• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

An old man on the camino

Otmoor22

To encourage the youngsters considering the Norte/Primitivo route, I started from Hendaye on 5 July and arrived Santiago on 31 July, walking the complete distance. I am 71 years old and confess that at times I was a trifle weary. I was on my own except that I walked on a number of days with different people. July was not a good idea as in the early stages on the Norte there were a lot of young people walking short sections as a holiday, rather than as pilgrims. This led to overcrowding at albergues and somewhat rowdy behaviour. Once past Santander this problem diminished. Primitivo was challenging at times with some testing climbs but stunning views. A number of excellent albergues and some that were dire!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you for posting, its good that a more mature person posts about their experiences on the Norte, I think a lot of similar pilgrims are put of by the perceived hardness of the Norte.

71 is not old on the Camino Frances. I'm almost 67 and I beat my Novia's horse walking up O'Ciebrieo by 45 minutes. Had the privilege of walking a couple days with the Japanese couple who were 85 & 79. They had big packs and appeared to be doing very well. Walked with lot of people who are in our age group--The Soon To Be Dead

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are starting the Norte in a couple of weeks (August) and really had not thought about age being a factor. I will be 76 a few days after starting. This will be my 5th Camino.....all done after turning 70.
I have walked the CF twice, LePuy, and the VdlP last year in the heat of August.

I don't think age is as big a deal as younger folk think it is. Many of us on the forum are over 70 and don't consider themselves as "old" people.

Thanks for posting Otmoor
Very reassuring. You must have had an outboard motor attached to do it so quickly or be super fit. Well done.

You do say there were times when you felt weary but I guess they may have been the really longer days ?
How did your feet fare? (Any blisters?).

Did you do a short day from Irun? I'm expecting to.

Annie

Thanks for posting Otmoor
Very reassuring. You must have had an outboard motor attached to do it so quickly or be super fit. Well done.

You do say there were times when you felt weary but I guess they may have been the really longer days ?
How did your feet fare? (Any blisters?).

Did you do a short day from Irun? I'm expecting to.

Annie
Arrived Irun mid-day and was concerned that I may not get a bed at Pasajes De San Juan. Arrived at 5pm and I was the first there! Feet did suffer in first 3 or 4 days due to stoney paths, particularly on first day. Blisters on toes but soon healed. Fortunately I am fit, being a long distance runner. I promised that this time I would take it easy but once I am underway I am like a thing possessed - 100mph all the time. I think I am now too old to reform. Having said that I spent time with some lovely people, including many nearly 50 years younger than me. I wish you all the best on your camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Otmoor. So first arriving at Pasajes de San Juan! Did you end up with company and where did you find your first meal?
You don't fit into my picture of an old man by the way. Sounds like you left everyone in your wake, but being fit and used to long distances your body could cope with being pushed.
Anticipating my first day to be an eye opener !

I think the Camino turns us all into old men and women at some point. But we get over it and emerge rejuvenated.
Al, I think it keeps us young. In all seriousness, my GP tells me to Just Keep Walking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
To encourage the youngsters considering the Norte/Primitivo route, I started from Hendaye on 5 July and arrived Santiago on 31 July, walking the complete distance. I am 71 years old and confess that at times I was a trifle weary. I was on my own except that I walked on a number of days with different people. July was not a good idea as in the early stages on the Norte there were a lot of young people walking short sections as a holiday, rather than as pilgrims. This led to overcrowding at albergues and somewhat rowdy behaviour. Once past Santander this problem diminished. Primitivo was challenging at times with some testing climbs but stunning views. A number of excellent albergues and some that were dire!

Wow, your remarks were just what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if to do the Camino Frances or Camino del Norte or simply one of the shorter trails.
My grandparents were from Santander and I really wanted to return there. I had not been there since childhood. Your comments have revealed to me the trail that is meant to be.
Thank you.
Raul Gallo
Miami, FL

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back