• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any Sandgropers going in mid-Agust/September from Roncevalle

Karin Camino

CooWee.
Any fellow West Australians walking the Camino de Frances about 24 August from Roncevalles?
I'm arriving via London Stansted/Bilboa (gotta see the Gugenheim Museum) and then bus or train to Roncevalles.
Ive been reading this forum for months and I think I am finally all kitted out, following many recommendations, for my first Camino.
I climbed Emai Shan in South China in 1984, the Himalayas in Nepal 1987, Mt Augustus (twice the size of Uluru in West Australia) in 1988, over the jungle mountains of Choisel Island in the Solomon Islands in 1990, Machu Pichu in the Andes Peru in 2009, The Dolomite Mountains in 2010 and now its time for El Camino. Viva Espana!!
By the way, my physical training consists of a 30 minute walk per day, if that! I am not fit.
BUT, my mental training consists of positive thinking every other waking minute of the day.. :D
Maybe I will meet you along THE journey. Email me if you travelling around that time, it would be great to catch up...
Karin

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Karin - a croweater here (by the way - there are a couple of sandgropers walking at the moment)! Welcome to the forum and great to hear your plans. The training for my Caminos has only ever been a walk around the block (which does just happen to be 5kms and up and down hill) but it is the mental attitude that gets you there in the end. It is such an exciting journey. If you are interested in an Australian Credential Check out the post I put on the forum about the Austrlaian Friends of the Camino. Enjoy your planning. Cheers, Janet

Re: good luck

Hello
I dont feel so slack now re training ..I am doing a little but not much more
Camino is Santiago is wonderful ...It has a very special comradeship ,friendly fellow pilgrims and lots of International pilgrims
I have done all once and twice to smaller sections.

I am from Melboourne and this sept will do 2 weeks on the Via Francigena

Only a few days for you to go until departure now karin yeah I bet that feels great !.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
sandgropers and crows are birds. We Aussies have a warped sense of humour and we have nicknames for people from the different states. Sandgropers are people from Western Australia, Croweaters are from South Autralia. Mind you the story goes that you boil a boot and a crow together and when cooked you throw away the crow and eat the boot - the crows being so tough! Can't say I have ever eaten one,and indeed don't know anyone who has, but that is what we are called. cheers, Janet

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi k sandgoper, it's Joanna from Vic attempting to train feet while working full time plus. . . Think mental training is ok! Leaving from Leon oct 24 so baby walk. Any clues on how to get from Santiago to Porto easily. . Or is there somewhere more interesting to visit? Need to get to lisbon to catch a flight. Pleased not to plan on bed bug experience! Cheers. Joanna

Hi Joanna,

One option for Santiago to Porto is by train with a change at Vigo, but pretty straightforward.

Use http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html and look for trains from Santiago de Compostela to Vigo. There are regular trains throughout the day. There is then an International Train from Vigo to Porto departing at either 07:46 or 19:37 Spanish time. You gain an hour back as you cross over into Portugal. Details on this train at http://www.cp.pt/cp/displayPage.do?vgne ... 01a8c0RCRD.

Train journey is very scenic and I can recommend it. There may also be direct or indirect bus options but I do not have details of those to hand but may post later if I get time to look into it.

Regards
Mig

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.