is...though not my experience at all, it does introduce many to the camino. What we do with our experiences after that is up to us. The actors themselves don't claim to be actual pilgrims and acknowledge it's a movie intended more to be a healing between father and deceased son more than a promotion of the camino. It just happened to be filmed there. Still, hollywood and all, it has its merits.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Jan 24, 2018
Massachusetts, USA
Those are fair questions. And how does one enroll? :D
I am having the time of my life teaching this course! It is a non-credit course offered to all ages in the community thru a grant program. My class is being audited by the curriculum committee to be offered as a full credit undergrad course in coming semesters. The seats were filled within hours of the online registration and they had dozens more of mail-in registration forms that are now on a list for another session. I plan to walk again this summer late July /end of August, so may offer in September.
Any opportunity to speak about this passion is a blessing!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Jan 24, 2018
Massachusetts, USA
As an academic, I'm somewhat fascinated by your description of this "university course". Where does it fit into an overall program; what assessment is required of the students; and what qualification does it lead to?
It is currently offered as a non-credit course, but is being considered for an undergraduate full credit humanities...Where else can one touch on Art, History, Architecture, Music, Culture, Religion, Sociology, Philosophy, etc...all in one class?! The current students and curriculum committee are fascinated. ( I do, have Masters Degrees in Teaching, Art, Nursing & Mental Health Counseling...the application and screening process was quite involved ) Assessment is not required in this current class, but will need to be developed and approved once class becomes full-credit.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
F

Former member 69452

HI there.

Love the course outline and boy, would I love to attend.

To answer your question as to why, here are a few reasons you could elaborate on:
• Religious/Spriritual reasons - to build on your relationship with God
• Redemption
• Rediscover yourself or "Discovery" encompassing the external and internal
• Seeking direction in your life
• Because once you've completed your first, you are compelled to return again and again and again.

Hope these help.

• Love - Red heart
Reactions: KJFSophie
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

donnasanjuan

Donna
Jul 18, 2013
San Francisco, California
Frances 2015
Portuguese 2023
Francigena Sept 2024
Besides Ultreia which has been mentioned previously (and tattooed forever on my foot) I would say "Connectivity". This was the first trip for me and my husband to Europe and a first trip in over 20 years where it was just the two of us without our children. We connected in ways that were better than when we first met!

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Jun 22, 2015
New Mexico, USA
www.mirafloresmosaics.com

So, one word of WHY...

Just wanted to say that class sounds like a lot of fun to organize, research and teach. Imagine getting PAID to talk about your Camino to a captive audience?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Jun 22, 2015
New Mexico, USA
www.mirafloresmosaics.com

View attachment 69575

But surely that's not Your word for why you walked the Camino?

Reactions: Alan Pearce

Baba John

Mar 14, 2018
2015 Frances, 2017 Frances, 2019 Frances

So, one word of WHY...
Humility

D

Deleted member 91493

So, one word of WHY...
Peace

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Jan 24, 2018
Massachusetts, USA
Just wanted to say that class sounds like a lot of fun to organize, research and teach. Imagine getting PAID to talk about your Camino to a captive audience?

I AM getting paid...lol Just a stipend and reimbursement of any expenses ( might have done it for free! )

malingerer

samarkand
Jan 28, 2014
cf (2), de la plata, cp. (2003 -2018)
I AM getting paid...lol Just a stipend and reimbursement of any expenses ( might have done it for free! )

My word?

CALLED

I was a tourist day one.

Day two: got lost on the mountain above Valcarlos. Met my Guardian Angel and walked an unknown path to Roncesvalles. Have been a pilgrim ever since. Still seeking, hence the poetry.

The Malingerer.

D

Deleted member 56069

I do a yearly talk about my latest Camino at out local library each year and get paid a small honorarium. I'd happily do it for free, but being retired now it all helps.
Close to one hundred people turned up last year to my talk.
Set to do it again this April.
Love getting the subsequent emails from those that were inspired to go after attending one of my talks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mar 1, 2014
travelling from SJPP in early May 2014

So, one word of WHY...
A circle of stepping stones of the heart made of single words for the inner journey that are the accompaniment of the outer journey.
Desire-Yearning-Praise-Worship-Hope-Gratitude-Grace-Desire etc.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Aug 2, 2017
Tacoma, WA

So, one word of WHY...

For a long time I thought that "why?" was a question that seldom had a useful answer. You've changed that idea!

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides