Bed Bugs at Home

BoyRoger

BoyRoger IOW England
Apr 23, 2013
Isle of Wight
Time of past OR future Camino
I completed my Camino at the beginning of May this year , I didn't sufer any bed bug bites on my camino and took all the precautions when I arrived home but today my wife has a line of bites on her ankle. We have thoroughly examined our bed for bugs or signs of bugs but found nothing. What I'm wondering is how long after arriving home would any bugs I'd transported home start to bite? I would be grateful for any advice please.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

basquelady

Apr 30, 2013
Lancaster, UK
CF (2013), CF Pamplona to V del Bierzo (2014), Baztanés, then CF (2016), CF Sahagun to SDC (2017)
I completed my Camino at the beginning of May this year , I didn't sufer any bed bug bites on my camino and took all the precautions when I arrived home but today my wife has a line of bites on her ankle. We have thoroughly examined our bed for bugs or signs of bugs but found nothing. What I'm wondering is how long after arriving home would any bugs I'd transported home start to bite? I would be grateful for any advice please.
Sure they're not just midge-type bites? I've had a lot of these in the last week or so (in Lancaster, UK). I'd been doing a lot of gardening in the wonderful dry weather. VERY itchy!

Reactions: BoyRoger

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
I believe that bed bugs can survive quite long (months) without food, depending on circumstances. However, I'd guess it is very unlikely that your wife's bites are from a bedbug brought home in May. Fleas would be my first guess. Fleas can live in grass lawns outside, so it is possible even if you don't have pets.

Reactions: BoyRoger
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Jun 16, 2009
UK
camino-primitivo-2012.blogspot.co.uk
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Yes, dog fleas are not fussy and will enjoy humans too. They also, same as bed-bugs, like breakfast dinner and tea. (3 bites in a row) If you see one a damp bar of soap is a good flea trap.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Before panicking (understandable!) you really need to know what kind of bug bit your wife. http://bedbugger.com has a lot of good information regarding this - Be prepared to spend hours reading/navigating that website as it is a bit disorganized, but the information on it is usually sound.

Also, bed bugs can enter your home via a lot of ways, not only the camino ...

Buen Camino, SY

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Annie Little

May 11, 2013
Australia
Frances Sept-Oct 2016
Oh dear the bed bug paranoia ... I totally understand .... got home two weeks ago and have spent two weeks washing , rewashing after leaving everything in black plastic in sun for five days .... live in unit so neighbours think I am mad :D:(..... I also threw out things that I probably did not need to .....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
I am about three weeks out on the Norte averaging close to 30 to 35 kms and at this point aside from blisters, I haven’t had a lot of physical issues. I have one week left with a flight booked...
Hiya! Quick question, in order to go to a Centro de Salud (health Center) do I need to make an appointment? I’ve got a very very painful blister that has been on and off for about 4 weeks and I’m...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.