Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can I walk the Primitivo without using my cellphone?

AndisPath

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023 primitivo
I'm starting the Primitivo this weekend. I have not done much in the way of planning besides booking a flight to Madrid, and two nights before I start in Oviedo. I'm wondering if I can do the walk without using my phone. (Except for photos and a call home) The thought of just unplugging and finding my way old school is calling me. Will I find a paper map or guidebook for the Primitivo in Oviedo? Is it possible these days to not book ahead for accomodation? Is the way marked well on this route?
I'm feeling a little stressed not being more prepared but I am trying to lean in to being alright with the unknown and trusting that I will find my way. Any advice from those of you who have recently done the Primitivo would be much appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Assuming you will, in actuality, have your cell-phone with you then you only need to use it as you require.

You may find a printed guide in Oviedo. You might find a "lost" one at the Albergue.

The route is pretty well tramped and way-marked. Accommodations appear at fairly regular intervals. I don't use my phone for navigation except in extremis but I do use it for sourcing accommodation and refreshments. Both can be found using Godgle Maps but one of the camino focussed Apps might be of more practical use.

Buen camino

Of course you can. That's what we did before they existed. Though I grant you we had public phones. Why not just use it for making phone calls? You can buy a paper map, they do still exist, but the route is now decently waymarked and there are enough people to ask if needed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@AndisPath , I walked in July. The route is very well marked, I didn't use a map, let alone my phone for navigation. (I posted here). I did have a basic guidebook, which I initially used to plan stages, but after day two those plans went out the window....
I'd booked my first two nights - because I'm a planner - tried to just let go and see what happened after that. Ironically, Alison at Bodenaya asked that nights residents if we wanted to try the new Albergue - also a Donativo, (Casa Pascal @ El Espina, very well marked and directly off the Camino about 1,5km past Campiello) so she booked that for us. (Sylvia only had 6 beds at that time, we booked the place out. Now she has 10).
You could read my thread, your welcome to message me directly if you prefer.
Suggestion : @cruiser75 is on the trail right now, and also has started a thread.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. This eases my mind. I will get a paper map and try to just walk along with my phone packed away.and ask for help when I need it. 🙏🏽☮️🙏🏽

Just arrived at Lugo and I haven't booked anything yet. Speaking with some of the albergue operators it slows down for them around this time and you shouldn't have any problem finding a place to sleep.
People are very friendly and will happily point you in the right direction. They will know you are "on camino"! If you need to make a call walk in to an albergue or cafe and they will usually have the wifi password posted.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just arrived at Lugo and I haven't booked anything yet. Speaking with some of the albergue operators it slows down for them around this time and you shouldn't have any problem finding a place to sleep.
People are very friendly and will happily point you in the right direction. They will know you are "on camino"! If you need to make a call walk in to an albergue or cafe and they will usually have the wifi password posted.
Thanks so much! This is so great to hear that I can unplug and focus on what's around me. Although I know I'll be taking loads of photos! I'm starting to move towards excitement and away from anxiety!
Bueno Camino!
Thanks for all.your great posts!

In general, the route is well marked. There was one time when I missed a turn off (very obvious when I knew to look for it) perhaps because I was thinking about something else and looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time. Eventually after a couple of kilometers or so without any arrows I figured something was wrong. Checking my phone allowed me to immediately determine I had gone off trail. But I could have just turned around and walked back until I found an arrow and been more careful.

The one time you really don't want to get lost is up on the Hospitales route, but that was exceptionally well marked.

Last edited:
In 2008 I walked the Mozarabe, VdlP and Sanabres without a mobile phone. There were however public phones in most towns and many villages from which I called home.

My wife made me aware of the dangers of not carrying a mobile - if I didn't she would kill me - so I have always carried one since. I don't use it for navigation. I like paper maps and a silva compass.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why not delete all your apps, keep mapy.cz, so turn it into a quasi-dumbphone except with maps and GPS ?

Else get an el cheapo travel phone, delete every single pre-installed app, add mapy.cz, then transfer your sim card to it ?

Otherwise, it's always possible without one. Pilgrims who have their phones stolen along the Way still manage to finish -- been there, done that myself !!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Of course you cannot! I think its Rule #2005 in Codex Calixstinus "Thou SHALL use THOU'S' cell\mobile phone at all times"
LOL

Seriously - it comes with you for all the right and wrong reasons. use it when you want or need. You may be OK without that usage or you may decide you need some 'help'. No harm either way
When I started on my CF last year I was firmly convinced that I am not relying on my phone, save for taking photos and keeping in touch with, shell we say, fans left behind. After I got myself lost couple of times and (speaking of stress) stressed myself enough that each instance of that ballooned into at least an hour of lost time and some extra kilometers... well I downloaded a camino app and started using my phone.
POOF! no stress (and to be fair - most of the times I was using it just to get me on the way early in the morning for the stage-du-jour and to find my albergue-du-nuit at the end of the same)
Whatever you decide - Good Luck and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
In general, the route is well marked. There was one time when I missed a turn off (very obvious in when I knew to look for it) perhaps because I was thinking about something else and looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time. Eventually after a couple of kilometers or so without any arrows I figured something was wrong. Checking my phone allowed me to immediately determine I had gone off trail. But I could have just turned around and walked back until I found an arrow and been more careful.

The one time you really don't want to get lost is up on the Hospitales route, but that was exceptionally well marked.
Thank you. I'm glad the Hospitales is well marked. That sounds like a long enough walk, without getting lost! I'm hoping I'll find someone to walk with over that section.

In 2008 I walked the Mozarabe, VdlP and Sanabres without a mobile phone. There were however public phones in most towns and many villages from which I called home.

My wife made me aware of the dangers of not carrying a mobile - if I didn't she would kill me - so I have always carried one since. I don't use it for navigation. I like paper maps and a silva compass.
My sister also made me promise to have my phone 😁

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Of course you cannot! I think its Rule #2005 in Codex Calixstinus "Though SHALL use THOUSE' cell\mobile phone at all times"
LOL

Seriously - it comes with you for all the right and wrong reasons. use it when you want or need. You may be OK without that usage or you may decide you need some 'help'. No harm either way
When I started on my CF last year I was firmly convinced that I am not relying on my phone, save for taking photos and keeping in touch with, shell we say, fans left behind. After I got myself lost couple of times and (speaking of stress) stressed myself enough that each instance of that ballooned into at least an hour of lost time and some extra kilometers... well I downloaded a camino app and started using my phone.
POOF! no stress (and to be fair - most of the times I was using it just to get me on the way early in the morning for the stage-du-jour and to find my albergue-du-nuit at the end of the same)
Whatever you decide - Good Luck and Buen Camino!
Thank you. I did download a Camino app in case I need it. I guess it'll be nice to see how much I can do old school but I'm not going to punish myself if I need to use it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back