• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Frances October & November 2014

Hi All,

I am planning to walk the Camino Frances in October & November 2014. I am walking for spiritual reasons & will be walking alone most likely. I have never done anything like this & am some what of a hermit. So, it should be exciting to see how it goes. This is really challenging my comfort zone. I feel called to take this time to walk with God.

Is there anything I need to know about walking during this time of year & any extra items that I might need? I am interested in traveling as light as possible.

I have been reading all your posts for awhile & love you all.

Thank you

Aimee

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Aimee,

Be sure to read (or read once again!) what other pilgrims and I have written in this earlier 2013 Forum thread on walking in October and November.

Nights can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or even snow might occur in the mountains by November. It certainly will rain in Galicia. Be prepared!

Starting mid October many albergues will close for a well earned rest but the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. Most open albergues will either be heated or have blankets, but not all.

Many of us who walk at this time find lightweight layers the easiest way to dress; since all my caminos have been in late autumn and winter perhaps you would find my Kit list useful for your planning.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

What Margaret says is so true. When I walked from Astorga in 2012 (buoyed by Margaret's forum encouragement at that time) I encountered every type of weather from sunny t-shirt days to sleet and snow. The number of pilgrims was very reasonable - sometimes there was a scattering of pilgrims spread out along the way in front. More typically, no one else was in sight but if you stopped for 5 minutes, other pilgrims would come by. Just the right number of people to have solitude if you want, but company and security if you want. Perfect time of year so I'm going again this year in Oct-Nov too.
- Clare

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good Luck with your Camino Amiee. My wife & I are leaving St Jean on Sept 26th so will not be too far ahead if you leave early Oct . Look for 6 ft 1 , grey bearded bent over 68 yr old man with a serious limp being beat up with a trekking pole by a stunningly beautiful ageless angry better half. If you find us . Save me! :) and we will treat you to a beverage of your choice .

107 days until we leave from St Jean!

Buen Camino
Joe

Aimee,

Be sure to read (or read once again!) what other pilgrims and I have written in this earlier 2013 Forum thread on walking in October and November.

Nights can be chilly or cold and freezing rain or even snow might occur in the mountains by November. It certainly will rain in Galicia. Be prepared!

Starting mid October many albergues will close for a well earned rest but the hospitaleros usually know who is open on the next stage. Most open albergues will either be heated or have blankets, but not all.

Many of us who walk at this time find lightweight layers the easiest way to dress; since all my caminos have been in late autumn and winter perhaps you would find my Kit list useful for your planning.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Margaret Meredith

Thank you do much Margaret. I feel much better about walking during this time after reading your post. I read your kit list & blog. I figure I will start out slow at 1st. Your advice & encouragement is much appreciated. You are very inspiring.

Aimee

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What Margaret says is so true. When I walked from Astorga in 2012 (buoyed by Margaret's forum encouragement at that time) I encountered every type of weather from sunny t-shirt days to sleet and snow. The number of pilgrims was very reasonable - sometimes there was a scattering of pilgrims spread out along the way in front. More typically, no one else was in sight but if you stopped for 5 minutes, other pilgrims would come by. Just the right number of people to have solitude if you want, but company and security if you want. Perfect time of year so I'm going again this year in Oct-Nov too.
- Clare

Thank you Clare. This sounds like the best time of year for me other than perhaps Spring. I appreciate the encouragement & info. I really prefer to avoid the heat of the summer & the crowds. I am a little nervous about wandering through Spain alone. Although, it seems like it's safe from what I've read. I feel called very strongly to go. I appreciate you.

Aimee

Good Luck with your Camino Amiee. My wife & I are leaving St Jean on Sept 26th so will not be too far ahead if you leave early Oct . Look for 6 ft 1 , grey bearded bent over 68 yr old man with a serious limp being beat up with a trekking pole by a stunningly beautiful ageless angry better half. If you find us . Save me! :) and we will treat you to a beverage of your choice .

107 days until we leave from St Jean!

Buen Camino
Joe

Hi Joe,

My anniversary is Sept. 27th so I doubt I'll start earlier unless my husband comes which looks unlikely now.

I am planning on starting slow as I have never done anything like this before.

I hope to see you & your wife there. You are lucky to be able to go together. I'd love to have a drink with y'all.

It's hard to believe that it's less than 4 months away.

I posted here in part to declare that I am going & to connect.

Thank you for welcoming me & inviting me to be part of your Camino.

Aimee

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.