Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Best place to start in italy

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

jl

Veteran Member
May 30, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
If it is mid to late May you are more than likely able to walk up to GSB Pass. The roads could well be open except for the few hundred metres across the pass. I was there at the end of May and that is what I found, though I suspect it depends on the year. You are more than likely able to get to Saint Rhemy - a very pretty village. Aosta is a great place to start otherwise.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Which direction? SdC - Aosta is a beautiful area walked and climbed there often when I was younger...much younger. Thinking practically I would consider starting from Torino (not my favorite city) headed SW to catch the Via Tolosana in Arles. Rome? The Assisi Way begins in Vezelay flows through or closeby Aosta and would allow you to miss some those high passes - lodging on both the Via Francigena and the Assisi Way can be austere. I have walked from La Verne through Assisi to Rome fantastic views art and architecture but can be a challenge logistically food lodging etc.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Jul 15, 2005
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Seems like a good enough place, though I'd mildly suggest starting the walk upon disembarkation at the airport or arrival from a train, even though on first go that might just be to wherever you'll sleep there.

And then (less mildly) walking from there all the Way to Rome, not just some section.

There's something from completing a pilgrimage through walking every step of the Way that is easily lost from unnecessary compromise (health problems excepted always).

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are considering walking for about 3 weeks on either the Via Francigena or the Via Francesco in Italy. Im having trouble finding information that compares the two options...
I saw this link on FB today and it is useful to give us some idea of the serious nature of snow around the GSB pass. This is saying that the snow has been very heavy this year, but that the pass...
Next Spring my wife and I are planning to walk the Via Francigena from Lucca to Rome. We plan to arrange our own accommodation. Can anyone advise if there are companies who do luggage transfers...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides