• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Zubiri hazardous path

Time of past OR future Camino
Sep(2019)
Jun(2024)
Hello;

I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous than I remembered. There are rumors 3 people were injured today, don't quote me, just sharing what I heard. Be careful!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Like my Mom said when I told her I am off on a Pilgrimage in Spain - "You Will Suffer!"
I honestly do n ot know how badly it eroded since 2019 but in 2022 it was no picnic either...

Good Luck to All the Pilgrims who currently approaching that stretch. Be vigilant, be careful, take your time, (USE POLES!) ... if it rains - use the road with the same caution!

Camino Provides, Good Lord Protects!

Like my Mom said when I told her I am off on a Pilgrimage in Spain - "You Will Suffer!"
I honestly do n ot know how badly it eroded since 2019 but in 2022 it was no picnic either..
I don't remember it being an issue in 2016, 2017, or 2019. Definitely much worse in 2023.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We walked it in 2015. I didn't think it a problem at all and said as much a year or two ago in a thread about how bad it was. Then I saw some pictures. :eek:
I walked it in 2015 and 2017. I have no recollection of it being a difficult stretch, so apparently a lot of erosion has happened in the last few years on the way to Zubiri.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Check out this earlier thread re
the descent into Zubiri for relevant posts.

I would NOT follow the camino path any further beyond the Puerto de Erro for it becomes hell. After one ghastly descent in 2004 for the next 9 CFs I always walked down the N135 road verges to Zubiri.

In dry weather I would follow the camino to Puerto de Erro where a food truck is often parked. From there walk on the verges of the N135. In rain or snow I would only follow the N135 from Roncesvalles and not the path.

Last edited:
I really have no bad memories of any section from Roncesvalles to Pamplona in 2006. The horrid part for me was the descent with great huge steps with a cement factory to the right, somewhere along the route, and before the rest area near Zabaldika. (At that time, the albergue was not yet open. The route taken from the rest area was up the hill, and towards Trinidad de Arre.)
I hope, perhaps next year, to check out the reality for myself. I do NOT doubt the veracity of reports, and just wonder why the local authorities have not intervened to upgrade the underfoot conditions, given that it is absolutely in their interests to so do.

Certainly, in September last year, it was no problem - if you took care. It's certainly not everyone's favourite decent and is often singled out. I hope they don't do anything stupid with it like put in an escalator or something because it is part of the Camino, and as @mspath has helpfully pointed out above there are alternatives.

Hello;

I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous than I remembered. There are rumors 3 people were injured today, don't quote me, just sharing what I heard. Be careful!
Hello,
That resonates with me. In late April 2022 there was a stretch of downhill to Zubiri that was treacherous. Sharp-edged narrow rocks separated by spaces where a misplaced ankle might suffer some real damage. I was very grateful to get through that area. We heard that there were several injuries sustained in that area. God bless all our fellow pilgrims as they navigate that stretch!

Last edited:
Hello;

I walked it in 2018 and 2021 and hated it both times! More eroded?!!!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
We walked it in 2017 in good weather and it was tough. One of us fell, more, of a soft slip down. Absolutely use care and poles.

I honestly do n ot know how badly it eroded since 2019 but in 2022 it was no picnic either...

Good Luck to All the Pilgrims who currently approaching that stretch. Be vigilant, be careful, take your time, (USE POLES!) ... if it rains - use the road with the same caution!

Camino Provides, Good Lord Protects!
I walked in 2020 and 2022 and thought it fine, with poles. The worst part was when a group of four older (I'm in my 60s 🤣) gentlemen wobbled past me on their bicycles (yes, I was on the path, not the road 😉)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was treacherous in 5 Jan 24 when we came through. Pouring rain and gushing water. Took 2 hours for 4 kms. The rocky trail iced up nicely in the cold. Baby steps but managed to get to Zubiri in one piece.

That section was fine in early April 2023 - in dry weather. One needed to check feet placement at times, but nothing too bad - just a short section of rough, rocky trail with some ruts. But I’m an experienced back country hiker.

If your previous experience is mostly on well-graded trails then it may be more of a challenge. Using poles correctly will help immensely. And pick your route.

Hello;

7x down this trail and I never found it to be an issue. There are many more precarious descents on CF. I think the main problem is people out of condition get worn out coming up over the hill and down to Roncessvalles. Then they are sore and stiff and tend to hop down rather than methodically and purposefully place their feet and poles on those few slippery ledge sections in the last couple kliks. I did this stretch almost a month ago crossing the pyranees in rain and snow and sy freezing temperatures and rain almost ll the way down to Zubiri. Trail was VERY wet, but no issue.

My recollection of this early stretch of the Frances was its seeming interminableness. In the Cascades, especially in wet conditions, we who hike a fair amount are used to focusing—hard—when there is the risk of a fall or worse. In my view (and experience), it is always easier going up then down. It was a hot day. I stopped at Puerto de Erro for a refreshment at the "Taco Truck" before descending. Knowing where you are going to plant your foot on the next step is essential. Not a time to be thinking about puppies, baby goats, and lambs. I've fallen on my butt enough times as it is . . .

Certainly, in September last year, it was no problem - if you took care. It's certainly not everyone's favourite decent and is often singled out. I hope they don't do anything stupid with it like put in an escalator or something because it is part of the Camino, and as @mspath has helpfully pointed out above there are alternatives.
I walked it in late September 2023 and found it quite difficult. I had poles, but at one point I sat down and scooched on my bum. I was surprised it was still considered a passable trail.

I had no difficulties with it.

I just think about where I am placing my feet as I navigate this short stretch. I think that it does help to be thinking about the path rather than letting my mind drift off somewhere else or chatting to someone next to me.

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back