• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Buen Camino !

Brendan Dawson

Ban Dai
Time of past OR future Camino
CF (May 2014)
CF (Sept 2015)
England C2C (May 2016)
CP (May 2017)
I just joined the forum.
My name is Brendan Dawson, live in Cornelius,N.C. And plan on walking Camino Frances in April/ May of 2014. Will be 73 at that time....should be fun!

Some interesting background.......a lifelong runner (35 marathons) which probably led to a replaced hip, replaced knee (twice) and a game left ankle. Walking/biking keep me moving now!
When you pass me, turn and say "Hello"!

Grinding it out, trying to be ready!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Brendan and welcome to the forum!
Wow, you've had a great history of fitness and moving. Both of which are required on the camino - especially the moving part ;). You will find it a somewhat different experience as instead of getting all your moving done in one day, you walk an average of 25 km (more or less) every day for a month or so. Very different demands on your body than marathons.....
Anything you want to know, advice or information, you've come to the right place. We are all here to help one another.
Happy planning and training, and buen camino!

Welcome Brendan. My daughter lives in Huntersville right down the road from you. I will be on the Camino in May. Hope to see you!! Buen Camino. Ed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello brendan,

Welcome. You are going to be ok. You are still young. Just take your time, no hurry and enjoy the camino.

Good luck on your planning. Buen camino.

Last edited:
Hi Brendan and welcome. Shy of a couple of months of turning 70, I finished the Frances this end of September and had no problem with the exercise of walking the average of 25 km a day. The biggest challenge were the feet, occasional blisters being one nuisance, but the really hard part was the tendinitis that bothered many other, -even well trained younger peregrinos- too. My point is that the continuous walking with a backpack is altogether different than a marathon, regular golfing (my case) and other exercise; your best training is ......walking regularly the 20-25km with the 10kg pack and the shoes you intend to take with you. The other advise given hundreds of times on this forum: keep your backpack light, 'dry', (w/o drinks) it should weigh less than 8 kg, eliminate merciless! You'll be fine.
Buen Camino
Pierre aka Don Pedro

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks all!
Believe me, I don't delude myself about the challenges of walking 25-30K a day. Even when I was running (as you can tell by my surgeries, it has been a while), I thought that the 5-6 hour walkers had a tougher time than a 3 hour runner!
Thank you for other useful input......I am reading as many "forum" entries as I can.

Brings up my first question! I would appreciate any training suggestions?
I am currently walking (about 3 mi/hr) 6k to 12k a day.....on alternate days, with my Lowa hiking boots. I haven't yet started walking with my pack.....plan to start in next couple of weeks with larger load than I will carry on Camino.
Thoughts

Hi Brendon,
I think you're on the right track; however, rather than starting with a larger load than you'll be carrying on the Camino, I'd start with a lighter load and work up to the Camino backpack weight over a period of time. My wife and I (68 and 70, respectively) started training a year before our Camino by slowly increasing our normal 2-3 mile evening strolls 3-4 times a week up to real walks of 6-8 miles a couple of times a week plus 10-12 miles a couple of times a week. We didn't start with our backpacks until a couple of months before our departure date, beginning with roughly half the weight in our backpacks as we anticipated for the final load and working upward from there. Also, I'm not sure what the terrain is like where you are, but try to get as much elevation gain/loss (hills) into your regular walking schedule as you can. There are a surprising number of hills along the Camino, in addition to the big climbs in the mountains that you're probably aware of. And use the training walks as a way to evaluate the primary gear you'll be taking, namely backpacks, boots/hiking shoes, combinations of socks and liners, trekking poles, etc.

Buen Camino,
Jim

Hi Brendon,
I think you're on the right track; however, rather than starting with a larger load than you'll be carrying on the Camino, I'd start with a lighter load and work up to the Camino backpack weight over a period of time. My wife and I (68 and 70, respectively) started training a year before our Camino by slowly increasing our normal 2-3 mile evening strolls 3-4 times a week up to real walks of 6-8 miles a couple of times a week plus 10-12 miles a couple of times a week. We didn't start with our backpacks until a couple of months before our departure date, beginning with roughly half the weight in our backpacks as we anticipated for the final load and working upward from there. Also, I'm not sure what the terrain is like where you are, but try to get as much elevation gain/loss (hills) into your regular walking schedule as you can. There are a surprising number of hills along the Camino, in addition to the big climbs in the mountains that you're probably aware of. And use the training walks as a way to evaluate the primary gear you'll be taking, namely backpacks, boots/hiking shoes, combinations of socks and liners, trekking poles, etc.

Buen Camino,
Jim
Jim, thanks for thoughts...I think that I will take your approach on the pack weight.
Nowhere near as hilly as where you are but I have some decent trails with elevation changes....i think that I appreciate the value.
Will also be using this time to work out rest of the gear.
All the best,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Brendan

Welcome to the forum.

After all those years of running and at your age I bet you´ve discovered that it´s not how fast you do things but How you do things. Take your time , enjoy the Camino and as some folks around here say..........."Smell the flowers along the way!";)

Ondo Ibili !
I can't say that I learned that lesson until a few years ago.
It took a while but I'm finally getting it.
It finally became apparent that "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing" is a losing philosophy!

There are a lot of formulae regarding training, but my advice is:
About 6 months out, start walking every other day. Whatever feels comfortable.
After awhile (you decide), carry 1/2 weight of your pack and increase the distance.
After awhile (you decide), carry the weight of your pack and walk up to 20 km 2 days in a row in one week, and then 3 days in a row in the next week.
And then just don't worry about it. You will build up your fitness on The way.
You are not training for the Olympics. You just need to be in decent shape and be familiar with the weight of your pack.
You will do just fine.
Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I just joined the forum.
My name is Brendan Dawson, live in Cornelius,N.C. And plan on walking Camino Frances in April/ May of 2014. Will be 73 at that time....should be fun!

Some interesting background.......a lifelong runner (35 marathons) which probably led to a replaced hip, replaced knee (twice) and a game left ankle. Walking/biking keep me moving now!
When you pass me, turn and say "Hello"!

Grinding it out, trying to be ready!

You will have a great time, but one of the most arduous walks is from SJPP over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles.

You will have a great time, but one of the most arduous walks is from SJPP over the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles.
I understand that,in a general sense!
What would you suggest that I might do in preparation?
Thanks!

It feels like several hours on a stairmaster, so do some stairs or stairmaster training. There is a steep hill out of SJPdP, then a steady, gentle climb for an hour, then a couple of hours of steep hill. After your legs are tired, there is a steep descent into Roncesvalles. The Valcarlos route is a more gentle, steady up until some switchbacks which last half an hour. Then down into Roncesvalles.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.