Booked all the tickets

chiahc

Feb 12, 2016
The Netherlands
Time of past OR future Camino
3rd May 2016
23th Sep 2023
Hi,

Thanks to this Forum for providing so much valuable information. Finally I've booked all the tickets for my first camino. It will be a challenge because I will walk with my father (73 years old) who could only speak Taiwanese and Chinese. Fortunately his physical condition is very good, maybe even better than me, haha.

I am very excited. I feel like telling everyone about our trip!!!

We will arrive St Jean Pied de Port 3rd of May. Buen Camino! - Chia

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Peter Fransiscus

Be a Rainbow in someone else's cloud.
Jul 5, 2014
Netherlands
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Hi,

Thanks to this Forum for providing so much valuable information. Finally I've booked all the tickets for my first camino. It will be a challenge because I will walk with my father (73 years old) who could not speak English at all. Fortunately his physical condition is very good, maybe even better than me, haha.

We will arrive St Jean Pied de Port 3rd of May. Buen Camino!
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Reactions: chiahc and NualaOC
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Joodle

Oct 26, 2015
Washington state
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
Hi,

Thanks to this Forum for providing so much valuable information. Finally I've booked all the tickets for my first camino. It will be a challenge because I will walk with my father (73 years old) who could not speak English at all. Fortunately his physical condition is very good, maybe even better than me, haha.

We will arrive St Jean Pied de Port 3rd of May. Buen Camino!
I will be a few days behind you, arriving in SJPP on the 11th and starting out on the 12th. I am so excited too. I wish I had my Dad to walk with. He would have loved it so much.

Reactions: marbuck and chiahc

chiahc

Feb 12, 2016
The Netherlands
3rd May 2016
23th Sep 2023
I will be a few days behind you, arriving in SJPP on the 11th and starting out on the 12th. I am so excited too. I wish I had my Dad to walk with. He would have loved it so much.

Buen Camino Joodle. We were talking about this trip for three years. However, last few years I just started my business and it was difficult for me to do this trip with my dad financially. Last December his girlfriend all of sudden got sick and passed away within one month, it was shocked to us and
also a waking moment for me. I don't want to wait another year! Luckily the business goes well now so we decide to fulfill our camino dream this year -- no matter what.

On your way when you think of your dad, I am sure he will be with you...

Chia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

LeiaLane

Jan 23, 2016
2016 Camino France, 2017 Le Puy.
Hi,

Thanks to this Forum for providing so much valuable information. Finally I've booked all the tickets for my first camino. It will be a challenge because I will walk with my father (73 years old) who could only speak Taiwanese and Chinese. Fortunately his physical condition is very good, maybe even better than me, haha.

We will arrive St Jean Pied de Port 3rd of May. Buen Camino! - Chia

Hi Chia,

So great to hear you will finally has this trip with your dad.
I'm from Taiwan too!
I will arrive SJPP 23th April and stat my walk the next day.

Burn Camino !

Jennifer

Nov 22, 2011
Aotearoa-New Zealand
KiwiOnCamino.blogspot.co.nz
please see signature
It will be a challenge because I will walk with my father (73 years old)

Hi and enjoy.

I expect to pass through St Jean around the time you two plan to start.

I understand your father's dilemma. I am 74 and speak (almost) no French and Spanish. You will make a fine interpreter for him, I am sure.

Should we meet I hope to see you have done adequate training and preparation. I suggest, gradually, you both build up your walking (with your gear on your back) to become comfortable doing each day the distances you hope to do in Spain each day. And I strongly suggest you do hill work, working up to (say) 700 metres of elevation before lunch (remember the first day has a climb of a lot more than that). And many suggest starting your actual Camino slowly, building up the daily distances as you become fitter. And here I may be teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs. But keep your packs as light as possible. A commonly quoted weight is not more than 7 kg (15 lbs) including water and snacks and everything. There are many packing lists to consult. They all seem to come down to light weight (but durable) gear and not many changes of clothes. And think layers to put on when needed for cold (and windy) weather.

And many who post on these pages suggest taking time to enjoy the people and surroundings you encounter. And that a Camino is not a race.

I wish you both well.

Ultreia (keep striving)
Kia Kaha (be strong)
Buen Camino (travel well)

Reactions: chiahc

chiahc

Feb 12, 2016
The Netherlands
3rd May 2016
23th Sep 2023
Hi Chia,

So great to hear you will finally has this trip with your dad.
I'm from Taiwan too!
I will arrive SJPP 23th April and stat my walk the next day.

Burn Camino !

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Enjoy your camino!! We will arrive SJPP in 3rd May, stay there one night and start our walk the next day!

Chia

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Oct 10, 2010
Jerusalem
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Hi Chia
Should you or Dear Old Dad get homesick for something to eat which is not chorizos try these: true, the menu is but a interpretation of Chinese food, however they are all owned and staffed by Chinese people and YOU can tell them what You really want to eat.

Salon Imperial Japones
; Calle del Pintor Crispín, 6 Pamplona or see here https://www.tripadvisor.co.il/Restaurants-g187520-c11-Pamplona_Navarra.html

China Town Paseo de la Inmaculada, 72, Estella

Restaurante Chino Shanghai
Vitoria, 51 Burgos

Restaurante Oriental Xuanyi Y Lili Av. del Alcalde Miguel Castaño Leon

La Gran Muralla Calle General Vives, 24 Ponferrada

China Ming Av. de Romero Donallo, 25, Santiago de Compostela

Reactions: chiahc

chiahc

Feb 12, 2016
The Netherlands
3rd May 2016
23th Sep 2023
And here I may be teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs.

Hi @AlwynWellington,

Thanks for all the important suggestions. We've almost purchased all the necessary gears, except the sleeping bag, I am still doubting which one to buy. We are also doing some training ourselves. My dad does his training in the mountains and I walk to my practice with a bag weighted 4-5 kilos everyday (about 3 km). Next week I will start to walk with 6 kilos on my back.

We for sure would like to start slowly so I booked a night in Orisson as well. The rest days, well ,we'll see. Camino is not a race, I totally agree!

Chia

chiahc

Feb 12, 2016
The Netherlands
3rd May 2016
23th Sep 2023
Hi Chia
Should you or Dear Old Dad get homesick for something to eat which is not chorizos try these: true, the menu is but a interpretation of Chinese food, however they are all owned and staffed by Chinese people and YOU can tell them what You really want to eat.

Salon Imperial Japones
; Calle del Pintor Crispín, 6 Pamplona or see here https://www.tripadvisor.co.il/Restaurants-g187520-c11-Pamplona_Navarra.html

China Town Paseo de la Inmaculada, 72, Estella

Restaurante Chino Shanghai
Vitoria, 51 Burgos

Restaurante Oriental Xuanyi Y Lili Av. del Alcalde Miguel Castaño Leon

La Gran Muralla Calle General Vives, 24 Ponferrada

China Ming Av. de Romero Donallo, 25, Santiago de Compostela

Oh @scruffy1 , can you read my mind? One of my next steps is indeed searching for some Asian restaurants for my dad!! He is very easy going, but I am sure there will be some moments that he would like to have some rice or noodle soup!!

Thanks! I do appreciate it!

Chia

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

TD Justus

Dec 13, 2015
Central Texas
CF May/ June 2016
Buen Camino Joodle. We were talking about this trip for three years. However, last few years I just started my business and it was difficult for me to do this trip with my dad financially. Last December his girlfriend all of sudden got sick and passed away within one month, it was shocked to us and
also a waking moment for me. I don't want to wait another year! Luckily the business goes well now so we decide to fulfill our camino dream this year -- no matter what.

On your way when you think of your dad, I am sure he will be with you...

Chia

My story is similar. I have 2 sisters but our middle sister died of a brain tumor several years ago (age 56). My older sister & I are committed to travelling & enjoying one another's presence while we still can. Lonni (Right side of pix) is 11 years my senior but in better shape than I. We are also walking increasing distances with more weighted packs so hopefully I will be ready by May 21st. Life is indeed short & no one is guaranteed another day (young or old). So I am trying to learn to remain awake to the blessings of today, express my love for family & friends and "not sweat the small stuff".

Your plan to start slow is wise (our strategy also). May walking the Camino with your Father be a life-affirming wonder.
Buen Camino,
TD

Reactions: chiahc and Kanga
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides