• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

All trains are full on Renfe (around May 3-7, 2024)

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive in Santiago on the 5th, is there any chance that I could get a ticket? Last year I booked at the last minute and had no problems.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive in Santiago on the 5th, is there any chance that I could get a ticket? Last year I booked at the last minute and had no problems.
I believe all seats are bookable on RENFE - but you may get a cancellation.

If I were you I’d download the ALSA bus app and book a refundable ticket whilst you’re thinking about it.

Look into booking a flight, too. Sometimes that is less expensive than train or bus depending on when you fly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I had the same problem one year, neither from the airports in Santiago or Vigo could I get a flight. Since I had to get back to Madrid Airport by a certain time I used BlaBla car for the first time. I first had to catch a train to the Vigo train station where I was picked up. I was dropped off near Chamartín where I got on the metro to Barajas. Cost €30.

Good luck!

Someone I walked with a few days had the same problem. (Because of his experience I booked my train a week ago for the 7th) He ended up finding a relatively cheap flight from A Courna to Madrid.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had the same issue, and was able to change flights to depart direct from Santiago on Monday May 6th. Flights were re booked 2 days ago. It ended up not just being doable, but less expensive. And a few blessed extra rainy Santiago days!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had the same issue last year in October, I tried BlaBlaCar app to share a car trip to Madrid with a young couple, cost €45

It’s the end of the May 1st holiday week for Spain but a bank holiday weekend for UK, so lots of tourist traveling.

We had the same issue 2 1/2 weeks ago so the we rented a car from the Santiago airport and drove there. The drive was gorgeous! We were happy we didn’t take the train.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Fly is a good option

I had the same problem one year, neither from the airports in Santiago or Vigo could I get a flight. Since I had to get back to Madrid Airport by a certain time I used BlaBla car for the first time. I first had to catch a train to the Vigo train station where I was picked up. I was dropped off near Chamartín where I got on the metro to Barajas. Cost €30.

Good luck!
Lee. sorry but I'm confused.
you used a BlaBla car - as a 'bus' not a private transportation, correct?
tooka train to Vigo then jumped on the BlahBlah bus and went to Chamartin where finally got onto the Metro to MAD
all for €30 - is that all correct?

Thanks

Lee. sorry but I'm confused.
you used a BlaBla car - as a 'bus' not a private transportation, correct?
tooka train to Vigo then jumped on the BlahBlah bus and went to Chamartin where finally got onto the Metro to MAD
all for €30 - is that all correct?

Thanks
Sorry if I was not clear. I meant that via Blabla car a private person picked me up at the train station in Vigo as I was coming in by train. I had exhausted all other possibilities (airport from Santiago, A Coruña and Vigo and all bus routes from anywhere in the vicinity of Santiago) before searching options with BlaBla car. It remains the first and only time I've used it but it sure saved me on that day!

The €30 was for the trip with BlaBla car, the metro from Chamartín to Barajas was extra.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to LeĂłn. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back