• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

About to start

miriamaok

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP to SdC Camino Frances (2016)
Coimbra to SdC Camino Portugues (2017)
Camino del Norte (2018)
hello from the station at Bayonne where I just missed the train to SJPP and have a 3 hour wait for the next one! I have been reading the forum compulsively for about 6 months and thought - maybe some day! Then I realised some day had arrived. I have 2 months before needing to return to the UK. I haven't booked my return flight and have a vague plan to travel around Portugal and Spain depending on how far I get with the Camino.

Thanks for all the invaluable advice on here. I feel very well informed and supported. Physically I could be in better shape but I have time to start slowly and build my strength. I have arthritis in both feet and am diabetic which brings its own challenges. I do quite a bit of walking but more in the wind and rain than the heat.

A few issues have arisen already though! My pack is slightly too heavy 8.3kgs on the scales at the airport. Is there a post office in SJPP that I could send things on to Santiago?

I couldn't get in to orisson so think I'll get the bus to roncesvalles and start from there. Then see how I go. I also left my walking poles at home in Yorkshire (by the front door)! So need to buy some in SJPP.

I'm sure these problems will resolve themselves as I go along. Thanks again for all the amazing advice and common sense on this forum!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Welcome Miriam. You could always take the Valcarlos route, there is an albergue and private accommodation there and it it is a beautiful and somewhat easier route. There is a Post Office in St Jean but if you could wait until Pamplona it would be cheaper to send stuff on from there. There are several hiking shops in St Jean, one very close to the Pilgrims Office.
Have a great Camino.
Buen Camino.

Hello and Welcome!

It's almost midnight here in Australia and reading your post, I'm immediately transported back to the train station at Bayonne last April and the eager anticipation and equal trepidation of a forthcoming Camino.

Your plan sounds very well thought out. Buying poles in St Jean PdP shouldn't be an issue as the outdoor shop across from the Pilgrim's Office is an Aladdin's Cave for pilgrims: http://www.boutique-du-pelerin.com/en/

Posting your excess gear from Pamplona is the best option. If you think that your pack's too heavy you can always use one of the backpack transport services to get it there and just walk with a minimal day pack.

I have severe osteoarthritis in both big toes so need to manage that but it wasn't an issue for me on the Camino.

You have a great attitude towards your Camino (it's already begun by the way!). Flexibility is a virtue on the Way.

Buen Camino!

Go Well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yeah, for sure lighten that pack up.
Looks like it is still very warm and dry in Spain. I see sunny temps of 33 C in Pamplona and 28 C in Burgos. Probably some cold weather stuff you packed that you may not need.
Cheers and ultreia and stay hydrated (hat and sunscreen, too).

hello from the station at Bayonne where I just missed the train to SJPP and have a 3 hour wait for the next one! I have been reading the forum compulsively for about 6 months and thought - maybe some day! Then I realised some day had arrived. I have 2 months before needing to return to the UK. I haven't booked my return flight and have a vague plan to travel around Portugal and Spain depending on how far I get with the Camino.

Thanks for all the invaluable advice on here. I feel very well informed and supported. Physically I could be in better shape but I have time to start slowly and build my strength. I have arthritis in both feet and am diabetic which brings its own challenges. I do quite a bit of walking but more in the wind and rain than the heat.

A few issues have arisen already though! My pack is slightly too heavy 8.3kgs on the scales at the airport. Is there a post office in SJPP that I could send things on to Santiago?

I couldn't get in to orisson so think I'll get the bus to roncesvalles and start from there. Then see how I go. I also left my walking poles at home in Yorkshire (by the front door)! So need to buy some in SJPP.

I'm sure these problems will resolve themselves as I go along. Thanks again for all the amazing advice and common sense on this forum!
Hi, Miriam,

@wayfarer gave you some good advice. I took Valcarlos route in 2009 and made it all the way to Roncesvalles in one day despite twisted ankle.

It seems like there will be another forum member @Alice Paton on the same train today. She was waiting in Bayonne for lost baggage and is travelling with her mother if I remember correctly from her previous posts. So you can start your Camino family even before reaching starting point :)

Ultreia!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for her.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Is there anywhere in or near LeĂłn that cold weather stuff can be sent to and picked up when we get there?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@kdespot

I think you can send your stuff to a post office in Leon to pick up... but be careful as I met a guy who did that and his stuff were delayed in the post for a loooong while! Over a week from his expected date of arrival!

You could send to the albergue or hotel you staying but again there could be delay, as above!

Check at the Correos? Good luck..

I sent some stuff to the US from SJPP, but suggest you hang onto the other extra things you have until you get to Pamplona--and then send them to Ivar. It's costly and impractical to send things to Spain from France, but the Post Office in Pamplona is clearly used to helping overloaded pilgrims!:)
Buen Camino, whichever route you choose!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back