Chase Bank/Euros in USA

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

skilsaw

Veteran Member
May 7, 2009
Victoria, Canada
There are ATMs in all but the smallest towns so you don't need to start off with 1000 Euros in your pocket. I started with 300 euros and traveled for the first week, in which time I spent 200 Euros.
At that point, I accessed my account on an ATM and got another 200 Euros for the next week.

Following this system, I always had at least 100 Euros.

Each person works out their own cash flow... There was a Canadian couple that wanted to buy Euros from me with Canadian currency because they spent their last Euro...Not very mature behavior, but $... happens so I bailed them out.

Put your worries behind you. You are in for a great experience.
David, Victoria, Canada.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
Time of past OR future Camino
2012, 2013, 2014.
There are ATMs in all but the smallest towns so you don't need to start off with 1000 Euros in your pocket. I started with 300 euros and traveled for the first week, in which time I spent 200 Euros.
At that point, I accessed my account on an ATM and got another 200 Euros for the next week.
Following this system, I always had at least 100 Euros.
Put your worries behind you. You are in for a great experience.
David, Victoria, Canada.
I would agree with David, do not bring a large amount of cash with you, too risky, €300 is a good amount to start with IMO and then just use the ATM's in the larger towns.

november_moon

Veteran Member
Mar 10, 2012
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to exchange some money at the airport. Or is this a sure way to get marked as a target when you're there for pickpockets to observe

Yeah, the people at the exchange booth will pick your pockets with their fees and bad exchange rate :)

Using the ATM is fine though. Just use the normal precautions that you would to keep your cash safe.

Reactions: ricitosdeplata
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

jeffnd

May 14, 2012
North Dakota, USA
March/April 2014
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. It's not a bad idea to have some euros in your pocket when you go over, just in case there is an issue with your credit or ATM cards. Not to mention that when you land, you don't have to worry about finding an ATM right away.

How much? 150 to 300 euros should be fine.

Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.caminosantiago2.blogspot.com
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I just checked with Chase. They will provide Euros at cost (whatever the exchange rate is) w/no fees. Just order them a week before ya go.

Why are you ordering Euros before you go?
I don't suggest you carry more than €200-300 at a time on the Camino.

I never take euros with me.
I just pick them up at the one of many ATMs at the airport when I arrive.
I've never had a problem.

Reactions: peregrina2000

ricitosdeplata

Aug 3, 2012
Seguin, TX
09/2015: Via de la Plata
I've said this before, but I'll say it again. It's not a bad idea to have some euros in your pocket when you go over, just in case there is an issue with your credit or ATM cards. Not to mention that when you land, you don't have to worry about finding an ATM right away.

Thanks, jeffnd, I think it'll follow your suggestion. It may not be totally necessary but it would be one less thing to worry about when I arrive in Seville. Maybe after this first camino, I'll be more confident, @Anniesantiago, when I do my second and third camino.

Reactions: Anniesantiago
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

rossmckay

Jul 6, 2015
Canberra
vinsiders.net
Sept 2016

I once went to Vietnam with a pair of undies and a toothbrush as my carry on. Got a little concerned when the first four ATMs would not work with my card. I couldn't even get out of the airport. Having some local currency on hand can certainly work on occasions.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Mar 6, 2006
Champaign, Illinois, USA
I once went to Vietnam with a pair of undies and a toothbrush as my carry on. Got a little concerned when the first four ATMs would not work with my card. I couldn't even get out of the airport. Having some local currency on hand can certainly work on occasions.

I haven't been to Vietnam, but Spain isn't Vietnam. I don't mean to sound snarky, but I would be stunned to learn that anyone on the forum had problems getting money from an ATM machine in any Spanish airport. I don't think there is any reason to bring euros with you on your way to Spain unless you have them already. Any states-side transaction is going to give you a worse rate than an ATM in a Spanish airport. Buen camino, Laurie

Reactions: Anniesantiago

rossmckay

Jul 6, 2015
Canberra
vinsiders.net
Sept 2016
I haven't been to Vietnam, but Spain isn't Vietnam. I don't mean to sound snarky, but I would be stunned to learn that anyone on the forum had problems getting money from an ATM machine in any Spanish airport. I don't think there is any reason to bring euros with you on your way to Spain unless you have them already. Any states-side transaction is going to give you a worse rate than an ATM in a Spanish airport. Buen camino, Laurie

Hey, not an issue to me.

However, while the people are lined up at the airport ATM I'm in the cab halfway to my hotel. Sure, my 100e in my pocket cost me 72 cents more in exchange at home than I get at mid-market rates from the ATM, I do save on the 4AUD ATM fee. For some people, convenience and waiting in line isn't an issue, for others it is. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

EDIT. I just checked the multi currency ATM across the road from my office and it costs $1.60 over the mid-market rates soI underestimated the cost there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

jeffnd

May 14, 2012
North Dakota, USA
March/April 2014

I had problems with my card when I landed in Paris. And yes, I did the whole call my bank thing and let them know well ahead of time too. It still got declined. Several ATM's along the Camino also refused to take it.

I'm not saying you need to bring enough cash to cover your whole trip, in fact, I would recommend not doing that. But bring enough a hundred or so euros. For 150 euros, you're paying about 5 extra dollars on top of the exchange rate at Wells Fargo. That's actually cheaper than what an ATM transaction fee is going to cost you in Spain.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I'm wondering if it's a good idea to exchange some money at the airport. Or is this a sure way to get marked as a target when you're there for pickpockets to observe
I do it every year and haven't had any problems.

Reactions: ricitosdeplata
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I know nothing about Vietnam, but I know that every year that I go to Spain (since 2004) I get euros from the ATM at the airport with no problems.

Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Hey, not an issue to me.

However, while the people are lined up at the airport ATM I'm in the cab halfway to my hotel. Sure, my 100e in my pocket cost me 72 cents more in exchange at home than I get at mid-market rates from the ATM, I do save on the 4AUD ATM fee. For some people, convenience and waiting in line isn't an issue, for others it is. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

EDIT. I just checked the multi currency ATM across the road from my office and it costs $1.60 over the mid-market rates soI underestimated the cost there.

I also have yet to encounter a line at the airport ATM.

I walk off my plane, go to the ATM, take out €200 and I'm off to the bus to Pamplona.

(But do whatever makes your little heart happy!)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
The only bank I know of that does not charge a fee, and in fact reimbursees all fees at the end of each month is Charles Schwab.
Their card works in every ATM I've ever used all over the world.
I get back ALL my fees at the end of the month.
I only pay the exact current exchange rate.

Nov 1, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Ouch. And with that I'm out!

Heeeeeyyyyy Ross!
I didn't mean to kick you to the curb.:eek:

Just an expression.
I should have put a smiley afterwards. :p
It's so difficult to communicate clearly in these forums.o_O

What I meant was everybody should just do what works for them. ;)

Reactions: Kanga
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides