• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Availability of food on train to StJPdeP

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - Pamplona March/April 2013
I'm sure other people have wondered about thus too but I can't find a posted question on it ... We are due to arrive into Biarritz 2 pm - most unlikely we'd get to Bayonne for 3pm train - if by some (Camino) miracle we did make that 3pm train, is it possible to buy lunch/snacks on that little train?
Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
falcon269 said:
is it possible to buy lunch/snacks on that little train?
No. Visualize a long street car!

But you can buy a meal and snacks in the Bayonne railroad station while you wait for the TER train to SJPdP.

Bon appetite!

Margaret Meredith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for that - yes, we will eat in Bayonne then and wait for the later train rather than risk very hungry grumpy children (and adults)!

the gaps between trains are long,if you are flying into biaritz grab a snack at your departure airport,if flying from the uk there will be pret a manger and many others there.If you can get the 3pm train it gets you to st jean in time to get to where you are staying and have supper.....the later train may get you there about 9pmin which case dinner choices will be limited

carry high energy bars with you on to the flight, then on to the train, but try to avoid buying at the airport - food prices there require a Gold American Express Card.

I believe there is a cafe at the bayonne station.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, if I remember correctly there is at least one cafe just to the left of the station entrance. They do toated filled baguettes, which should keep the wolf from the door. Buen Camino! :D

The Bayonne railroad station bar/cafe is open from early morning through the last night train. They also have free Wifi and many plugs for computers.

Margaret Meredith

Thanks tyreek and meredith I thought my memory was correct.

One way of coping with children is to point out that the Camino starts from the moment you wake up and start travelling.

Things on the Camino will be different- otherwise why do it?

Yes, this food is not what you would normally eat this time of day, but you are on pilgrimage and this is what we have to do to get to St James.

It adds to the excitement and interest of the journey.

In Melide my 21 year old son had octopus because that's what pilgrims passing through the town are supposed to do. He hated it, but accepted that this was what pilgrimage is about.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
my son and i had a great sandwich at the station at Bayonne...but my point was that if the need for a sandwich means you get a later train to St Jean is it worth it? We missed the train and had a 4 hour wait...(train was late then they had to add carriages because of the numbers of people).

PS. the pulpo in Melinde was great!

na2than

spot on. that is why I suggest carrying high energy bars. you are better eating those on a train that is travlling to SJPP than hanging round Bayonne station because you stopped to eat.

When a child is hungry then life is miserable for everyone. It is worth carrying a food supply that may not be appatizing but which means you don't have to miss the earliest train you can catch.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
There has been some discussion about getting one way tickets to have more flexibility. Unfortunately I had to cut my Camino short because I was getting shin splints. Because I had a flexible...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back