Advice re weather

Kayleen

Jan 14, 2019
Ireland
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept 2019)
18 of us are arriving in SJPDP on Saturday and starting our walk on Sunday. We are going as far as Pamplona this year with the intention of coming back yearly until we have completed the journey.

Can anyone advise on the predicted weather for next week. I appreciate that we are crossing the Pyrenees and that the weather will be unpredictable there but just in general what is the weather currently like

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

amancio

Veteran Member
Nov 2, 2007
Durcal, Granada
Frances, Norte, Primit, Salvador, Portug, Arag, Ingles, VdlP, Leban-Vadin, Fisterra, Invierno, LePuy
This is for Roncesvalles: 100% chance of rain, but this might be during the night, for example, and it is hard to tell how much rain would fall. Judging by the smaller chances on Monday, it seems it would be most likely during the first half of the day. Still, Pyrinees are beautiful with rain too! Snow forecast at 2300m

1566984865768.png

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
And below is the Meteoblue forecast for the Col de Bentarte on Sunday 1 September 2019. Predictability is 75%. Check again in the evening before and on the morning of the walk. Col de Bentarte is the top of the Route Napoleon. It doesn't look bad, maybe a bit of rain, maybe not, and not a lot of strong winds or wind gusts either but low clouds (see their meteogram) and hence perhaps not much of a view.

Col de Bentarte.png

Viewweather.com also has a detailed forecast for the Col de Bentarte.

Last edited:

islandwalker

Veteran Member
Dec 4, 2013
San Juan Islands, Washington State
Francés and routes in Andalucia
And below is the Meteoblue forecast for the Col de Bentarte ...
@Kathar1na, thanks so much for posting these two very useful weather sources! I was not aware of either of them but have now added the apps to my phone. The meteoblue grids and additional info (5-day meteogram with visuals for temperature, precipitation, and wind) on the webpage are great!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Nobody can predict the weather in the Pyrenees.
Chances are it will be sunny, rainy, windy, hot, and cold.
Just go ready to layer, have rain gear, and enjoy the walk!
Walking in the rain this time of year can be wonderful, actually!

Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
Nobody can predict the weather in the Pyrenees.
The detailed short term weather forecasts (1-3 days) for the pass are quite accurate, especially when you pay attention to what the symbols and numbers and visuals actually mean. I consider them as very useful.

@Kathleen and her group are planning to walk from SJPP to Pamplona only. You don't pack equipment and clothing for all eventualities for a whole month in this case. At least I don't.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2014
Kent, UK
canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
And below is the Meteoblue forecast for the Col de Bentarte on Sunday 1 September 2019. Predictability is 75%. Check again in the evening before and on the morning of the walk. Col de Bentarte is the top of the Route Napoleon. It doesn't look bad, maybe a bit of rain, maybe not, and not a lot of strong winds or wind gusts either but low clouds (see their meteogram) and hence perhaps not much of a view.

View attachment 64044

Excellent site for wherever you are, thank you!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
these two very useful weather sources! I was not aware of either of them but have now added the apps to my phone. The meteoblue grids and additional info (5-day meteogram with visuals for temperature, precipitation, and wind) on the webpage are great!
I learnt about these two weather services thanks to the Pilgrims Office in Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Viewweather is the one that they are linked to on their website and I think they have a daily printout in their office, and I believe they used Meteoblue earlier. What I like about Meteoblue is that they clearly indicate the predictability and they also have a Multimodel page which is useful to look at when predictability is medium or even lower.

Last edited:
Reactions: islandwalker
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
The detailed short term weather forecasts (1-3 days) for the pass are quite accurate, especially when you pay attention to what the symbols and numbers and visuals actually mean. I consider them as very useful.

@Kathleen and her group are planning to walk from SJPP to Pamplona only. You don't pack equipment and clothing for all eventualities for a whole month in this case. At least I don't.

Thanks for those two weather links, Katharina. They look very useful.
I admit saying "nobody can predict the weather" was a generalization I often use. ;)

While short term weather predictions may be useful, in the 13 times I've walked over that pass, I've seen all sorts of weather, often unexpected until the day before. I always check the night before I walk it. Most people must pack longer than 1 to 3 days before leaving for their trip. Even if I were walking only from SJPP to Pamplona, I'd be prepared to layer, even in August/September. But that's my opinion :🤷: People should do whatever makes their hearts happy.

Reactions: Kathar1na

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides