Cathedral renos?

Cicada

Apr 14, 2018
Sydney NSW
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances St Jean -Santiago April -June 2017
We walked the Portugues last year-that's 2018 and we were planning to walk the frances again in 2020 when we'll both be 70! Today my wife asked me what i thought about a camino this year? Well I'm up for it and we can always do another one next year!
So my question is. Is there any truth in the rumor we heard on the Portugues that the cathedral in santiago was to close for renovations sometime this year or next to be all spick and span for the 2021 Holy year?
Many thanks Roger
A very Happy New Year to everyone

A selection of Camino Jewellery

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Apr 6, 2013
Northern Virginia
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
The latter comment is correct. the Cathedral had scaffolding all over the exterior for most of the past four years. It was removed this past summer.

There is some residual scaffolding around the rear, on Plaza Quintana. But, the authorities are racing to get everything done, inside and out, before the Holy Year in 2021.

The Botafumeiro was out of commission for several months last spring for renovation. But, it was back online for the Apostle Saint's feast in late July.

Most of what remains to do, IIRC is inside the Cathedral. The wonderful Portico of Glory was reopened last July, in time for the Apostle Saint's feast day on 25 July.

Someone who is there now, or who has been in the Cathedral recently can update this status.

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
F

Former member 69452

When I was there at the end of Sept, the Portico de la Gloria was behind a fence and the only view of it was from the rear. Not sure if they've since re-opened. Here's a pic of the area and to the right, you can see the fence. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• 20180926_130138.jpg
    20180926_130138.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 32
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Cicada

Apr 14, 2018
Sydney NSW
Frances St Jean -Santiago April -June 2017
The latter comment is correct. the Cathedral had scaffolding all over the exterior for most of the past four years. It was removed this past summer.

There is some residual scaffolding around the rear, on Plaza Quintana. But, the authorities are racing to get everything done, inside and out, before the Holy Year in 2021.

The Botafumeiro was out of commission for several months last spring for renovation. But, it was back online for the Apostle Saint's feast in late July.

Most of what remains to do, IIRC is inside the Cathedral. The wonderful Portico of Glory was reopened last July, in time for the Apostle Saint's feast day on 25 July.

Someone who is there now, or who has been in the Cathedral recently can update this status.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that !
The "rumor" we heard was that the cathedral would be totally closed for a while but thinking about it that is never going to happen!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Apr 6, 2013
Northern Virginia
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
When the Portico de la Gloria was reopened this past July, it was sectioned off from the main Cathedral, so admission could be managed from the front (West Portico) of the Cathedral. This was independent of the main entrance on the South Transept (Plaza Praterias).

This was done for two reasons:
  1. The interest in seeing the newly restored medieval masterpiece (Portico de la Gloria) is as great as seeing the Cathedral generally. Waiting times during the hottest July & August days stretched to three hours. The queue backed up to the Galician government building on the opposite side of Plaza Obradoiro.
  2. The rules regarding touching, photographs, etc. are MUCH more strict than for the main Cathedral. BAsically NOTHING is allowed in or near the restored portico. NO umbrellas, backpacks, cameras, bottled water, or touching, etc. They are very serious about protecting this cultural icon.
Thus, it was necessary to find a way to manage both streams of visitors separately.

I do not know the present status.

Hope this helps.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my shoes are pretty down and worn out now with holes in it. As it is rainy these days I won’t make it to Fisterra with dry feet. Can you recommend a good shop for shoes in Santiago...
Hi to all, I'm on the invierno right now and I will be in santiago tomorrow. I realise today I didn't get two stamps per day in the last 100 km. My question is how in the pilgrim office they are...
To anyone who just finished the Camino these past few days, or who will be finishing the Camino today or tomorrow: If you'll have finished the Camino by tomorrow night and if you'll be in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.