Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino primitivo for my first Camino

AndisPath

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023 primitivo
Hello Pilgrims,

Planning my first Camino for September!

I'm Andi. Canadian and US permanent resident. I was hoping to come to Spain in September to walk the Primitivo. Then complications happened and it looked as though I wouldn't be able to this year. But suddenly I am finding that I will be able to come in September! Which is coming up very quickly and I haven't been preparing myself physically. I have just been doing my usual 3-6 miles walk daily. I'm increasing my walks and riding my bike now but I'm not in my best shape.
My question is, can I walk the Primitivo without a lot of planning and training. (I also have very little spanish.) I plan to do shorter sections and take my time, stopping to look at plants, insects, birds etc. I'd like to stop to draw and paint scenes along the way. I'm concerned I will struggle with the altitude so I am thinking if I allow myself 18-20 days. Does this seem reasonable? or am I crazy to be doing this without more research and preparation?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As I found in preparing for 11 (!!!!) Caminos, you're never in your best shape-- but you need to be in shape enough to do it. Especially, pace yourself in your first few days-- the Primitivo involves many theoretically gentle ascents but they feel rather ungentle as the days go on. Your approach of checking out the plants as you go may be very practical. Look at the cats as well. Carry half as much as will be essential for you, and you'll be fine.

Hi, @AndisPath, Welcome to the forum!

I think that with 18-20 days you will have the real luxury of starting out slow and increasing gradually. The “typical” or “normal” Primitivo is about 14 days, so I think that the cushion you’ve given yourself should put your mind at ease.

I know that some forum members have recommended to others that they should not walk the Primitivo as their first camino, so if you get any of that pushback, I want to voice my anticipatory disagreement!

I’ve walked the Primitivo multiple times and I always meet people who have never walked any other camino, people who have not trained, and people who are not in great shape. Sometimes they take a rest day, sometimes they have to take a cab to keep to their schedule, but more often than not, they are fine. Tired at the end of the day, but fine.

As @Tincatinker says, take a look at Gronze and you will see how easy it is to do short stages on the Primitivo (maybe with one exception, but by then you’ll be in great shape!). Starting out slow is always a good plan in case of doubt, and Escamplero is a great first night for that.

Wishing you a wonderful Primitivo.

The Primitivo was without a doubt my favorite Camino by far. My wife and I walked it in 12 days from Oviedo. This was a head of our original schedule, but we met a couple whose company we enjoyed so we ended up keeping pace with them into Santiago.
We were 58 and 59 at that time.
18 to 20 days gives you lots of time and a few full rest days should you need them.
If you arrive in Santiago ahead of your schedule, consider walking to Finistere and Muxia which is what we ended up doing with our 4 extra days.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello Pilgrims,

I'm Andi. Canadian and US permanent resident. I was hoping to come to Spain in September to walk the Primitivo. Then complications happened and it looked as though I wouldn't be able to this year. But suddenly I am finding that I will be able to come in September! Which is coming up very quickly and I haven't been preparing myself physically. I have just been doing my usual 3-6 miles walk daily. I'm increasing my walks and riding my bike now but I'm not in my best shape.
My question is, can I walk the Primitivo without a lot of planning and training. (I also have very little spanish.) I plan to do shorter sections and take my time, stopping to look at plants, insects, birds etc. I'd like to stop to draw and paint scenes along the way. I'm concerned I will struggle with the altitude so I am thinking if I allow myself 18-20 days. Does this seem reasonable? or am I crazy to be doing this without more research and preparation?
You will get fitter each day you walk, perhaps plan shorter distances in the early days and longer days as you progress. But in general I think you are probably as fit as any who do the walk so the guide stages should be do-able, you do have the whole day to complete a stage. Definitely bring hiking poles there is a lot of ascending and descending on the Primitivo.

Hi @AndisPath
Your plan is very doable. You look (from avatar) to be in good health. Your training norm at the moment is fine, and I don’t think you’re crazy at all.
I also think you’ll have time left over to walk the extra distance to the coast (Finisterra/Muxia); (as per idea above from @Trekker One ) if you want to keep going… 🚶‍♀️ 🥾 🚶‍♀️ 🥾
Buen camino.

Hello Pilgrims,

I did the Primitivo as my first Camino and was a reasonably fit 60 year old female. I found it difficult, but it is doable. I did not do the Hospitales route which makes for one long day, but the other which was two days but more difficult.

Although the elevation isn’t overall high, the inclines are quite steep a couple of days. Since you have an abundance of time, take it slowly and you’ll be fine. Your daily walks are more than many ever do to prepare.

Stop in Palatino the first day instead of Grado. You’ll welcome a shorter first day. Corellanos, Salas, Bodenaya are also good stopping points.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, @AndisPath, Welcome to the forum!

I think that with 18-20 days you will have the real luxury of starting out slow and increasing gradually. The “typical” or “normal” Primitivo is about 14 days, so I think that the cushion you’ve given yourself should put your mind at ease.

I know that some forum members have recommended to others that they should not walk the Primitivo as their first camino, so if you get any of that pushback, I want to voice my anticipatory disagreement!

I’ve walked the Primitivo multiple times and I always meet people who have never walked any other camino, people who have not trained, and people who are not in great shape. Sometimes they take a rest day, sometimes they have to take a cab to keep to their schedule, but more often than not, they are fine. Tired at the end of the day, but fine.

As @Tincatinker says, take a look at Gronze and you will see how easy it is to do short stages on the Primitivo (maybe with one exception, but by then you’ll be in great shape!). Starting out slow is always a good plan in case of doubt, and Escamplero is a great first night for that.

Wishing you a wonderful Primitivo.
The Primitivo was my first, I completed it this spring so I can't address what it will be like in the fall, but would like to second Peregrina2000's enthusiasm and advice not to let others discourage you. I met many on the Primitivo for whom this was their first Camino, some better prepared than others, they all loved it.

I loved it, every minute - the long days, the short days, the ups, the downs, the vistas, the sunrises, the mist blanketing the hills. Your plan for shorter stages sounds reasonable. Try smaller steps on the uphills. Pause to take pictures, rest with your sketch pad when you're tired; when you pause on the uphills to catch your breath, use the moment to look back on the path behind you, open your arms to embrace the beauty around you. And no matter how tired you feel, try to smile as you remember to feel gratitude for all the gifts the Camino is offering you. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi AndisPath! Good choice! The Primitivo was my first Camino, done in 2019. I was over 65, living at nearly below sea level, working full time with limited time to train. You most certainly will be successful. Yes, mountains. And hills that, for me, were more challenging due to the steep grade rather than the actual elevation. The descents are, for me, trickier than going up. Do go via Hospitales if the weather cooperates. So take poles, they become a natural extension of your arms. The Primitivo is beautiful!!
Are you aware with the saying in the Catedral de Oviedo next to the statue of El Salvador to the right of the main altar? ”Quien va a Santiago y no al Salvador, visita al criado y deja al Señor”. Who goes to Santiago and not El Salvador visits the servant and not the Lord.
PS: make time to see Mafalda en el parque de San Francisco.
Buen Camino!

Hi @AndisPath , welcome.
I got off the Primitivo just two weeks ago, met LOT'S of people on their first Camino, two of whom had done ZERO training. Not sure what happened to one, but I know the other made it - I was standing in the square greeting a friend when she walked in, just two days after me.
Stop in Palatino the first day instead of Grado. You’ll welcome a shorter first day. Corellanos, Salas, Bodenaya are also good stopping points
Couldn't agree more. Especially with Correllanos and Bodenaya. Alison and Alberto @ Bodenaya are absolutely brilliant, if I was to walk again tomorrow they'd be my only 'musts'.
5-10 km per day is actually not a bad training regimen if you want to walk slowly - with your timeframe you are only talking about doing 20km days, and it still leaves you a couple of rest days . Lot's of time to sit and sketch!
Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Pilgrims,

I walked the Primitivo late Sept 2021 and it was my first Camino. I was 66 at the time and in reasonable shape. It is difficult at times but certainly vey doable for most people I think. Like others have said, start out easy and just take it as it comes, you will be fine. Buen Camino

I walked the Primitivo late Sept 2021 and it was my first Camino. I was 66 at the time and in reasonable shape. It is difficult at times but certainly vey doable for most people I think. Like others have said, start out easy and just take it as it comes, you will be fine. Buen Camino
Thank you for your reply, this helps. I'm 49 and have lost some fitness the past two years so I was worried but I'm feeling more confident after these few replies.

I did the Primitivo as my first Camino and was a reasonably fit 60 year old female. I found it difficult, but it is doable. I did not do the Hospitales route which makes for one long day, but the other which was two days but more difficult.

Although the elevation isn’t overall high, the inclines are quite steep a couple of days. Since you have an abundance of time, take it slowly and you’ll be fine. Your daily walks are more than many ever do to prepare.

Stop in Palatino the first day instead of Grado. You’ll welcome a shorter first day. Corellanos, Salas, Bodenaya are also good stopping points.
Thank you for these tips! I'm thinking I may try booking a private room every so often as well. I have noise sensitivity, after a head injury, and Im imagining I will struggle to sleep in the albergues. Though maybe I'll be exhausted enough from the walking, to sleep though it.all. 😅🙏🏽😅

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm 49 and have lost some fitness the past two years so I was worried but I'm feeling more confident after these few replies.
Andi, I'm 59 and started off with an injury, not knowing if I'd even make it through the first day. T'was a slow day.. but I did it. And my leg improved, day by day, despite me seriously pushing it on the second day. You'll be fine!
No head injury for me, but I'm a very light sleeper so I occasionally booked private rooms too - I just get seriously grumpy if I don't get enough sleep. Nothing worse than an old grumpy bugger, especially when it's yourself ...
Mind you, with most of the Albergues I was pleasantly surprised at how much sleep I managed to get. Yes, earplugs and eyemask are critical, but I even sometimes use them at home!
Incidentally, as you've probably read elsewhere, you probably want to consider a zero/ rest day in Lugo if you find the time. The old town is pretty neat. Good place for a private room too.
Incidentally, if you like old towns do try and explore Ovedio! I sadly did not allow enough time.

Thank you! I was thinking mybe I could do Finesterre if I make good time. 🙏🏽
If you have time, it is definitely worth it! Even if you don't have enough time to walk all the way from Santiago you can take a bus to Finisterre to spend a few days there at the end. Or take a bus to Cee and walk from there. And Muxia if you have time.

The Primitivo was my first, I completed it this spring so I can't address what it will be like in the fall, but would like to second Peregrina2000's enthusiasm and advice not to let others discourage you. I met many on the Primitivo for whom this was their first Camino, some better prepared than others, they all loved it.

I loved it, every minute - the long days, the short days, the ups, the downs, the vistas, the sunrises, the mist blanketing the hills. Your plan for shorter stages sounds reasonable. Try smaller steps on the uphills. Pause to take pictures, rest with your sketch pad when you're tired; when you pause on the uphills to catch your breath, use the moment to look back on the path behind you, open your arms to embrace the beauty around you. And no matter how tired you feel, try to smile as you remember to feel gratitude for all the gifts the Camino is offering you. Buen Camino!
So beautifully said!!! You Just perfectly composed what was running through my mind. We too loved EVERY step of the Primitivo.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Pilgrims,

Hi AndisPath, Camino Primitivo was my first ever Camino - I did it just now in the beginning of July & it was an incredible experience! The views, the mountains... Wow!!! I did it in 13 days. The best advice I got before walking was - take your time, walk in your own rhythm, take all the breaks you need and fully enjoy every step of it. I took one full rest day in day 7 in Grandas De Salime - it was so, so much needed. Then after two more days of walking on my own... I was missing my original group of fellow pilgrims so much (the ones we started together with in the first day in Oviedo) that I took a taxi to "skip over" one day to catch up with them. And it was the best, most joyful reunion! Then the final 4 days we walked again all together... And coming into Santiago together was the most special experience! So yes, in theory I've skipped one day, but in reality it was so perfect and the best decision. Few practical tips - walking poles is a must (I bought mine in Oviedo Decathlon for £20). Also take with you two good knee braces. My knee started hurting so much on day 6, but the brace, cold spray & ibumetin helped to carry on. (I bought mine in Grandas de Salime on my rest day). Every day from day 1 right after you finish - make sure to stretch, massage your legs & feet. Every morning i applied vaseline to my feet before putting on my socks - to avoid friction & rubbing... and I didn't get a single blister! Also make sure to download a good mobile app: I used Wise Pilgrim Primitivo app, you can download all the data before so even when you don't have any cell reception you're all good. BUEN CAMINO!!! :)

Hello Pilgrims,

My first Camino was the Inglés and then the Primitivo and I actually found the Primitivo easier. Took plenty of time - both to look around and not walk to far (for me) each day. We walked by Pola de Allande rather than Hospitales to keep the daily distance shorter and created our own 'stages'. No need to follow the guide book 'stages.
We have always said to 'walk the Camino that calls because that it the right one for you' so if it is calling then follow the call.....
Buen Camino

My first Camino was the Inglés and then the Primitivo and I actually found the Primitivo easier.
Ditto. But for me, the Primitivo was definitely harder- a handful of short, but very steep climbs the likes of which I did not experience on the Ingles . The closest was the climb out of Pontdeume on day 2.
But if you take your time, they’re really no issue.
And much as I loved the Ingles, 1/ it’s too short and 2/ you get more great views from the Primitivo !

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I love the primitivo. It has some legit ups, but the views can be spectacular. I thoroughly respect any pilgrim choosing this as their first... less time spent / less busy / a good camino culture... two roads diverge you know...

I am also starting my camino in September and I have been trying to push this thought (can I walk the Primitivo without a lot of planning and training?) to the back of my mind since I bought the plane ticket.

I have been doing some day hikes and shorter walks this summer but like most, life is busy and I don't make the time to commit to a training regime. I keep reminding myself that it is a camino/pilgrimage that many before me have completed and with way less assistance (modern conveniences).

I am more nervous about doing something to injure myself before I start than I am about the camino itself. I appreciate all the comments about starting out slow and pacing yourself. Buen camino.

I am also starting my camino in September and I have been trying to push this thought (can I walk the Primitivo without a lot of planning and training?) to the back of my mind since I bought the plane ticket.

I have been doing some day hikes and shorter walks this summer but like most, life is busy and I don't make the time to commit to a training regime. I keep reminding myself that it is a camino/pilgrimage that many before me have completed and with way less assistance (modern conveniences).

I am more nervous about doing something to injure myself before I start than I am about the camino itself. I appreciate all the comments about starting out slow and pacing yourself. Buen camino.
Hi cruiser75
You haven’t mentioned having any disabilities or injuries & you look (from your Avatar) pretty fit.
Try to put fears out of your mind. I’m sure you are more than capable and you’ll work it out along the way. Just take it easy for first couple of days until you assess it. You’ll see many people walking who are much less fit than you are and much older.

Lucky you. Beautiful views and camaraderie await.

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Pilgrims,

I think too much planning spoils the “pudding” every thing you plan , comes apart once your shoes hit the ground. Go and let it happen .

Just go!! Don't think. I just did the Primitivo, it is half as difficult as expected..!! And you don't need liters of water to carry.... its not the desert :).
Stay at Casa Pascual in El Espin!! And make a reservation!
Have fun!!

Hello Pilgrims,

You'll do fine.

Hi AndisPath, Camino Primitivo was my first ever Camino - I did it just now in the beginning of July & it was an incredible experience! The views, the mountains... Wow!!! I did it in 13 days. The best advice I got before walking was - take your time, walk in your own rhythm, take all the breaks you need and fully enjoy every step of it. I took one full rest day in day 7 in Grandas De Salime - it was so, so much needed. Then after two more days of walking on my own... I was missing my original group of fellow pilgrims so much (the ones we started together with in the first day in Oviedo) that I took a taxi to "skip over" one day to catch up with them. And it was the best, most joyful reunion! Then the final 4 days we walked again all together... And coming into Santiago together was the most special experience! So yes, in theory I've skipped one day, but in reality it was so perfect and the best decision. Few practical tips - walking poles is a must (I bought mine in Oviedo Decathlon for £20). Also take with you two good knee braces. My knee started hurting so much on day 6, but the brace, cold spray & ibumetin helped to carry on. (I bought mine in Grandas de Salime on my rest day). Every day from day 1 right after you finish - make sure to stretch, massage your legs & feet. Every morning i applied vaseline to my feet before putting on my socks - to avoid friction & rubbing... and I didn't get a single blister! Also make sure to download a good mobile app: I used Wise Pilgrim Primitivo app, you can download all the data before so even when you don't have any cell reception you're all good. BUEN CAMINO!!! :)
Thank you so much for all the good advice !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back