ATM Fees.UK Cards Spain

• Thread starter Former member 102963
  • Start date
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Slowninja

Apr 10, 2022
Barnstaple uk
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 2019 and 2022
Hi folks. Old topic I know! Arrived in Valencia last night. Not been here for few months. Seems to be a few banks that have increased ATM fees for UK cards. Deutsche Bank still feeless (Monzo card) and apparently rate is good though I have to check this. Showing 1.15 on app. €7 is becoming the norm.
In Santiago, the Santander hole in the wall wanted 7 euro's transaction charge on a Starling card. However, Abanka ?? (the local bank I think) wanted a more realistic 1.8 euros. It pays to try a few if you are not in a rush.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
F

Former member 102963

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2014
Kent, UK
canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
My point is that if you are a UK cardholder DB is a good option to use as a ATM. Was that not clear!
Having never, in my nearly 60 years of visiting Spain, have I ever seen a branch of Deutsche Bank so I can understand @biarritzdon 's bemusement.
Apparently there are some branches dotted around the peninsular - probably not enough for most here to get excited about but thank you for pointing it out.

Deutsche Bank Branches in Spain

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
F

Former member 102963

Having never, in my nearly 60 years of visiting Spain, have I ever seen a branch of Deutsche Bank so I can understand @biarritzdon 's bemusement.
Apparently there are some branches dotted around the peninsular - probably not enough for most here to get excited about but thank you for pointing it out.

Deutsche Bank Branches in Spain
Wel I googled DB this morning and there was one within a mile so you need to widen your horizons!

Reactions: DoughnutANZ
F

Former member 102963

Abanca all the way if you find them. Always select EUR for the currency too, as that question often gets people flustered.
Thank you. I wasn’t intending to start a big debate or attract any abuse (albeit inevitable on here)., just a quick bit of help to UK cardholders that I could have used 30 hours ago! to save data and walking about!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2014
Kent, UK
canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
Wel I googled DB this morning and there was one within a mile so you need to widen your horizons!
Yes, but a mile from where? (And there's no need to be so passive-aggressive, I was only trying to help!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Mary M

Mar 20, 2016
2016 Primativo, have walked the 1200 km Shikoku 88 temple pilgrimage in 2015 June.
Hi folks. Old topic I know! Arrived in Valencia last night. Not been here for few months. Seems to be a few banks that have increased ATM fees for UK cards. Deutsche Bank still feeless (Monzo card) and apparently rate is good though I have to check this. Showing 1.15 on app. €7 is becoming the norm.
I thought the ATM fees were outrageous!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Aug 7, 2021
Myfunself#21
2024 Via Podiensis
Hi @TravellingMan2022 . Thanks for starting this thread. I appreciate the warnings and information about ATM fees from you and the other posts. When €7 might get you a night in an albergue or a meal, that is a lot on money to spend on an ATM fee. All incredibly useful as I plan for my September Camino.

F

Former member 102963

Hi @TravellingMan2022 . Thanks for starting this thread. I appreciate the warnings and information about ATM fees from you and the other posts. When €7 might get you a night in an albergue or a meal, that is a lot on money to spend on an ATM fee. All incredibly useful as I plan for my September Camino.
Thank you @Rita Flower . Appreciate you taking the time to post. Yes all saves a bit of time getting up to the moment info. Fees seem to be bouncing around at mo! I’m here for a couples of months so if anything changes will advise!

Reactions: Rita Flower and Cgc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.