Christmas and New Year Eve on the Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
May 20, 2021
Anchorage, Alaska
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Fall 2023
My French son in law arrived in Santiago on Christmas Day several years ago. It was snowing. I have done a lot of winter camping here in Alaska. We walked from Almeria to Granada on the Camino Mozarabe last March. The weather was delightful. We did not have to carry extra winter clothing. I will be walking from Malaga to Cordoba next February. I am hoping the weather will be delightful. Buen Camino

Reactions: David

Takahiwai

Oct 11, 2023
Myanmar
1998 Chartres - SdC; 2005 Orleans Camino del Norte
I did the camino during that period of time, and I was worried about where I might be able to stay during Christmas (it was 1998, so there weren't as many options as there are now). I asked the hospitalera at Mansilla de las Mulas if I could stay there over Christmas, on my way back from Santiago. No problem, she said, and that's what I did. Not sure what might be open on the lesser-walked caminos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
Normally as a volunteer hospitalero in an albergue, for New Year's we had to enforce the quiet hours so that pilgrims got their rest. The rest of Spain was doing the 12 grapes at midnight and we were all sleeping. I am the ultimate wet blanket about late nights and noise.

MariaSP

Dec 11, 2017
Galicia
spanishforcamino.com
C. inglés 2029
C. portugués 2021, 2022
are there any New Year traditions on the camino? we’ll be on CF.
Main New Year tradition in Spain: eat 12 grapes at midnight. Toast with "cava" and party till the morning and go home after a breakfast of "chocolate con churros". Sleep most of January 1 😂
Christmas in Spain

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
My dear pilgrims, this year I have some free time during the holiday season (from Christmas to early January) and I had the idea to do the Camino, has anyone of you ever done it during winter ? Which camino would you recommend to do ?
You may find this thread for Christmas pilgrims of interest.

Reactions: Luka

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances
The Holy See has published details concerning the 2025 Roman Jubilee of Hope here : https://www.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/bulls/documents/20240509_spes-non-confundit_bolla-giubileo2025.html...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides