• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Portuguese alone or with someone

AdkaVajova

Time of past OR future Camino
March 6th - March 31st (Portuguese planned)
Hello,
I would like to ask a question. I would like to do Camino Portuguese in March of 2024 from Lisbon to Compostela but I have never done anything like this before. I am in my early 20s and I am a bit scared to do it by myself. Any tips or suggestions if doing it by myself is okay and how to calm down?

Thank you! 😊

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can’t really help directly as I know nothing about you or your capabilities. But why choose the Camino Portuguese for your first camino? One of the more popular routes like the Camino Frances or Primitivo would be a much simpler way to start. More people, more choices for places to stay and eat and probably slightly better marked.

Can’t really help directly as I know nothing about you or your capabilities. But why choose the Camino Portuguese for your first camino? One of the more popular routes like the Camino Frances or Primitivo would be a much simpler way to start. More people, more choices for places to stay and eat and probably slightly better marked.
The Primitivo is far less popular a route than the Portugues variants which are growing very rapidly. Though the numbers on the stages from Lisbon to Porto are likely to be small as the majority who walk the Portugues choose to start from Porto. Here are this year's figures from the Santiago pilgrim office.

Screenshot_20231227_145330.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello,
I would like to ask a question. I would like to do Camino Portuguese in March of 2024 from Lisbon to Compostela but I have never done anything like this before. I am in my early 20s and I am a bit scared to do it by myself. Any tips or suggestions if doing it by myself is okay and how to calm down?

Thank you! 😊

I'll be doing the Camino Portuguese in June 2024 from Porto, as a first-time pilgrim, and going solo. I'm in my 30s. I haven't travelled solo for quite a long time, and have never truly "wandered" solo for extended periods of time. That is to say, we have some similarities.

I think a little fear is natural. For me, that is overcome by excitement, and the anticipation of adventure, and not a little bit of romance and mystery.

I take a lot of comfort in planning. There's a lot of pilgrims who don't seem to like to plan very much - they might just book their ticket to Europe and nothing else! - but I really like plotting out my daily stages, my desired accommodations, and the like. You might like to do the same, especially since you're starting so early in the season.

@AdkaVajova I will add, I've heard the Camino from Lisbon to Porto has a lot of relatively dangerous road walking, and less infrastructure for pilgrims. For a first-time pilgrim, it might not be the best experience. Unless you have a deep soul calling to start from Lisbon, consider beginning in Porto instead. Also consider taking the Coastal or Litoral route rather than the Central route from Porto onwards, again for road safety reasons. Or maybe bring a high-vis safety vest.

Check out this recent thread on drivers on the Camino Portuguese Central:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@AdkaVajova I will add, I've heard the Camino from Lisbon to Porto has a lot of relatively dangerous road walking, and less infrastructure for pilgrims. For a first-time pilgrim, it might not be the best experience. Unless you have a deep soul calling to start from Lisbon, consider beginning in Porto instead. Also consider taking the Coastal or Litoral route rather than the Central route from Porto onwards, again for road safety reasons. Or maybe bring a high-vis safety vest.

Check out this recent thread on drivers on the Camino Portuguese Central:
I got my tickets to Lisbon so I think there’s no way back now 😃 Would you say it’s dangerous for the road-safety reasons or just dangerous in general?

I have been curious about this solo tripping just because I’m young and I’m a woman and I just wasn’t sure how safe this whole trip is in that way.

Thank you though for help!

I got my tickets to Lisbon so I think there’s no way back now 😃 Would you say it’s dangerous for the road-safety reasons or just dangerous in general?

I have been curious about this solo tripping just because I’m young and I’m a woman and I just wasn’t sure how safe this whole trip is in that way.

Just from reading around, I would say the danger is for road-safety reasons mostly. More in the yellow-flag range for a first-time pilgrim is that there's less infrastructure for pilgrims (albergues etc) between Lisbon and Porto, and also you are going quite early in the season (March) so things may be closed/have reduced hours (you may have to be more diligent about contacting the municipal albergues to open up for you, for example).

You could consider taking a train from Lisbon to Porto and starting from Porto. Cheap and fast, there is a fast train called the Alfa Pendular. That's what I'm doing in June. I fly from Canada to Lisbon, overnight in Lisbon, take a train to Porto, and start walking from Porto along the Litoral/Coastal route.

If you want a longer walk, after you reach Santiago de Compostela you could go onwards to Finisterre/Muxia. Then you take a bus from Finisterre/Muxia back to SdC and fly from SdC to Lisbon, then Lisbon to home.

Or you could go Porto - SdC, then take a bus/train to Ferrol, and walk the Ingles to SdC again in a week (safe roads but again less infrastructure). Or to Sarria, then walk Sarria - SdC (safe roads, more infrastructure). Lots of options if you have extra time.

I am a hiker and a runner so I like a good challenge 😃 that’s why I chose Camino Portuguese. I am also going for spiritual reasons and I feel like I would like to spend more days on this trail. But Thank you for your help!

I also wouldn't choose to walk from Lisbon for my first Camino. I get wanting to walk a long distance, because that's my preference, but you won't see many others walking until you reach Porto, and there's not as much infrastructure between Lisbon and Porto as there is on the Camino Francés, Primitivo or Norte. But you have a ticket to Lisbon now, so know that you can start there, but if you find that you would like more company perhaps skip ahead to Tomar, Coimbra, or Porto.

Once you arrive in Santiago you can hop on a bus to Oviedo and walk the Primitivo or to somewhere along the Francés or the Norte if you would like to walk more.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh! As you are a woman, you might also like to join the Camigas facebook group (just search for it). They are an all-women group of pilgrims, lots of solo women walkers, both experienced and inexperienced, very friendly.

Oh! As you are a woman, you might also like to join the Camigas facebook group (just search for it). They are an all-women group of pilgrims, lots of solo women walkers, both experienced and inexperienced, very friendly.
Thank you so much!

Hello,

Thank you! 😊
Doing it by yourself is okay.

Actually, most here would say more than okay. :) Walking a Camino on one of the more populated routes (like the Portugues, especially after Porto) is probably one of the safest and most supported ways to travel alone on this Earth.

As others have said, there are somewhat less pilgrims until Porto but many have had very successful first Caminos from Lisbon. Doing some research on the route so you know what to expect might help calm you down somewhat. I would also take an app like (Buen Camino or Wise Pilgrim), so you can let go of any fears of getting lost.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

Thank you! 😊
I walked the Portuguese route this past October and enjoyed it completely. It's almost like walking two caminhos in one: Lisbon to Porto where you may not see a soul the entire day and then Porto to SdeC where it's hard not to see a soul. As it was very hot the first half of the camino, I would start 5, 5:30 and walk two hours in the dark. For the most part, I felt safe. I enjoyed that walk so much I might just do it again mid March. Of course, being a bit apprehensive is just part for the course. Once you take those first few steps it's like a different world.

HI, We walked from Lisbon to Santiago in 2022 and loved it. Had no problems finding accomodations, etc. and found many times airbnb and small family guesthouses very reasonable. Lots of great spiritual places along the way and found the smaller churches very welcoming and several priests took the time to show us around the churches. Met lots of friendly locals out in the country side as well. There is some road walking, but have a look at maps, sometimes there are ways to walk around roads that you are not comfortable walking on. The biggest issue for me was the volume of cobblestones and roman roads, so have shoes that are comfortable for you on these types of surfaces :)

If you are looking to be with tons of other pilgrims, then Lisbon to Porto is not that type of pilgrimage, but if you enjoy some solitude it is great. I would do it again. (For reference, I have done the Frances twice and loved it too, it is just become a bit too crowded for me, and just did Milan to Rome to Assisi this year and enjoyed it as well for the more quiet environment).
Whatever you choose, enjoy your walk! And if you have time, detour to Fatima as well on your walk.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I went on my first Camino, I was absolutely terrified. I think it would be unusual if you weren't at least a bit scared!

Can you do it alone: yes, absolutely. You're going to have a great time.

Tip on how to calm down: remind yourself that it's normal to be gushing with adrenaline when preparing for something like this. Some days that will feel like excitement, some days like fear. It's normal for your instincts to get you worked up before you do something "epic".

Hello,

Thank you! 😊
AdkaVajova I am doing my first camino early April 2024. I am making a shorter Portuguese route from Baiona to SdC. I just wanted to share with you that it is supposed to be very rainy, so you will need the right gear for it. I will be 71 when I start to walk and I have delicate feet. You may not have any of my issues, but I jut wanted to share this with you. I asked a question here and got really great advice.

Senior Walking the Portuguese Coastal Route in the Rain: Advice Needed​

Buen camino.

When I first walked I had no idea what I was getting into. That was 12 years ago. I just had the Brierley book and met a woman who about 2 months before I walked gave me some tips on clothes and packing. Never did a long distance hike. I got to St. Jean and started up the hill. Nervous, not knowing what an albergue was like and didn't even have a telephone. The CF was alot less crowded then. I didn't even know there were other caminos. I gained more confidence and love for the camino with every step I took and by the time I got to Pamplona knew I could do it and by the time I was in Logrono I had the camino in my back pocket. My advice is walk and surprise yourself that you can do the unknown and love it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Camino Portugues from Lisbon beginnining in mid May 20023. It was my second Camino, the Frances being the first. The difference between the two was like night and day. On the Frances starting from SJPdP, it was like a carnival. Rarely was I out of sight of other people. It was a very enjoyable experience. The Portugues was very different, but no less enjoyable. From Lisbon, I did not see another walker until day 3, and that was only one person. I saw him again the next day and again he was the only pilgrim I saw. The next night, I stayed in an albergue and there were 30 or 40 pilgrims there. I saw only a few of them in the following days. Starting with Tomar, there were more people on the Camino, though you could easily go half a day without seeing anyone. As I got closer to Porto there were more people. Even so, because of the scarcity of pilgrims, if you saw someone at a cafe that you had met before, pilgrims tended to stop and visit, even if they had stopped for their coffee only a short distance before. The Lisbon to Porto was not as developed as the Frances. There were a few nights where there was no bar in town that served food, so I had to get get some bread from a bakery and cheese from a small market or else get something from a vending machine at the albergue. In the large cities, there were places to get food, but everything was dispersed, so there was a good chance you would end up eating alone. In Porto, a person I had met earlier on the Camino invited me to dinner with pilgrims she had met. It was an interesting group, as most everyone had invited someone they had met on the journey from Lisbon. We had fun comparing notes and talking about other notable people we had met on the walk.
Starting with Porto, it was a different Camino. There were many pilgrims and it was more developed with an infrastructure supportive of pilgrims. I took the first day on the Coastal and then cut over to the Central. There was a good crowd from there to Santiago.

Although I did not walk the detour to Fatima, I would recommend that, especially if you are looking for a spiritual experience. I took a bus from Tomar. It was nice to see Fatima, but the people I talked to who had walked there were very emotional about the experience, especially the candlelight parade in the evening.

My husband and I walked the Camino Portuguese from Lisbon to Santiago as our first Camino. We always tell people who ask, to begin from Tomar or Porto instead of Lisbon. Like others have said, there are more stretches of dangerous fast moving roads that you’ll walk along, fewer pilgrims, and fewer accommodations. There are also some very long stretches , especially in the first day or two, where you will be very alone on trails by a dike and River… I felt vulnerable there, and I was hiking with my husband. Catching a train or bus out of Lisbon to a better starting place is easy to do. I hope this helps you.

I am a hiker and a runner so I like a good challenge 😃 that’s why I chose Camino Portuguese. I am also going for spiritual reasons and I feel like I would like to spend more days on this trail. But Thank you for your help!
The walk from Lisbon to Porto has so much highway walking that you will find this route the opposite of inspiring. It will wear you down.

If spiritual is a key component, I strongly urge you to fly to Toulouse, France, spend a day there, including getting a credential at the cathedral. We did this to start a camino back in 2016. The priest in the santuary was so inspirational, even though we didn't catch everything we said. A few months ago, we ended our camino in Toulouse and the same priest gave us his blessing as he put a final stamp in our credential.

From Toulouse, train to Lourdes. The nightly candlelight procession with thousands of the faithful from all over the world is unforgettable. We walked from there on a super long camino that took us from Lourdes on the Arles Camino to Oloron Ste. Marie, then on the Camino Aragones to Puente La Reina, then the Frances to Logrono, then the Camino del Ebro to Montserrat, the most unforgettable, inspiring and religious stop on any of our caminos.

There is very little highway walking on this long route, and you will experience the beauty of so many landscapes, the hospitality of villagers like none other and the companionship of a few pilgrims, not the crowds of the Frances except very briefly.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

Thank you! 😊
Hello
My first caminho was Portuguese 2015. It was simply wonderful. The places to stay have increased since then and the number of Pilgrims have increased. I am female and I was alone but of course met incredible people. The Lisbon to Santarem stretch is long, flat and monotonous, but it only gets better after that so it is worth it. No matter which route you choose it will be your first caminho adventure and certain to make great memories. Have no fear! Just be cautious as you are on a daily basis. You will do fantastic .
Best wishes
Eliza

Hi fellow Peregrino,

you will not be alone! On the stretch between Lisbon and Porto there will be more solitude (and roadside walking), but after Porto you may be in constant sight of other Pilgrims. It will all sort out.
Remember the saying: the Camino will not give you what you want, the Camino provides you with anything you will need! Just be patient, thankful and humble.

Bom Caminho!

Road safety. Otherwise, we found no danger on the Portugues.

But let's also be clear: Is this what you consider enjoyable? How often do you take a long hike on the side of a highway? Brierley no doubt turns over in his grave every time he thinks about a first time walker choosing the Portugues from Lisbon.

I must be honest: We found the Portugues our least favorite camino, and that included walking from Porto on the central. We wisely abandoned that after several days and went to the coastal for awhile. We found that walk delightful, and plan this Spring to do the entire coastal, including the Variante Spiritual, with our camino ending in Muxia on the coast. There is something very soothing and contemplative walking near water, whether it's a river or the sea.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From Lisbon, I did not see another walker until day 3, and that was only one person. I saw him again the next day and again he was the only pilgrim I saw. The next night, I stayed in an albergue and there were 30 or 40 pilgrims there.
I’m not sure how this is possible. You saw only one pilgrim in four days of walking and then saw 30-40 at an albergue?

Hello,

Thank you! 😊
Here are a few thoughts to consider as you ponder your decision. Important things such as health/physical condition and other solo experiences you have had come into play with your decisions.

I walked the Camino Portuguese solo this past fall after having walked 4 different Caminos with 1 or 2 friends. I walked the central route and started in Coimbra. Starting in Lisbon was ruled out in my decision because of the amount of time required and my research indicated the sections closer to Lisbon had a lot of walking on busy roads and went through a lot of industrial areas. However, I wanted more distance than starting in Porto, which is why I started in Coimbra.

I do many things solo but in the first few days I missed my previous Camino companions and the shared experiences. Before arriving in Porto I saw few other pilgrims and that was okay but it’s good to see some other pilgrims if you need assistance. From Porto forward there were more pilgrims, but I still walked solo most of the time. I meet others and had great conversations with several people. There were many (?) young people around your age.

Based on my experience I found the signage for the route not as good south of Porto as it is north of Porto. The walking was not difficult in terms of ascent and there is plenty of infrastructure to support walkers north of Porto.

My Portugues language skills are limited but English is widely understood and I found local people to be very helpful. Once you settle into the walking routine it’s likely you will see some of the same people from day-to-day even if you don’t walk with them.

I am 75 years old and averaged 19 km per day and most days felt I could easily have walked further. If I were to walk the same route again there are some things I would do differently but I would not hesitate to walk alone. I am hoping to walk another route in 2024 of about 400 km and it most likely be solo. Hope these thoughts help.

Take a train or bus from Lisbon to Porto. Spend a day in Porto before you start walking. It's a great city to explore.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't know if I have selective memory, but it seems to me I've seen a lot more positive experiences for the Lisbon to Porto section from folks who are doing it (and on to Santiago) as their first Camino and are just happy to be on a Camino than from those who come to it after the Frances and are comparing it to their experience there. Take that for whatever it may be worth as you assess these responses, and others can feel free to dispute my perceptions.

The Primitivo is far less popular a route than the Portugues variants which are growing very rapidly. Though the numbers on the stages from Lisbon to Porto are likely to be small as the majority who walk the Portugues choose to start from Porto. Here are this year's figures from the Santiago pilgrim office.

View attachment 161434
Wow 😯
So the Portugueses combined count for more than 140.000 pilgrims already! That's why I am even in December seeing so many other pilgrims after Redondela...

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but so far (I am in Pontevedra now) I am a bit disappointed about the lack of Camino spirit. It feels a bit similar to Sarria - Santiago. Anonymous. People are hardly greeting each other. That might be different if you start in Porto, but if you start alone and you want a Camino family I think you will need to be quite extroverted and put in an effort.

Here’s a great resource for walking out of Lisbon. If you google “Elle Bieling, first day out of Lisbon” who happens to be an active member on this site, you’ll find an informative, current introduction to the evolving Camino walk out of Lisbon. She adds an enjoyable perspective to the variety of views on starting north from the bustling Portuguese capital.

Just to add to the mix, I started north from Lisbon in early December 2021, twenty-five days before the country went into lockdown. What a delightful walk out of this large European city of three million, for a pilgrim who comes from a Canadian territory of half a million square km, and a mere 45,000 inhabitants. Walking through these urban centres is, indeed, part of the Camino for me. Moreover, so are all those glorious paths through the quaint Portuguese countryside that outnumber the miles of narrow highway walking, and, of course, the eclectic permutations of cobblestones.

Having just come off the Nakasendo in Japan, I have to confess that it was interesting, beautiful, friendly, but so was the walk out of Lisbon in 2021. If your conscious decision was to walk out of Lisbon and you, like some of us, don’t mind fewer pilgrim encounters, enjoy! I’d walk out of Lisbon again in a heartbeat.

Lisbon to Porto is different (only having walked it once). I like long challenging walks too. It's not so easy, as you are basically on your own (in a logistical sense, not physical). Now, that may be a good thing, Depending on what you are into.

To quote Airplane! the movie... "They knew their risks, they bought their tickets, I say, let them crash."

But you won't crash. You'll be fine. And the food is better.

Here’s a great resource for walking out of Lisbon. If you google “Elle Bieling, first day out of Lisbon” who happens to be an active member on this site, you’ll find an informative, current introduction to the evolving Camino walk out of Lisbon. She adds an enjoyable perspective to the variety of views on starting north from the bustling Portuguese capital
I also referred to @Elle Bieling's excellent site when walking from Lisbon.

I'm also curious to experience the new way out of Lisbon. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-on-the-new-camino-route-out-of-lisbon.80730/

@AdkaVajova
It seems like some people don’t have a good opinion of the Portuguese from Lisbon. 😞
I walked from Lisbon with a friend in late May 2016. We walked the central route. What I remember is
* Lisbon is a wonderful city - recommend two nights there but there is enough to do for three nights
* the walk out of Lisbon was great at the beginning, but we walked too many Kms on that first day.
* fabulous, helpful, wonderful locals everywhere
* amazing food everywhere - in small villages on Sundays everything was closed till after church
* took a day trip by bus from Santarem to Fatima
* a range of walking surfaces and a lot of cobbles until Porto - I don’t recall a lot of dangerous road walking though
* bike riders on Sundays - now they could be a bit scary
* saw a few other pilgrims almost every day. If I was walking solo I might have walked with some of them for a few days now and then
* three strong spiritual experiences - Fatima, Coimrbra in the monastery albergue and just outside Santiago.
* initially accomodation was in hostels or small hotels and so more expensive than the albergues which were more prevalent after Porto - you might find another pilgrim with whom you can do at twin share
* wonderful towns like Tomar, Coimbra and Porto

I found The Pilgrim Traveller website very helpful with detailed descriptions of the route and some excellent insights.
These days the Camino apps also give you an interactive route map to keep you on track

You are committed to starting in Lisbon. Run with that and enjoy. There will be all the normal Camino highs and lows - as well as an abundance of blessings.
I am looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Love and blessings from a fellow Camino Portuguese pilgrim.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@David Tallan Like you I walked my first Camino when the total number of pilgrims was a tiny fraction of the numbers today. Some of us want the company of fellow pilgrims and the security of a "Camino family". Others delight in the solitude of a road less travelled. These days we are lucky in having both options and many shades in between. Courses for horses :)

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but so far (I am in Pontevedra now) I am a bit disappointed about the lack of Camino spirit. It feels a bit similar to Sarria - Santiago. Anonymous.
I find the idea of "Camino spirit" hard to grasp. On my first Camino - the Camino Frances - I could walk for two or three days without even seeing another pilgrim. The personal contacts I remember warmly from that first journey were mostly very transitory and were conversations with local people rather than pilgrims. No concept of a Camino family.

Hello,

Thank you! 😊
It’s normal to be apprehensive, even if one is an experienced hiker, when doing a first Camino. I met a 16 year old French girl walking the Del Norte, a relatively tough Camino without lots of services like the Frances, on her own in October. She was energetic, inquisitive and got along well with us old folks. There were also many first timers in their 20’s who were doing well. You will be fine; no need to change routes, shorten the Portuguese or take buses.

Hi, a friend and I walked from Lisbon in May this year, a few days I walked solo as Eileen had blisters and tendonitis. As I said on another thread we didn't find it as bad as some say - probably because due to those comments our bar was set quite low😅 We met pilgrims right from the first day and the Albergue in Azumbuja was full. March might be much quiter tho.
I found the vast acres of tomato planting quite interesting, fields of grapes and corn green and lush. Great towns - stand outs were Tomar and Coimbra. Yes, some short sections of 'hairy' road walking in little/no shoulder otherwise quiet back roads, lanes and lots of cobbles/sets! Some sections of forest/bush may be better teamed up with someone else - we had a little group of us that we would bump into along the way or end up in the same place for the night. In Porto we were joined by my husband and two sisters so had our own 'family' but it was also busier from here. I would walk from Lisbon again if I have the opportunity. I kept a blog if you are interested polarsteps.com/LindaLeslie23

I didn't find any part of the Camino from Lisbon uninspiring, depressing or overly dangerous. Probably because I find walking anywhere that is different from where I live interesting. I should say that I got a wonderful start from Lisbon by walking with @jungleboy 😊

I went with the expectation that I may not encounter many other pilgrims until I reached Porto, and that was true, as far as pilgrims who were headed to Santiago. I walked this stretch last year in May, when unbeknownst to me there were thousands and thousands of pilgrims, mostly in large groups on their way to Fátima, since it was at the anniversary time for that site. That meant that many albergues were fully booked and full of pilgrims headed to Fátima. I had decided that I wanted to stay in private rooms as much as possible because of Covid (which I caught anyway from a pilgrim who had been to Fátima), so I may have met more people in albergues, but most them weren't going to Santiago. In the albergue in Alpriate (now closed) I was the only pilgrim headed to Santiago. After Tomar, all the pilgrims that I met were on their way to Santiago.

I did meet several pilgrims for whom the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon was their first Camino, though as I said above, I don't think that it's ideal for a first Camino, especially if you have read pilgrim accounts or consumed very much social media or videos about the Camino, because most are referring to the Camino Francés.

Last edited:
I walked alone on the Portuguese Route including the Spiritual Variant from Baiona (because I had limited time and speed) in June of 2023. I had minimal contact to other people until I was only a day or two out of Santiago. It was fine. I never felt afraid and the relative solitude allowed room for my spiritual journey. There were other pellegrinos but not many (until Padron) and I didn't feel any compulsion to join up with groups. Occasionally I came across another solo walker and shared the path with them, chatting about the way, until one of us had a reason to stop or veer off. I never felt lonely. After Santiago, I returned to Porto to fly home. It is a wonderful city and I look forward to starting there for the second part of my Camino (to Baiona) this year in June. I'd recommend taking the train to Porto and starting there, then walking the Spiritual Variant once you get into Spain. Good luck! You will have a wonderful journey, no matter how you go.

Any tips or suggestions if doing it by myself is okay and how to calm down?
For me, I take some comfort in the fact that on the Portuguese route, you pretty much always have a good cell signal. If you have a smartphone and buy a cheap data package once you arrive in Lisbon (I got a 10GB+calling+texting for Europe at Vodafone for 25€ in the airport after landing), then you have the safety net of using your maps app if you take a wrong turn or need to step off the route to find a restaurant/bathroom/etc. Also, you basically just need to head north and you'll eventually reach Santiago 🙂. Local people are also helpful - I and many others have had the experience of missing a yellow arrow and taking a wrong turn and then, unprompted, a local person turns you back in the right direction.

Doing it by yourself is fine and the Camigas group mentioned above would also be helpful, just for coordinating to walk with others for a safety/loneliness reasons.

The other bit of advice I have is that loads of people (including on this forum) will say things along the lines of "You're doing X? X is bad, you should do Y, because I did Y and I liked it!". Take this with a grain of salt when it comes to routes, albergues, food, etc and don't doubt your path. A lot of the time, they haven't done X, or they had a different mindset that helped them enjoy Y more and X less, and so on.

Everyone's Camino is their own experience and we all take different learnings away from it that won't fit to everyone else's path, even if we try to. So, trust yourself, be flexible when things don't go according to plan, and don't go in with too many expectations or preconceived notions (especially from others) and you'll have an interesting (not just good) Camino.

We bought tickets to Lisbon & are taking a jet lag day there, then taking the train to Porto and starting the Coastal walk from there. So you might consider that. We are going early May 2024

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with this sentiment. I believe the Camino Portuguese can be very isolating with more limited accomodation and people. I would recommend doing the Camino Frances (or part of it) for a starting point.

Just the heavy vehicle traffic. It’s easy enough to get around out of Lisbon to have more of a nature calm walk.
Just please be beware the Portuguese walk can be very isolating. A girlfriend of mine did it solo in 2018 and said she literally met no one. Spent whole days without seeing a pilgrim.

Just please be beware the Portuguese walk can be very isolating. A girlfriend of mine did it solo in 2018 and said she literally met no one. Spent whole days without seeing a pilgrim.
It's been very different post-pandemic. As mentioned above by another user, the Portuguese Central route (especially from Porto northwards) is the second most popular route after the Francis, and as late as November, you'll be seeing lots of pilgrims along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just the heavy vehicle traffic. It’s easy enough to get around out of Lisbon to have more of a nature calm walk.

It can be so varied. I walked in 2018 - left Lisbon at the end of May. At our first stop out of Lisbon at the albergue at Villa Franca theatre were 6 or so other pilgrims staying. While there were not a lot of other pilgrims, my friend and I met up with others fairly regularly.

When I went on my first Camino, I was absolutely terrified. I think it would be unusual if you weren't at least a bit scared!

Can you do it alone: yes, absolutely. You're going to have a great time.

Tip on how to calm down: remind yourself that it's normal to be gushing with adrenaline when preparing for something like this. Some days that will feel like excitement, some days like fear. It's normal for your instincts to get you worked up before you do something "epic".
Oh your comments are making me feel so much more normal. Some days I am excited and some days I am terrified! My trip is in June so I am really planning nowwww and spiraling a bit :)

It's been very different post-pandemic. As mentioned above by another user, the Portuguese Central route (especially from Porto northwards) is the second most popular route after the Francis, and as late as November, you'll be seeing lots of pilgrims along the way.
That’s really good to hear.

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back