• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anybody use speedgoats?

deniseketcham

From Austin, Texas
Time of past OR future Camino
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from Lisboa to Porto.

I’ve purchased some Speedgoats, as the fit seemed better than Challenger 7 and I intend to use toe sock liners for blisters. However now I have doubts due to the continued amount of road/cobblestone walking north of Porto.

Does anybody have experience with Portuguese route and Speedgoat? Is it the wrong shoe for the amount of road?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wore hightop Speedgoats on a short Camino and then a 100-mile through hike closer to home. Performed great on both.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
(CF walker) Shifted from Altra Lone Peaks that I had worn for years (upstream of SJPP) to Speedgoats when I started the CF last year, precisely due to the extent-of-hard-pavement problem, and I was very happy. However, I did use my stiff orthotic inserts because, as you say, the very flexible sole is uncomfortable on stony/cobblestone sections. Similar non-prescription inserts such as Superfeet (US brand) might serve you well.

I quite literally just finished the Camino Portuguese coastal route (+extra days on central + spiritual variant) a few hours ago in speedgoats. 360km total on this pair.

They held up well enough, but the pavement definitely did a number on the tread. They are now toast I brought a second pair to do camino Finnestere & a week on the Norte. If you're just doing the normal 11-14 days on Portuguese, they will be fine.

I trained in this model as well and didn't have any issues. Unfortunately, the longer days, warmer weather (more sweat), and some rain did give me two blisters (that healed nicely with compheed patches and didn't give me any problems) and athletes foot 👣. I got some antifungal at a local pharmacy and have been able to keep it in check!

Not being up on all of the latest brand names, I was hoping to see a post about goats being available to rent to carry packs along the route. I should think this would be a favorable option...the counties would not have to maintain the brush along the side of the path, it would be a patient listener along the meseta for the drivel of conversation that one sometimes comes up with when walking alone, the water bottle would be handy, and it would make it seem as if all of the pilgrims smelled better. I think this could be a thing.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from Lisboa to Porto.

I’ve purchased some Speedgoats, as the fit seemed better than Challenger 7 and I intend to use toe sock liners for blisters. However now I have doubts due to the continued amount of road/cobblestone walking north of Porto.

Does anybody have experience with Portuguese route and Speedgoat? Is it the wrong shoe for the amount of road?
I hiked my first Camino in Topos and loved them for their large toe box. I bought a pair of Speedgoat 5's in prep for my second Camino for the cushiony comfort of Hokas - I own several pairs for daily training and general wear. After putting some good mountain hiking miles on the Speedgaoats, I reverted back to the Topos for my second the Camino Del Norte /Primitivo. I wish Hoka would add the larger toe box, but alas I am hopelessly a Topo fan for these long treks and will be wearing them for the Camino Mazarabe this fall.

I wore speedgoat 4 last year when I did the coastal route from Porto to Santiago. This was my 4th camino and the only time I completed one with no blisters.
I am leaving on Monday to to do the Del Norte from Bilbao to Santiago and plan on using the speedgoat 5 this time, but l would say shoes are personal preference and different shoes work better for some people than others depending on their feet.

I wore HOKA Speedgoat V5 on both the Camino San Salvador and Camino Primitivo in 2022 and they were great for me. The Vibram sole was especially welcome at times. Wore the Speedgoat’s again on the UK Coast to Coast in 2023…good results however a couple of days in the Lake District hip waders would have been preferable 😂

Walked the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago de Compostela in 2018 in Merell Moab’s and PEI Island Walk in 2023 in HOKA Bondi’s V8. IF I was to walk the Camino Portuguese again I would likely choose the HOKA Bondi’s over the Speegoat’s as I found the cobblestones to be the toughest walking surface ever…cushioning being the main reason.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’ve been preparing for Camino France, walking 5 - 10 mile rugged mountain trails in NorCal for the past month, with my full pack. Wearing Speedgoats, great fit and grip, and no blisters. Starting May 10 from SJPP. I’m 74, regular hiker and runner, and this is my first Camino.

Thank you everyone. I feel like the surfaces in the CP don’t compare to the CF, at least from Lisbon to Porto. There is so little gravel or dirt and the stages excessively long. It’s a good thing we weren’t near any train stations on some of my most miserable days, as I probably would have given up early.

I wore new SpeedGoat 5s on the Camino Portugues (Lisbon to Santiago) last year. By the end, they were toast, sole was badly worn and there was no cushioning. In a post last year, they were discussed and someone commented that they had a usage life of 400 to 500 miles. I agree with that, though think it is a bit less than 400. I have tried Topos Ultradventure and like them as they seem to wear better, but the normal size is no wider than the SpeedGoat 5 wide. Have tried to get Topo wides, but they are very hard to find.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, I am trying to confirm that starting my walk from O Porriño qualifies for the last 100 km, and qualifies for a Compostela. I am finding conflicting information in different places. Camino...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back