• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport back from Orisson if full booked

Alan West

Time of past OR future Camino
May 23rd-2 Nd July 2019
I think I read of an hourly transport service if orisson refuge is full which will take you back to sjpdp and then you can get it back to orisson the next morning.
Can anyone tell me if this service is still going and how I can book it ,thanks in advance for any help

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Orisson generally gets fully booked weeks or months in advance. There may be a bed available if someone cancels last minute.

As far as getting back to SJPdP, there's no hourly shuttle that I know of. You can have someone at Orisson call you a taxi, or you can book the Mountain Shuttle from Express Bourricot. It does need to be booked in advance, and it does fill up.

Orisson generally gets fully booked weeks or months in advance. There may be a bed available if someone cancels last minute.

As far as getting back to SJPdP, there's no hourly shuttle that I know of. You can have someone at Orisson call you a taxi, or you can book the Mountain Shuttle from Express Bourricot. It does need to be booked in advance, and it does fill up.

Thanks for your help

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Orisson is booked the day I want to walk with my son in law and he is already booked, so I may walk and get a taxi back down to sjpdp for the night and meet him at orisson the next morning ,all accommodation around orisson seems booked
Have you tried booking BORDA? It's just a k or so past Orission and is a wonderful place!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks it says fully booked on website ,I could email ,
Thank you
It's probably full then.
I would contact Express Bouricott and book the shuttle.
Book it going back up next morning.
Book 2 nights in SJPP.
It usually goes back down around 2pm though with the Camino so full it could go down more often these days.

I think I read of an hourly transport service if orisson refuge is full which will take you back to sjpdp and then you can get it back to orisson the next morning.
Can anyone tell me if this service is still going and how I can book it ,thanks in advance for any help
There are alternatives. A hew one a bit further on and a very well established one before Orisson, Check Brierly or Gronze.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Orisson is booked the day I want to walk with my son in law and he is already booked, so I may walk and get a taxi back down to sjpdp for the night and meet him at orisson the next morning ,all accommodation around orisson seems booked
In that case I would do as you have planned and walk up to Orisson with your son in law. You may have to wait until later in the afternoon to know if anyone has cancelled or if there is a "no show." You could also probably call the day before to ask if anyone has cancelled. If you can't stay there then have them call you a taxi. The next morning you can taxi back up to meet up with your son in law.

It's probably full then.
I would contact Express Bouricott and book the shuttle.
Book it going back up next morning.
Book 2 nights in SJPP.
It usually goes back down around 2pm though with the Camino so full it could go down more often these days.
Alternatively, if you are booking the shuttle anyway, consider arranging to be driven the rest of the way to Crux Thibault. It is maybe 2 km beyond Orisson and is where the path turns abruptly right to head to the Spanish frontier, a short distance onward.

This eliminates virtually all the steep "up" of that first day to Orisson. You still have 15-16 km of waling. But the terrain is more undulating and then down into Roncesvalles.

I think of it like taking the chair lift to the top of the ski slope.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are alternatives. A hew one a bit further on and a very well established one before Orisson, Check Brierly or Gronze.
The new one a bit further is BORDA - the OP already stated that its full
The ones before -
Kayola that technically belongs to Orisson - is not operational​
Hunto - might as well come back to SJPdP​
Short of going Valcarlos (which I do not believe OP wants since he is walking with his son who seems to have a reservation at Orisson) there are no option
(For the record - legal or not - I would not try to tent-camp in Pyrenees even if someone dropped a billion euros on me!)

The new one a bit further is BORDA - the OP already stated that its full
The ones before -
Kayola that technically belongs to Orisson - is not operational​
Hunto - might as well come back to SJPdP​
Short of going Valcarlos (which I do not believe OP wants since he is walking with his son who seems to have a reservation at Orisson) there are no option
(For the record - legal or not - I would not try to tent-camp in Pyrenees even if someone dropped a billion euros on me!)

Did someone mention camping?
Years ago, there was a tipi set up where pilgrims could sleep - I have a photo somewhere. . . and I've seen tents set up in the back of Roncesvalles albergue - do they still allow that?

Years ago, there was a tipi set up where pilgrims could sleep - I have a photo somewhere. . . and I've seen tents set up in the back of Roncesvalles albergue - do they still allow that?
So far nobody did mention camping but I figure I'd be PRO-active and mention it
(and for the record I was not even thinking about Roncesvalles since the OP was more or less zeroing on Orisson - which actually I do remember someone pitching a tent when I was there May 2022) -
I was referring to 'any other place on the trail - under the tree or otherwise - from SJPdP to Orisson' (and, once more, NO THANK YOU! ) :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Years ago, yes. But I haven't read anywhere that it's possible nowadays.

The shuttle bus from SJPdP goes in the morning and afternoon - usually drops off and picks up at the Virgin statue which is a bit past Borda/Orisson because it’s closer to halfway. But I imagine they would also drop off closer to Orisson if asked. In 2023, the shuttle bus cost 11€ one way. Best to book in advance.

You know, if you are reasonably healthy, you can walk from SJPdP to Roncevalles in one day. I know of a very out-of-shape 60+ year old who did it and had a very successful Camino to SdC. I just want to throw that into the discussion.
I walked to orisson that was enough for me in 2019 ,thanks
The shuttle bus from SJPdP goes in the morning and afternoon - usually drops off and picks up at the Virgin statue which is a bit past Borda/Orisson because it’s closer to halfway. But I imagine they would also drop off closer to Orisson if asked. In 2023, the shuttle bus cost 11€ one way. Best to book in advance.
Thanks I have contacted donkeyservice.team@gmail.com and they can collect from Orisson and return the next morning from SJPDP to Orisson

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Consider just walking back down to SJPDP. Very pleasant. Probably just a couple of hours.
Many years ago I would have agreed
But now down hill kills the knees whilst uphill is a breeze

Alan-try emailing Orisson. I did a few years ago (persistently) and they finally answered me with a yes.
Very nice people...and explain your son-in-law has a reservation.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.