Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Can you walk Camino Primitivo doing 7-10 miles a day?

nichollsb

Hi, there. My friend and I are looking to walk Camino Primitivo in October 2013. Are there enough albergues and towns along the way to walk it doing about 7-10 miles a day? It seems like most averages for El Camino in general are 15-17 miles a day, and I'm guessing that has to do with distances between the towns, time limitations, or physical fitness, or all of those. We have a month to do the walk, and we're interested in taking more time to see some things in the towns.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
interesting matter....

you can see a list of all hostels here

http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiag ... ergues.htm

There is indeed quite a lot of hostels, the only relatively long parts where you will not find any hostels are between La Mesa and Grandas de Salime (11 miles maybe), between Castro and Fonsagrada, between Fonsagrada and Cádavo, and between Cádavo and Lugo, and by taht time you might be used to walking and be able to take longer stretches.

Beware, though, that Primitivo is non stop ups and downs, there are very few flat, straight stretches.

Such a beautiful landscape... ¡Buen camino!

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You will get a good idea of what the shortest distances are by looking at mundicamino.com. They have pretty reliable info and tell you where there are albergues and private accommodation. Just a quick scroll through their stages came up with these:

Oviedo
Escamplero
Grado
Cornellana
Salas
Tineo (18 km)
Campiello or Borres
Pola de Allande
Berducedo
Hotel on the reservoir soon after crossing the dam
Castro
Fonsagrada (20 km)
Cadavo (29 km)
Casroverde
Lugo
San Roman (20)
Ponte Ferreira
Melide (20)
Then you hit the Camino FRances and there are tons of options. So it looks like you will have at least 5 days more than the 11-16 kms. I agree with Amancio that by the time you hit those stages you'll probably be perfectly able to walk more, but I sense from your post that it's more a question of preference than ability. A lot of these little places really have very little to see, though, so you may find that walking further is just fine.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you, both of you, for your help. I appreciate it. I too, believe that with time, it's easier to walk the miles the more you've put time on the trail. And yes, it is mostly due to preference. But if there's not much to see, then so be it. We'll tough it out.

Hola and welcome.
We managed short days most of the time from Salas onwards -
Salas to Bodenaya (or El Espin) then to Tineo;
For Tineo to Santiago see our blog for distances and where we stayed :arrow:
Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes we can !
I think i's possible to walk such a distance from 8AM to 15 or 16PM even in the mountains!
Buen camino to everyone !
Dominique

Most days we walked between about 8.30 am and 14.00pm. This gave us time for breakfast before we set off, time for a coffee stop if there was a bar and a hot meal at lunch time (served from between 13.00 and 15.00 in most places) either before or just after we checked into our accomodation. Then we had a simple snack at night and early to bed (by Spanish standards). If you are walking to arrive about 16.00 you will probably need to have a snack lunch and then eat late, 20.30 or 21.00 is often the time of a hot evening meal. However times and availability do vary depending on where you are.
Yes you can do it
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back