Bed Bugs Bercianos del Real Camino at Santa Clara Albergue

Caminata

May 28, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
11 Camino's since 2012. Various ones repeated. Fra
We stayed the night of 2nd October at Santa Clara Albergue in a private room.
We woke in the early hours of 3rd October to find 3 big bed bugs. I had numerous bites. We called the owners who both came straight away. We turned the bed upside down to find another 2 bed bugs.
The wife was apologetic but the husband seemed almost annoyed at us.
We have been staying in private rooms room all along the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Milly dipa

CF 2018,2019. LePuy 2022
Sep 4, 2018
September “2018”
We woke in the early hours of 3rd October to find 3 big bed bugs. I had numerous bites. We called the owners who both came straight away. We turned the bed upside down to find another 2 bed bugs.
We stayed in a private room there on 11th May and I also got bitten and I suspected it was Santa Clara but could not be certain. Reflecting on this a few days later, I recalled seeing a small blood spot on the sheets. The interesting thing was I slept in a double bed with my husband and only I was bitten.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
The interesting thing was I slept in a double bed with my husband and only I was bitten
This is very typical. Many people (perhaps up to 80%, by one estimate I've seen) are not allergic to the bed bug bite and they never react. So they think they have not been bitten.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Caminata

May 28, 2012
Brisbane Australia
11 Camino's since 2012. Various ones repeated. Fra
We stayed in a private room there on 11th May and I also got bitten and I suspected it was Santa Clara but could not be certain. Reflecting on this a few days later, I recalled seeing a small blood spot on the sheets. The interesting thing was I slept in a double bed with my husband and only I was bitten.
Hi.... we also have a double bed and the 3 bugs were on my side when I turned the light on after 2 hours of itching. Only I got bitten.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ljubljana, Slovenia
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hi.... we also have a double bed and the 3 bugs were on my side when I turned the light on after 2 hours of itching. Only I got bitten.
Just don't scratch the bite spots with your fingernails, only with finger pads. All the rest re advice is already available on the forum.

Reactions: MickMac
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ljubljana, Slovenia
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Maybe as C Clearly explained.... my wife may have been bitten but is not alergic. This makes sense, as we have walked 11 Caminos and I have had bed bugs 3 times and she hasnt ( but maybe she has been bitten as suggested above and just hasnt known ?)
Yep, if there is a mosquito in the room of 50 I'll get biten. Same with bedbugs :D

Reactions: MickMac

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
I have never stayed at this albergue. But if I may make a recommendation I have stayed at the Albergue parroquil Casa Rectoral. It is a donativo with a wonderful communal dinner/breakfast. There is a great meditation service and the Hospitaleros are the best. If I had to pick one of the best albergues that capture the spirit of the Camino this would be at the top of anyone's list.

Reactions: Davo

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Dec 28, 2007
Norway and UK
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Yet another reminder that people start checking their beds before they lie down on them rather than naming specific places which could be clear of bugs in a day or two if they sort the problem out! Staying in private accommodation does *not* protect against bugs, just as staying in albergues doesn't guarantee you get bitten. Check your beds, don't put anything including yourself on the bed until you have checked, talk to the hospitaler@s if you find bugs, and treat your kit if you have been bitten.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Maybe as C Clearly explained.... my wife may have been bitten but is not alergic. This makes sense, as we have walked 11 Caminos and I have had bed bugs 3 times and she hasnt ( but maybe she has been bitten as suggested above and just hasnt known ?)

Just out of curiousity, what blood type are each of you?

Aug 14, 2013
Port Orange, Florida and Syracuse, New York
Francis SJPDP-SDC (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) , Norte 2018
Pilgrim Office 2018, Hospitalero Acebo 2019
Just out of curiousity, what blood type are each of you?

Interesting question Annie. I would be interested in knowing the results of any research you have done. Fact is I have found bed bugs on my body various times in my six Camino’s Francis and Norte. Not once have I had a reaction or welt. I’m A- by the way.

Reactions: Anniesantiago
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Interesting question Annie. I would be interested in knowing the results of any research you have done. Fact is I have found bed bugs on my body various times in my six Camino’s Francis and Norte. Not once have I had a reaction or welt. I’m A- by the way.

I'm 0+ and it seems mosquitos consider me as good as surf and turf!
So far only 1 bedbug bite on my first Camino - but I take a lot of precautions, and it could just be luck.

Reactions: gerip

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
This is very typical. Many people (perhaps up to 80%, by one estimate I've seen) are not allergic to the bed bug bite and they never react. So they think they have not been bitten.
If I had not been able to see the bites on my leg I may not have known that I had been bitten, as I didn't have a reaction, though I do react badly to mosquito bites.

Ernesto.IT

Oct 7, 2013
Italy
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

You should go back and complain !!! Course that IS SEXUAL DISCRIMINATION !!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

ParistoCapeCod

"Come on mom this 14k isn't going to walk itself."
Aug 31, 2013
Cape Cod, MA, USA
www.lisamorales.com
Portuguese, Primitivo, Norte. Hospitalera
Please both put all of your clothes in a hot dryer, and your packs in plastic as they, or their eggs, will travel with you.

Reactions: Kanga
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

NancyLee

Feb 23, 2018
Canada
I stayed at Santa Clara mid September. She was lovely; he horrible, especially when we asked for blankets which we never got. No bedbugs then but in Eirexe at the albergue right on the main road, my friend got wicked bites needing cortisone and antibiotics! We tried to email them but interestingly enough, seems they don’t have even a website!
NancyLee

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.