Camino Norte Planning !!

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Feb 28, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2012, 2014, 2016. CN 2018, 23 Via francigena 23
With the year ending in a few hours and the new one ready to begin I, like many, find myself looking back at the year past and looking forward to the new year ahead.
Having said that I just booked my flight to Biarritz to walk the Camino Norte in July 2018. (Stomach starts churning !!).

I wanted to ask if anyone here has walked from Biarritz to Irun and if so, was it worth doing or should I just consider a bus/taxi etc...?????? (Also was it well marked?).

...Though we pilgrims may be miles (Km's) apart we all share the same pulse...

Happy New Year to everyone on this Forum !!!!!!!

Reactions: SusanMB and Sue L
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: grayland
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Kurt5280

Crazy Enough To Try It Again!
Aug 28, 2014
Denver Colorado USA
Frances: SJPDP to Finisterre & Muxia 9/15 (MTB) - Norte: Bayonne to Muxia & Finisterre 9/18 (MTB)
From the Biarritz Airport there is an official Camino route...but there is a better tourist path along the shore...I am enclosing the maps so you can decide but I will in Biarritz in late August biking the tourist shore path.

Attachments

• 0) Biarritz Plan Touristique.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 1) Bidart to St Jean de Luz.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 2) Saint Jean de Luz to Hendaye.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 3) Hondarribi to Pasaia.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • 4) Pasaia to San Sebastion.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • A) Bayonne to SJL.pdf
    660.2 KB · Views: 8
  • B) SJL to Hendaye.pdf
    587.7 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: Bob from L.A. !
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
A bunch of us walked the Camino Baztán this past summer, starting from Bayonne. Some of us met up in Irún and walked some of the stretch you are talking about. We went from Irún to St. Jean de Luz as a nice 15 km warm-up and then took the bus into Bayonne. St. Jean is about the halfway point to Biarritz, I think, so you have a good choice of two short days or one 30 km day. The part we walked was well marked and obvious, some of it along the road, but very nice views. If you do a search with Biarritz and Irun in the box you will find that lots of people have done this and can get a lot of info. Buen camino, Laurie

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...om-biarritz-to-irun-has-anyone-done-it.31924/

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

SusanMB

May 22, 2011
Ballina NSW Australia
Camino Frances (2012)
Camino Portuguese (2014)
Camino Via de la Plata (April/May2016)
Norte (2017)
I am thinking of starting in late August, early September
Personally I think September is a better time. I dud the Norte last late September and into October. The weathe was near perfect with daily temps in the mid twenties yes we had some rain hiwever on the Norte it rains most seasons.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Momonne

Jan 1, 2018
Frances, Norte, Primtivo, Portuguese, VDLP
Is there such a thing as a packing list explicitly for the Norte ?????
Packing list for the Norte will be exactly the same as for any other Spanish Camino during April to late Octoberish. Different packing list only for winter Caminos and perhaps leaving the rain gear behind if walking VDLP in summer.

As for rain on the Norte in summer time, let’s not forget that the Spanish norther coast gets invaded by tourists heading to the beach with their bathing suits. It may rain, but it’s still a resort/summer vacation destination.

FSP

Feb 20, 2016
B.C, Canada
CF-2013
CP-2016
Fin-2016
Norte-2018
Muxia-2018
I'll be a bit behind some of you. I've just booked to arrive in Paris on Sep 3 and will take the train later that day or the next morning to Hendaye France and walk into Irun to start. Gave myself six weeks so I can have the luxury of exploring more interesting places along the Way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

We are cycling and are two people, currently in Santander. We ideally want to book a double room. However we are finding the prices shown on Gronze are sometimes substantially higher when we make...
We are about to start our first Camino tomorrow morning and, after much getting lost, we are relaxing on our very comfortable beds at Hotel Urdanibia Park. My question is, do we start from where...
Hi, Im currently on the CDN at Sam Martin de Laspa. Has anyone done the Mountain route recently between Soto de Luina and Cadavedo. Some guides say it’s impassable but others say it’s not? Would...
Hi Everyone, As a follow up of my post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-del-norte-smaller-stages-baggage-transport.85025/#post-1225909, here is the feedback from my first...
I just want to share with you, This Friday I will be off to CDN. It's very special because I have cancelled it twice in the past due to events out of my control. This will be my first Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.