• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Chase Bank/Euros in USA

migolito

I just checked with Chase. They will provide Euros at cost (whatever the exchange rate is) w/no fees. Just order them a week before ya go.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
migolito said:
I just checked with Chase. They will provide Euros at cost (whatever the exchange rate is) w/no fees. Just order them a week before ya go.

Fantastic!

I use Chase all the time
At this time (checked last Friday) the rate is 1.335 dollar per euro (change every day)
No fees.
Maybe you need to be a customer

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There are ATMs in all but the smallest towns so you don't need to start off with 1000 Euros in your pocket. I started with 300 euros and traveled for the first week, in which time I spent 200 Euros.
At that point, I accessed my account on an ATM and got another 200 Euros for the next week.

Following this system, I always had at least 100 Euros.

Each person works out their own cash flow... There was a Canadian couple that wanted to buy Euros from me with Canadian currency because they spent their last Euro...Not very mature behavior, but $... happens so I bailed them out.

Put your worries behind you. You are in for a great experience.
David, Victoria, Canada.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Given that the current exchange rate is closer to $1.23, I think you are paying about a 9% fee for your exchange. The ATM will give you Euros for something closer to $1.23

I don't see how this is a less expensive choice.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to exchange some money at the airport. Or is this a sure way to get marked as a target when you're there for pickpockets to observe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The fee is the difference between what they sell you them for and what they buy them back for!

There are ATMs in all but the smallest towns so you don't need to start off with 1000 Euros in your pocket. I started with 300 euros and traveled for the first week, in which time I spent 200 Euros.
At that point, I accessed my account on an ATM and got another 200 Euros for the next week.
Following this system, I always had at least 100 Euros.
Put your worries behind you. You are in for a great experience.
David, Victoria, Canada.
I would agree with David, do not bring a large amount of cash with you, too risky, €300 is a good amount to start with IMO and then just use the ATM's in the larger towns.

I'm wondering if it's a good idea to exchange some money at the airport. Or is this a sure way to get marked as a target when you're there for pickpockets to observe

Yeah, the people at the exchange booth will pick your pockets with their fees and bad exchange rate :)

Using the ATM is fine though. Just use the normal precautions that you would to keep your cash safe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. It's not a bad idea to have some euros in your pocket when you go over, just in case there is an issue with your credit or ATM cards. Not to mention that when you land, you don't have to worry about finding an ATM right away.

How much? 150 to 300 euros should be fine.

Why are you ordering Euros before you go?
I don't suggest you carry more than €200-300 at a time on the Camino.

I never take euros with me.
I just pick them up at the one of many ATMs at the airport when I arrive.
I've never had a problem.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. It's not a bad idea to have some euros in your pocket when you go over, just in case there is an issue with your credit or ATM cards. Not to mention that when you land, you don't have to worry about finding an ATM right away.

Thanks, jeffnd, I think it'll follow your suggestion. It may not be totally necessary but it would be one less thing to worry about when I arrive in Seville. Maybe after this first camino, I'll be more confident, @Anniesantiago, when I do my second and third camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I once went to Vietnam with a pair of undies and a toothbrush as my carry on. Got a little concerned when the first four ATMs would not work with my card. I couldn't even get out of the airport. Having some local currency on hand can certainly work on occasions.

I once went to Vietnam with a pair of undies and a toothbrush as my carry on. Got a little concerned when the first four ATMs would not work with my card. I couldn't even get out of the airport. Having some local currency on hand can certainly work on occasions.

I haven't been to Vietnam, but Spain isn't Vietnam. I don't mean to sound snarky, but I would be stunned to learn that anyone on the forum had problems getting money from an ATM machine in any Spanish airport. I don't think there is any reason to bring euros with you on your way to Spain unless you have them already. Any states-side transaction is going to give you a worse rate than an ATM in a Spanish airport. Buen camino, Laurie

I haven't been to Vietnam, but Spain isn't Vietnam. I don't mean to sound snarky, but I would be stunned to learn that anyone on the forum had problems getting money from an ATM machine in any Spanish airport. I don't think there is any reason to bring euros with you on your way to Spain unless you have them already. Any states-side transaction is going to give you a worse rate than an ATM in a Spanish airport. Buen camino, Laurie

Hey, not an issue to me.

However, while the people are lined up at the airport ATM I'm in the cab halfway to my hotel. Sure, my 100e in my pocket cost me 72 cents more in exchange at home than I get at mid-market rates from the ATM, I do save on the 4AUD ATM fee. For some people, convenience and waiting in line isn't an issue, for others it is. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

EDIT. I just checked the multi currency ATM across the road from my office and it costs $1.60 over the mid-market rates soI underestimated the cost there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It wouldn't hurt have €50 on you when land, just don't bring your entire funds for the whole trip converted into €, that's what an ATM is for.

I had problems with my card when I landed in Paris. And yes, I did the whole call my bank thing and let them know well ahead of time too. It still got declined. Several ATM's along the Camino also refused to take it.

I'm not saying you need to bring enough cash to cover your whole trip, in fact, I would recommend not doing that. But bring enough a hundred or so euros. For 150 euros, you're paying about 5 extra dollars on top of the exchange rate at Wells Fargo. That's actually cheaper than what an ATM transaction fee is going to cost you in Spain.

I had the best luck with the Telebanco network of ATM's with my magnetic stripe debit card.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know nothing about Vietnam, but I know that every year that I go to Spain (since 2004) I get euros from the ATM at the airport with no problems.

Hey, not an issue to me.

However, while the people are lined up at the airport ATM I'm in the cab halfway to my hotel. Sure, my 100e in my pocket cost me 72 cents more in exchange at home than I get at mid-market rates from the ATM, I do save on the 4AUD ATM fee. For some people, convenience and waiting in line isn't an issue, for others it is. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

EDIT. I just checked the multi currency ATM across the road from my office and it costs $1.60 over the mid-market rates soI underestimated the cost there.

I also have yet to encounter a line at the airport ATM.

I walk off my plane, go to the ATM, take out €200 and I'm off to the bus to Pamplona.

(But do whatever makes your little heart happy!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only bank I know of that does not charge a fee, and in fact reimbursees all fees at the end of each month is Charles Schwab.
Their card works in every ATM I've ever used all over the world.
I get back ALL my fees at the end of the month.
I only pay the exact current exchange rate.

Ouch. And with that I'm out!

Heeeeeyyyyy Ross!
I didn't mean to kick you to the curb.:eek:

Just an expression.
I should have put a smiley afterwards. :p
It's so difficult to communicate clearly in these forums.o_O

What I meant was everybody should just do what works for them. ;)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now that we've been talking about ATMs, do you have better luck with a card with an EMV chip?

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back