• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best app to accurately record distances, elevation and descent per day

browneyedsusie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April - June 2024
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use "Relive". It records your track, as well as a graphic elevation profile, inserts any photo's you take along the way at the appropriate spot, and allows you to create a daily video of your travels. I start it in the morning and it runs smoothly in the background without using a lot of power. I've been using it for about 5 Camino's. And, it's free.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The apps that I use are Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim. They both have gps maps that you can use offline along with some cultural/historical information and listings of accommodations.

I also use the Gronze website extensively. It's only in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Strava is a good one. I use for all my hikes at home and used it on the Camino too. It has a low draw on the phone battery and automatically pauses when you stop. Tracks distance, elevation, average pace, time, etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Google "Gronze available in English". Not an app, but it's there.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I use "Relive". It records your track, as well as a graphic elevation profile, inserts any photo's you take along the way at the appropriate spot, and allows you to create a daily video of your travels. I start it in the morning and it runs smoothly in the background without using a lot of power. I've been using it for about 5 Camino's. And, it's free.
Can you use Relive with aeroplane mode ON?

Out of a genuine sense of curiosity, may I ask why? I may be missing out on something, but I’m not sure what it could be.

‘Mind your own business!’ would be a perfectly reasonable reply, of course.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used this too. Its a fun way to share with friends and family back home and takes a lot of work out of it for you.

Just downloaded Relive. It’s free for one week of use, then pay subscription
Just downloaded the Relive app. Unfortunately, it’s free for 7 days, then $38.99/yr.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Out of a genuine sense of curiosity, may I ask why? I may be missing out on something, but I’m not sure what it could be.

‘Mind your own business!’ would be a perfectly reasonable reply, of course.
I have been keeping a record of all my walks/hikes/ski tours over the decades and print out a book each time I have enough. It has minimal data but distances/gradient etc is something that I've consistantly always included :)

Lots of great suggestions. Thank you all - such a great wealth of knowledge on this forum. I'll download and trial them before I go to see which one will best suit my needs.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Like some others, I use the Relive app. You can use it free, or pay the subscription for extra features. So far, I have not purchased a subscription and the free version works for what I need... records everything about a hike, run, bike, etc, inserts photos you take along the way, will create a video of the trek you can share with others, etc.

Strava app is what you’re looking for including distances, elevation, average speed, etc. I use Garmin Instinct watch that I sync with Strava app in my iPhone. I like it a lot.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I generally use Strava mainly for cycling but more recently for hillwalking as well. It is quite limited in map options and apps such as Outdoor Active generally give a better choice especially if you opt for a paid subscription. Relive is linked to my Strava account and sends me an email offering to create a video after each event but I really only use it for special trips.

For a full day on the Camino, particularly if you are taking phone photos as well, battery life can be an issue. Bringing a power-pack and recharging at lunch is one option but switching to Airplane mode is even better. It also removes the distraction of WhatsApp beeps and spam emails.

I generally use Strava mainly for cycling but more recently for hillwalking as well. It is quite limited in map options and apps such as Outdoor Active generally give a better choice especially if you opt for a paid subscription. Relive is linked to my Strava account and sends me an email offering to create a video after each event but I really only use it for special trips.

For a full day on the Camino, particularly if you are taking phone photos as well, battery life can be an issue. Bringing a power-pack and recharging at lunch is one option but switching to Airplane mode is even better. It also removes the distraction of WhatsApp beeps and spam emails.
I thought about using the phone on aeroplane mode for the very reason I wanted to save battery life but wasn't sure if that impacted on the functionality of the walking apps.

With Strava I find you can turn on airplane mode after you start recording but need a signal beforehand to load the map I think. With some of the hillwalking apps you can download the map beforehand when you have a good WiFi signal and use it offline during the hike.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
just use Directions in Google Maps - no need for eye strain as Google lady will simply say "turn here" etc wherever needed from your pocket

On my iPhone, I have “GPS Tracker” and use it often. It tells the time and distance of tracks recorded, but also, I can save its GPX files and use other tools to tell the distance (such as https://gpsvisualizer.com). I don’t know whether Android has it, but I’m sure Android, like iPhone, has dozens of tracking apps.

Attachments

• IMG_7643.jpg
    IMG_7643.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3
just use Directions in Google Maps - no need for eye strain as Google lady will simply say "turn here" etc wherever needed from your pocket
@browneyedsusie isn't looking for an app for directions. She wants an app that will record her actual walking distances and elevation gain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I use Geo Tracker. It's free and available in the Google Play store. It's the best free tracker I've yet to find. Not sure if it's available for the iPhone. Another option that I have but I've yet to actually use it is the paid version of Alltrails. I know it has a tracker but I have yet to figure out how to use it since I like Geo Tracker so much. I know that Alltrails is available for both the Android and the Iphone.

Thanks . I've just loaded the paid version of Alltrails and I have GPX tracker so I'll trial them both and see which uses less battery and has the stats I'm wanting to record :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Now I am confused. At #4 you recommend wise pilgrim app so are you saying it is a record and not directions app?
You are right, Wise Pilgrim app is for directions. I think that the title of the thread was changed to clarify what kind of app @browneyedsusie is looking for after I made that post (or I didn't read it correctly).

You are right, Wise Pilgrim app is for directions. I think that the title of the thread was changed to clarify what kind of app @browneyedsusie is looking for after I made that post (or I didn't read it correctly).
Yes it is confusing and with respect it would be better if the OP simply said what she WANTS, but if she really is after a recorder (eg to import into Google Earth and make a flyover?) then OutdoorActive is the one I use for such tasks.

She can actually PAUSE it for a coffee break or simply edit that out later.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Let your body do the talking
The less you bring from home the better
You are entering an area that has a very different culture than us , embrace it and enjoy the days and weeks ahead.

Just downloaded Relive. It’s free for one week of use, then pay subscription

Just downloaded the Relive app. Unfortunately, it’s free for 7 days, then $38.99/yr.
The basic features are free. You’ll be limited in the number of photos, editing options, etc. without a subscription but otherwise the app works.

I love my Garmin Fenix watch/Garmin Connect. . . . Something else I own, that most of the features on are a mystery to me. 🤣
Wouldn't leave it at home though . . .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use Under Armour Map my fitness. It records your tracks with or without apple watch. So you could continue to use it after Santiago walk.

The basic features are free. You’ll be limited in the number of photos, editing options, etc. without a subscription but otherwise the app works.
That was the way it used to be, but when I tried to use it for my Camino last year, it seemed to be basically unusable without a paid subscription.

I've been recording the routes that our local Camino walking group takes each week. I had been using Strava but I found out you can't do much with what you record without a paid subscription. Pretty much all I could do was take a screenshot of the map of the walk to share with the group. More recently I've been using an app called Geo Tracker that I had downloaded a while ago but never got around to using. In addition to showing me the route on a map, it will allow me to save a file (GPX, KML, etc.) of the route that I can later import into Google My Maps or Organic Maps or another mapping software. I don't know that it (or Strava for that matter) tracks elevation changes, though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
mapy.cz is a great map app with the Camino route built in, and you can use it to track your walk. You can set it to automatically pause when you stop walking.
I thought this would be useful so I downloaded it and tried to use it to track my walk today. But in order to save the track, it seems you need a Seznam.cz account. And it won't let me make an account. I've been trying for a few days and every time I try I receive the response "Registration not completed due to prevention of mass/robotic registrations. Please repeat registration process later." Until they sort that out, I don't know if any new users will be able to track their walks in a permanent way.

I thought this would be useful so I downloaded it and tried to use it to track my walk today. But in order to save the track, it seems you need a Seznam.cz account. And it won't let me make an account. I've been trying for a few days and every time I try I receive the response "Registration not completed due to prevention of mass/robotic registrations. Please repeat registration process later." Until they sort that out, I don't know if any new users will be able to track their walks in a permanent way.
Are we complicating life a bit with these applications ?
Got AF at end of Norte last year , only realised when home and replacing blood pressure tablets.
Cardiologist a few weeks later gives it a jump start ……back into rhythm.
Will I get the watch that shows all………his comments and I quote;
“ Are you really going to be looking at the watch all day “” ?
We love the KISS way of life , which is getting harder as traders are even trying to stop cash….
Imagine that in Spain on the Camino …..no cash 😂😂😂🤫🤫

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Got AF at end of Norte last year , only realised when home and replacing blood pressure tablets.
We love the KISS way of life , which is getting harder as traders are even trying to stop cash….
You're right, generally speaking. For me personally though, I have to make sure my heart rate doesn't go too high, having somehow managed to survive 2 (count'em!) cardiac arrests.
I sometimes push a bit hard up hills when adrenalin overrides common sense.
Despite having an all-singing/all- dancing fitness watch, the heart related monitor is pretty much my main focus.
Distinctly remember getting to the top of the hill between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães on the Portuguese Central Camino and 'having a minute' only to realise that I was leaning against part of a shrine to a Pilgrim that had passed . . . made me think . . .

I'm using the applications to create tracks, not for my Camino routes in Spain (there are already plenty of tracks for those), but for the routes around Toronto that our Camino walking group takes. That way, when I'm training I can walk them again on days that the Camino walking group doesn’t meet. Or we can walk them as a group when the regular walk leader is away. The walking group also likes to see the tracks posted on a map at the end of the walk so they can see and/or show others where they've been on the map.

I trust that isn't too unacceptable.

I'm using the applications to create tracks, not for my Camino routes in Spain (there are already plenty of tracks for those), but for the routes around Toronto that our Camino walking group takes. That way, when I'm training I can walk them again on days that the Camino walking group doesn’t meet. Or we can walk them as a group when the regular walk leader is away. The walking group also likes to see the tracks posted on a map at the end of the walk so they can see and/or show others where they've been on the map.

Yes this is what I was doing using OutdoorActive as stated above.

To use simply press START and put in pocket and at end press STOP

Then you can import to Google Earth as both a STATIC file of the route and as a dynamic file so when you play the file it goes at correct speeds and pauses where you paused etc - easy peasy

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Your explanation is very acceptable David.

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.