• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2016

I will be experiencing the Camino with a friend in the Spring of 2016. This forum is a wealth of information... much appreciated! Any input on the weather in mid April thru mid May?
Buen Camino to all!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This past spring it was beautiful...cool mornings and not too hot during the day with few exceptions. Hope to start in early spring again in 2016. The only issue might be late snows en los Pirineos.

We'll take whatever weather the Camino decides to deliver! We'll smile and find the good in every moment. Thank you for your input.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since I ran into problems with not being able to stay in Spain for long enough without a visa I will try to do the VDLP in late April 2016 if all goes as planned. :)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I will be experiencing the Camino with a friend in the Spring of 2016. This forum is a wealth of information... much appreciated! Any input on the weather in mid April thru mid May?
Buen Camino to all!
We walked throughout April and into May in 2013. We had every possible kind of weather, from snow in Navarre to wind storms in La Rioja to unbearable heat (for us anyway) in Leon to rain in Galicia.

At one point it hailed, and we started laughing uncontrollably. It was the only weather we hadn't had already!

If our experience is anything to go by, the weather in Spring is a complete grab bag. Be prepared for anything!

We walked throughout April and into May in 2013. We had every possible kind of weather, from snow in Navarre to wind storms in La Rioja to unbearable heat (for us anyway) in Leon to rain in Galicia.

At one point it hailed, and we started laughing uncontrollably. It was the only weather we hadn't had already!

If our experience is anything to go by, the weather in Spring is a complete grab bag. Be prepared for anything!
Well... that clears up what to be prepared for! Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'lll walk my first camino in 2015 (CF) and return to walk in 2016--probably the same but from Le Puy! or de La Plata. Something just a bit different, and probably beginning in early May.

Hello to everyone!!! My name is Nina and I will be walking my first Camino next year, 2016! Still undecided as to what month, having trouble deciding between May or September. Going to be starting the big 3-0 off in a great way, very excited to find this website and start my journey :)

Hello to everyone!!! My name is Nina and I will be walking my first Camino next year, 2016! Still undecided as to what month, having trouble deciding between May or September. Going to be starting the big 3-0 off in a great way, very excited to find this website and start my journey :)

Nina, today is a very special day for you: your first day in the forum! I am planning my first walk for this coming September, October, and November--and I am beyond excited. I am glad for you, too and am also thinking that you have planned a great way to turn 30.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nina, today is a very special day for you: your first day in the forum! I am planning my first walk for this coming September, October, and November--and I am beyond excited. I am glad for you, too and am also thinking that you have planned a great way to turn 30.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and sharing in my excitement! Are you getting so excited for your Camino this fall?? How will the weather be in those months? Which way are you walking? I really want to do the Camino de Frances, but I really feel like I need to start training already and walking around here. I hope the next few months of preparation goes well, and I just noticed you are in Oregon! So close! I am up in WA.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Hello all! I plan on walking the Camino with my daughter in May-June 2016. She will have just graduated from high school and I will be nearing my 45th birthday. We've been reading guide books and formulating our plan since last year, so I hope we will be prepared!! Our planned starting point is Pamplona, is anyone else walking in that time frame and starting from that point?

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and sharing in my excitement! Are you getting so excited for your Camino this fall?? How will the weather be in those months? Which way are you walking? I really want to do the Camino de Frances, but I really feel like I need to start training already and walking around here. I hope the next few months of preparation goes well, and I just noticed you are in Oregon! So close! I am up in WA.

Wishing you the best of luck!
Thanks so much, Ninamarie!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello all! I plan on walking the Camino with my daughter in May-June 2016. She will have just graduated from high school and I will be nearing my 45th birthday. We've been reading guide books and formulating our plan since last year, so I hope we will be prepared!! Our planned starting point is Pamplona, is anyone else walking in that time frame and starting from that point?
How exciting and fun to do the camino with your daughter! Buen Camino!

Welcome at this wonderful forum , Wish you and your daughter a Buen Camino, Peter.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2016?
Buen Camino
Arn
I'm flying into Madrid on June 15, taking a day or 2 in Avila to see some things and get over jet lag, then heading to SJPP. Will leave SJPP on the 18 to start my first camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ok so was reluctant to post since 2016 is a fair bit away yet but yes I'm planning to head off Sarria to Santiago in April 2016. Was originally going to go 2015 butmy daughter will be in an exam year and doing pre exams in April2015 so have to defer. Still it gives me more time to train lol since this is definitely the first thing of its kind I have ever dared to aspire to. Am really glad to get to know anyone going in 2016 as I will more than likely be going it alone.
My friend and I will doing the Camino Frances beginning Mid April 2016 - maybe we'll see you there!
Buen Camino!

I'll start my first Camino in late August 2016 from SJPP. I'm so excited to have made the decision, this has been in the back of my mind for about two years. This will be my graduation gift to myself. Happy training everyone!

My neighbor and I will be doing our first Camino in April 2016... I understand your excitement! Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Buen Camino
Arn
Hi I'm Pattii. I had plans to walk the Camino this year but there were some unexpected situations that occurred and I have decided to walk in 2016. I was on the forum some time ago but can't remember my sign in name so I have signed up again. I hope to reconnect to those who had plans walking when I was here a couple years ago and also hope to connect to those walking in 2016. The plan at the moment is to walk in early summer 2016 but it's not set in stone. I have started to look for boots tho'!

I may see you on the Camino. I too am planning on starting in SJPP starting in May 2016. A nice way to celebrate my 50th. I am looking into cycling a portion of it (from Burgos to Leon) so I have time to go to Finisterre. I'm hoping I'll be able to do it all in 35 days and have a couple rest days as well. (That's why I'm leaning towards a cycling portion.) Buen Camino!
I couldn't get there to start 50 on the Camino so Im gonna end it there!

Hi, everyone! I'm planning to walk my first camino Aug. - Sept. 2016. I'll be turning 32 then and I hope this pilgrimage will help me see where my life should be heading. I have nothing but admiration for everyone in this forum. I hope my camino would really be a life changer!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, I'm planning walk my first camino- the French Way from St Jean to Santiago- in May 2016.

This forum has been extremely helpful when making my plans and preparetions. Hoping to see some of you on the way next year!
Tanja

After getting the proposal, my Fiance told me he'd walk the Camino with me, knowing how important it has been in my life! So, we've worked the Camino into our wedding plans, and now our close friends are doing a wedding processional Camino with us, and at the end in Fisterra or Muxia we will perform our own little wedding Ceremony between us and God and our friends (The Classic/Legal wedding to take place in front of our parents and families back home afterwards).

Our class of 2016 walk will begin around June 18th and will arrive in Santiago on the 24th, this time we WILL see the celebration and fireworks!
Allykat that sounds wonderful and it is so super that youhave such a kindred spirit in your future hubby that he is doing this to fulfil a dream for you. Buen Camino to you both May this be the start of a wonderful life Camino for you.xx

Camino part two is whether to start in May or September 2016 . Last year it was September 26th from St Jean and the weather was excellent. This time I will start from Los Arcos . My back shut me down last time . Today I'm healed and training again. This time I know what to expect ( as much as one can know when on the Camino) . This time all the " what if's" and little uncertainties are answered. The " OMG I'm actually here doing this will be mellowed to an enjoyable feeling of returning. I miss those Bagettes and Cheese Wedges, can't wait to stock up. Once more the clock is ticking ... how sweet the sound. ( Joe - Arkansas)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Camino part two is whether to start in May or September 2016 . Last year it was September 26th from St Jean and the weather was excellent. This time I will start from Los Arcos . My back shut me down last time . Today I'm healed and training again. This time I know what to expect ( as much as one can know when on the Camino) . This time all the " what if's" and little uncertainties are answered. The " OMG I'm actually here doing this will be mellowed to an enjoyable feeling of returning. I miss those Bagettes and Cheese Wedges, can't wait to stock up. Once more the clock is ticking ... how sweet the sound. ( Joe - Arkansas)
Would love to know if you would take anything different the second time around vs the first. I hope you have a great Camino!

Good Luck!

Class of 2016 checking in with 3 walkers. Look to be starting mid-May 2016, finishing mid-June. Camino Frances. Me (at that time) age 55, my wife, 3 months younger but much prettier, and our daughter, age 21.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Would love to know if you would take anything different the second time around vs the first. I hope you have a great Camino!

Hi Pattii . Take anything different ? Yes . Less. I plan on taking "Less" . Less clothes , Less water, Less toiletries , .. basically Less weight .
I will also take less apprehension. I will also take More . More understanding , more patience , more earplugs .

I hope you have a great Camino too .. it's hard , but it's also incredible

Great News to learn that all is well and you will be continuing next year! Happy planning in the months to come. Looking forward to reading your updates.

Carpe diem and, as always,
Ultreia,

Margaret Meredith

Hi Dead Fred,
I'm glad to see that you are back. I remember last year on the Class of 2014 thread. You organised a list of forum members who would commence in August and September. The list just grew bigger and bigger as the dates came closer. Haha!
Buen camino for next year. I am a member of class of 2015 now, 7 months after finishing my CF.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I'lll walk my first camino in 2015 (CF) and return to walk in 2016--probably the same but from Le Puy! or de La Plata. Something just a bit different, and probably beginning in early May.
I just realized we may be walking same time same place next year...was thinking of taking it from Le Puy around the same time! I sure hope I get to meet you along the way!

Great News to learn that all is well and you will be continuing next year! Happy planning in the months to come. Looking forward to reading your updates.

Carpe diem and, as always,
Ultreia,

Margaret Meredith

Thanks Margaret ! I Appreciate that :) Yes! Carpe diem!

Hi Dead Fred,
I'm glad to see that you are back. I remember last year on the Class of 2014 thread. You organised a list of forum members who would commence in August and September. The list just grew bigger and bigger as the dates came closer. Haha!
Buen camino for next year. I am a member of class of 2015 now, 7 months after finishing my CF.

Angelo! I remember you . 7 months? That time will whizz by , if you keep a blog please send it. That 2014 Peregrino thread was so much fun .. believe final count for September was 114 members several of whom I had the pleasure to meet in person on the Camino . Thinking about doing another thread for 2016 ( once I decide my dates) .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeah, I have become a repeat Camino pilgrim. I commence the Camino Portugues in 2 weeks time. I can't wait!
I did meet a few of the members of our big CF group last year, haha! That was a good initiative!
Cheers!

Hi -- I am a new member and planning to walk the Camino in May,2016. I will turn 70 in December, and just lost my husband last July after a long illness. Years of caregiving have left me very unfit, but I have a year to get ready and am hoping for the best. I don't feel ready for the mountains, will start in Pamplona or Leon I think. My thought is that my daily distances may be quite short but that at this point I have nothing but time. I am studying Spanish now (going to Spanish immersion school in the fall) and am very much looking forward to this pilgrimage.

Hi -- I am a new member and planning to walk the Camino in May,2016. I will turn 70 in December, and just lost my husband last July after a long illness. Years of caregiving have left me very unfit, but I have a year to get ready and am hoping for the best. I don't feel ready for the mountains, will start in Pamplona or Leon I think. My thought is that my daily distances may be quite short but that at this point I have nothing but time. I am studying Spanish now (going to Spanish immersion school in the fall) and am very much looking forward to this pilgrimage.

Welcome to the class of 2016. Sorry to hear of your loss. Hopefully the Camino will give you an opportunity to heal. There is a great deal to learn from those who have already traveled the Way.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

I am very sorry for your loss.

You mentioned that you are very unfit but have a year to get ready. May I suggest that part of your training include using a low impact elliptical machine and/or stair-master. Even starting in Leon there are some challenging uphill stretches. Of course, please talk to your doctor before beginning a training regimen and consider engaging a personal trainer to get you started and avoid injury.

You may find that after a year of working out 3 times/week the Pyrenees don't look so high. :)

Buen Camino

Thank you Roger M. I will use the elliptical machine, which is really important for me since I live on the Atlantic coast (North Carolina) where everything is flat. Actually my legs are fairly strong, my biggest worry is my back and ability to carry a backpack. (Have always had much stronger lower body than upper.) Do you (or anyone) have suggestions for increasing strength for carrying a pack? Thanks!

Thank you Roger M. I will use the elliptical machine, which is really important for me since I live on the Atlantic coast (North Carolina) where everything is flat. Actually my legs are fairly strong, my biggest worry is my back and ability to carry a backpack. (Have always had much stronger lower body than upper.) Do you (or anyone) have suggestions for increasing strength for carrying a pack? Thanks!

lmsundaze - I am not an authority , but I would consider doing a stretching program and possibly some weight training ( starting with small weights, ex. 5 lb's ). My wife signed us up for a stretching program and we have been doing it for a few weeks. I was not too optimistic at first. I'm the only fella in the class. Being 61, it has already helped me a lot. Good Luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello everyone!
Inspired by my wife I decided to join this forum. Also, I have this great plan of walking the Via Turonensis from Paris to Santiago.

Quite honestly speaking, so far I don't know a whole lot about my plan, but I'm sure it will all come together in due time. Most probably I will take off from Paris late(r) this year, but I have no idea how long the journey will take especially as, due to certain restrictions (such as my job), I must walk at least through France in bits. Let's see how it goes!

I have a year to get ready and am hoping for the best. I don't feel ready for the mountains, will start in Pamplona or Leon I think. My thought is that my daily distances may be quite short but that at this point I have nothing but time. I am studying Spanish now (going to Spanish immersion school in the fall) and am very much looking forward to this pilgrimage.

I think this is an excellent plan and agree with Roger ......... think about using walking poles/sticks to help alleviate stress on your lower body joints. A good reason to start stretching regularly is to increase the mobility of your joints (ankles and knees) and all the supporting ligaments muscles and tendons around them. I think 10 minutes a day of good stretching like your going to go for a run is sufficient. I saw a lot shin splints, ankle injuries and so forth and I think it came form just not have the flexibility and mobility of the joints. I am speaking from experience too as I sprained my ankle and didn't finish the Camino.

Also I am sure you have figured out by now blisters are a problem - the most serious from when I was there in 2013. I think you can search the forums and get some good advice there. I think blisters are the most written about topic I have seen here but despite all this people don't prepare with properly worn in shoes or sock liners ect. I am not an expert but I think you will really enjoy this and what a wonderful way to start your new life and commemorate your past. I wish you the very best and god bless you on your journey!

Buen Camino!

Get yourself a good and proper sized exercise ball...you know the big ones. I have had surgery on my back...ongoing back issues but the best thing you can do is strengthen you back and there are great exercises you can do without damaging it more on one of the big balls. Ask a physiotherapist which your Dr. can refer you to to show you how. They are not difficult and prove for me at least to be one of the best group of exercises I've done regarding my back. Walking itself strengthens the back but its your core you need to work on which can be done with the ball. Our core muscles are what hold our back in the right position and give us strength to carry the heavy loads. Anyway...those are my thoughts... I am very sorry for your loss. I can't say I understand totally what you are going through but I can relate as I lost my only brother just weeks ago. Big huge hugs and my thoughts and prayers are with you as you gain confidence and momentum in preparation for your Camino...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone!
Inspired by my wife I decided to join this forum. Also, I have this great plan of walking the Via Turonensis from Paris to Santiago.

Quite honestly speaking, so far I don't know a whole lot about my plan, but I'm sure it will all come together in due time. Most probably I will take off from Paris late(r) this year, but I have no idea how long the journey will take especially as, due to certain restrictions (such as my job), I must walk at least through France in bits. Let's see how it goes!
WELCOME to our (lol) exclusive 2016 club...I hope you have a fabulous Camino~

Hello everyone!

That sounds cool. I walked the Camino Frances last year. Since then I've learned there are routes from Paris. I may like to do that in the future. I'll be interested to hear how it goes. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Roger. I'll surely post something about my experiences, well, after I get myself on the road first. :D

Hi lmsundaze

The key to this is to keep your pack weight down to an absolute minimum. I will be off to SJPP in a week for 1,000kms and 7 weeks on my Camino, and my pack weight is just below 5kgs without water and food, so will not be above 6kgs even with water and snacks.

You also need to ensure a well fitted pack with the waist belt well secured on your pelvis and the shoulder straps loosened off so that the pack weight is carried on the hips and not on the shoulders which means no downward pressure on the spine. That way you protect your back.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola amigos! My name is Randall and I am planning on beginning my pilgrimage in April 2016. I am happy to have found this valuable resource. It has already become a daily read.

In the spirit of John Muir, the Camino is calling and I must go!

I know the feeling. Have a wonderful pilgrimage!

I went in the fall and had great weather. I'll be interested in hearing how Mother Nature treats you in the spring.

Buen Camino to all!
A Buen Camino to you to, Peter.

I'm 65 and last year started back with the gym. They put me on a program with TRX, exercise ball and just basic stuff like squats and various exercises on the mat which you can do at home. It's all about building up 'core strength'. It was just amazing the difference it made to general balance and physical strength and confidence. The TRX seemed to involve back muscles more directly, but lifting and carrying involve a whole bunch of muscle groups, not just the ones in your back. Anyway I'd say consult a fitness expert.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello all; planning Camino September 2016 - I am new to this; I have no idea where to start from, what the best route would be - will only tackle the last 100km at this stage. any advice? I;m in South Africa, are there any other South AFricans doing Camino in september 2016? I was thinking either from France or Spain the last 100km. I believe one must have a pilgrimage passport?

Hello all; planning Camino September 2016 - I am new to this; I have no idea where to start from, what the best route would be - will only tackle the last 100km at this stage. any advice? I;m in South Africa, are there any other South AFricans doing Camino in september 2016? I was thinking either from France or Spain the last 100km. I believe one must have a pilgrimage passport?

A good starting point would be reading through this section https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/frequently-asked-questions.16/ of the forum. To find other pilgrims from SA you could also contact your own St. James Confraternity http://www.csjofsa.za.org/ and they can also provide you with the pilgrims passport which you will need.

Hope that helps to get you started, SY

I was planning on the fall of 2017, but I'm not sure I can wait that long. So, have revised and am planning on fall of 2016. SJPP to Santiago, hopefully. Time passes too quickly, and 2016 will be here in no time! Looking forward to meeting others and being part of this community!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm going to jump in as well. We had thought of waiting until 2019, when I retire. I just don't think I can wait that long. My wife and I both turn 60 in 2016, so a mid-May start from Saint Jean Pied de Port seems like a good way to celebrate.
Joe
Hey, Joe, what were plans for some time this year, looks now like May is also the time is going to work for us. , I will be 62 , my wife barely 61 lol,

Hey, Joe, what were plans for some time this year, looks now like May is also the time is going to work for us. , I will be 62 , my wife barely 61 lol,
We're currently planning on starting out on May 10 (less than a year away now) out of SJPdP, stopping in Orrison the first night. We expect to take the first few days slowly (breaking in our 60 year-old legs) but arriving in SdC in 35 days overall. Perhaps we will cross paths along the Way.

Buen Camino
Arn
Hello,
I walked the French Way (about 80%) in 2011 and have been wanting to return to the Camino ever since. I am eligible to retire in July of 2016 and am needing motivation to make it through my last year of full time employment. My current plan is to attend language school in Cadiz for about 6 weeks at the end of the summer 2016 and then walk the Via de la Plata after that. Hoping to meet some fellow peregrinos on this forum before I go.
Buen Camino a todos!

So there was me thinking I was the only one getting crazy excited for next year! No dates booked as yet as I had planned to do the St Oswald's Way first, but I've decided that as doing the Camino Ingles will actually be cheaper, this is the first step for me!

I have a number of reasons for wanting to do a Camino, largely to try and reconnect with my Faithm but having seen 'The Path', and 'Pilgrimage with Simon Reeve' the motivation has built massively. I've already done a lot of reading up on various threads on here and I know that you guys will be instrumental to me getting to Santiago De Compostella! Thanks in advance! :D

[QUOTE=" I know that you guys will be instrumental to me getting to Santiago De Compostella! Thanks in advance! :D[/QUOTE]

Best of luck Tim and enjoy your Camino which, as you now know, has already begun! Maybe I will see you out on the way next year.

Buen Camino

Mark

[QUOTE=" My current plan is to attend language school in Cadiz for about 6 weeks at the end of the summer 2016 and then walk the Via de la Plata after that. Hoping to meet some fellow peregrinos on this forum before I go.
Buen Camino a todos![/QUOTE]

Izzy credit to you for having the forethought to take language training - not to mention patience. I found most places spoke enough English I never had a problem but I sure wish I could have spoken a little.

Buen Camino

Mark

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you for opening this thread!

I probably will have to wait until 2016 to make my camino even though when I introduced myself I said that I could be doing the Camino in the Fall of 2015 or Spring of 2016. As much as I'd like to go earlier (love to go earlier) I think 2016 is the time that is most reasonable. I hope my youngest child will be settled away from home a bit more by the Spring of 2016. I think an early spring pilgrimage (as opposed to early summer) is what would suit me best because I prefer to be a bit chilly rather than a bit too hot.

As of right now, my ideal camino, and what I will plan for is a pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela.

-E
Hi, my husband and I are also planning this journey in May of 2016. It's exciting planning this adventure.

I am moving my name to the 2016 class. Had plans to walk it this year with my wife. However , work (me) and school (her) got in the way of those plans. Currently planning on a mid-late September departure from St. Jean or Pamplona.

Class of 2016 checking in with 3 walkers. Look to be starting mid-May 2016, finishing mid-June. Camino Frances. Me (at that time) age 55, my wife, 3 months younger but much prettier, and our daughter, age 21.
UPDATE on our progress, looks most likely that we will be walking Leon to Santiago.

Looks most likely it will be early May 2016.

Not sure if it will include our daughter due to university studies but we are hopeful. She may fly in late and join us for the last 100km? Or she may come to Leon with us and walk from there. Its all dependent upon her schedule and studies. She is only a 2nd year university student at Wake Forest Univeristy, but the school is reclassifying her as a "senior" because she has earned so many credits. She has no plans of finishing college early, rather she is trying to get a double major + a minor (she is easily on track to achieve that) or possibly a triple major, so she wants to get as many classes in as time permits. We try to work our long walks around her schedule so she can participate in as many as possible.

UPDATE on our progress, looks most likely that we will be walking Leon to Santiago.

Not sure if it will include our daughter due to university studies but we are hopeful. She may fly in late and join us for the last 100km? Or she may come to Leon with us and walk from there. Its all dependent upon her schedule and studies. She is only a 2nd year university student at Wake Forest Univeristy, but the school is reclassifying her as a "senior" because she has earned so many credits. She has no plans of finishing college early, rather she is trying to get a double major + a minor (she is easily on track to achieve that) or possibly a triple major, so she wants to get as many classes in as time permits. We try to work our long walks around her schedule so she can participate in as many as possible.
It sounds like you have a busy schedule, since I know you are with her every step of her climb up the academic ladder.
Congratulations on her achievements, you've done well. It would be exciting for her to join even if only a portion of the journey. I wish I had known of this pilgrimage years ago I would have persuaded my sons to take this trip as part of their life experience.

Buen Camino to all!
Hi, I just finished the Camino Frances. The weather was great, had only 1,5 day of rain. But next year good be totally different. Wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter. p.s. and good weather. !!

Buen Camino
Arn
Hi Guys
I intend walking the camino on july /august of 2015 as i have 6 weeks summer holidays then at the moment i am just thinking about the gear to take and starting to train for it im 55 overweight and live a very sedentary life so this will give me a target to aim for

Thanks

John

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Guys
I intend walking the camino on july /august of 2015 as i have 6 weeks summer holidays then at the moment i am just thinking about the gear to take and starting to train for it im 55 overweight and live a very sedentary life so this will give me a target to aim for

Thanks

John
Damn great start i got the year wrong its next year im walking in 2016

:D:D:D:D
Damn great start i got the year wrong its next year im walking in 2016
Welcome to the group. How exciting, we are going in May of 2016. 55 isn't old and you have a year of encouragement to get physically fit for preparation. How exciting. Have you started walking or hiking great distances yet?

:D:D:D:D
Welcome to the group. How exciting, we are going in May of 2016. 55 isn't old and you have a year of encouragement to get physically fit for preparation. How exciting. Have you started walking or hiking great distances yet?

Thanks for the welcome
yes i have started walking about 10 k with a pack but this will be extended after i come back from holiday in July when i will have several weeks to walk every day and to push myself a bit to see what i can manage.
I am looking forward to the Camino and feel that just joining the Forum is like taking the first step on the road.
Where are you and your husband starting from?

John

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for the welcome
yes i have started walking about 10 k with a pack but this will be extended after i come back from holiday in July when i will have several weeks to walk every day and to push myself a bit to see what i can manage.
I am looking forward to the Camino and feel that just joining the Forum is like taking the first step on the road.
Where are you and your husband starting from?

John
That's great. I figure it's not too early to start training for sure. You have me beat though. I have the packs but have t started hiking with them yet but will do so within the next month. We love to hike and as you said, excited for this journey. I've found out a lot from this forum and continue to from those veterans who've exoerienced this before. We are leaving from Saint Jean Piet de Port and going to Finisterre.
Are you traveling alone?

That's great. I figure it's not too early to start training for sure. You have me beat though. I have the packs but have t started hiking with them yet but will do so within the next month. We love to hike and as you said, excited for this journey. I've found out a lot from this forum and continue to from those veterans who've exoerienced this before. We are leaving from Saint Jean Piet de Port and going to Finisterre.
Are you traveling alone?

I will be leaving from Saint Jean as well at least that is the plan at the moment and yes I will be travelling on my own.
I have hovered around this site for some time now looking at the posts and reading up on what I think I need to know but still have a long way to go.
What about yourself are you looking arrears you looking forward to it?

John

I will be leaving from Saint Jean as well at least that is the plan at the moment and yes I will be travelling on my own.
I have hovered around this site for some time now looking at the posts and reading up on what I think I need to know but still have a long way to go.
What about yourself are you looking arrears you looking forward to it?

John
I love the variety of the Camino. From the little villages to the single fruit stand along the way to the lovely architecture of cathedrals etc filled with history. I've watched a lot of you tubes as well and certainly have the passion to go. It sounds therapeutic to share the path with so many others and each is there for their own personal reasons.
We do hike a lot and we love to travel but I've never experienced anything of this caliber. We are planning to stay two nights occasionally in the larger towns to recoupe while we see the local attractions before departing again. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to do this and meet kind people along the way, such as yourself.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have enjoyed a lot of holidays in Spain and have always wanted to see more of the country to find what is beyond the tourist areas but also i find myself becoming more cynical with life in general and less tolerant of faults and behaviour in others.
I think the reason i am going on this walk is to find out more about myself and to lay a few ghosts to rest , to finally see what kind of person i am will i succeed or will i give up.
For me it is a pilgrimage but what lies at the end im not sure , that is why im going to find who i am.

Not sure if it will include our daughter due to university studies...
Well another update. My wife has changed her mind, she wants to take the extra time needed and do the full C.F. Probably now starting in late April?

I have enjoyed a lot of holidays in Spain and have always wanted to see more of the country to find what is beyond the tourist areas but also i find myself becoming more cynical with life in general and less tolerant of faults and behaviour in others.
I think the reason i am going on this walk is to find out more about myself and to lay a few ghosts to rest , to finally see what kind of person i am will i succeed or will i give up.
For me it is a pilgrimage but what lies at the end im not sure , that is why im going to find who i am.
You know what, I could have written the first portion of your message.
I've given great consideration to the reason for this pilgrimage for me. I've considered the purpose of the stone left at the iron cross too. Right off the top of my head I came up with a few obvious "demons"or concerns I need to leave behind. As each day moves forward I reflect on my life and I too have noticed I have picked up a few bad habits. It was gradual but I now realize I am more cynical of others and although I have great passion, that isn't always evident in my actions or speach. I think if I can't be honest with myself then what is the ourpose. For me I need to learn to accept some things that I am unable to change directly. I truly believe we have the ability to make positive influences when we live our lives as we should and I certainly need to focus on my own mistakes, troubles and how I live my life. (I hope that makes sense, it wasn't as eloquently put as yours)

Well another update. My wife has changed her mind, she wants to take the extra time needed and do the full C.F. Probably now starting in late April?
That sounds lovely. I just finished watching a series of you tubes of a couple carrying a 6 month old baby from SJDP to Finistero and enjoyed it. Although they went in January, they expressed what I predict I would feel. They were going to do just a portion of the Camino but realized this opportunity is a gift and they would most likely regret completing it in its entirety. I realize each Camino pilgrimage is personal but I could see myself regretting not finishing it completely. (Aside from any situation arising that may hinder this trip) :eek:

Greetings,
I'm planning on walking the Camino Apr-May 2016.
SJPP-Santiago. I'm planning on giving myself 2 months (maybe longer, if needed.
I'll be the slow one.
I'm excited and really looking forward to my pilgrimage.
HillTrekker (from Oregon)

(This is the second time I have posted this. First being Oct 2013.
Life intervened, but now is the time. 2 years older, but so what!
So I'll be asking all the novice questions.)

Greetings,
I'll be the slow one.

Hi HillTrekker,
I understand about life intervening in your plans.
We plan to take close to 2 months as well. We aren't in a hurry and plan to stay over two nights in a few places.
I'm originally from Oregon but live in California. I go up to Oregon 4-5 times a year to visit family. I really love that state and appreciate more as I grow older.

Hi HillTrekker,
I understand about life intervening in your plans.
We plan to take close to 2 months as well. We aren't in a hurry and plan to stay over two nights in a few places.
I'm originally from Oregon but live in California. I go up to Oregon 4-5 times a year to visit family. I really love that state and appreciate more as I grow older.

Well Delynda,
I'm originally from California, but live in Oregon. :)
Enjoy the preparation process.

Does 2 months sound really slow?

I say do it at your own pace and your own time. Following is one of my most favorite quotes from one of my most favorite men:

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. --- Henry David Thoreau

That is too funny. Yes the process is great fun and intensifies the trip once that exciting date arrives.

I say do it at your own pace and your own time. Following is one of my most favorite quotes from one of my most favorite men:

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. --- Henry David Thoreau

Thank you.
I love that quote.

Hi everyone
either in April or August of 2016 I will find myself in Camino Francés. That is my plan so far.
Camino de Santiago has been in my dreams for 15 years, since a friend asked me to bike the CF with him.
In 2016 I will be walking and most likely will start on my own but look forward to meeting fellow pilgrims along the Camino. And here on this forum :)

I started my first Camino in SJPdP mid-September 2013 and arrived in later October. I started my journey alone and arrived with a full "Family". I tried to blog the trip at:

www.camcamino.com

Now I am set to walk again starting in September 2016. This time will be different, and perhaps in many ways the same. This isn't an attempt to re-create my first Camino....I just feel there is so much more to be found on The Way.
One of my Camino "cousins" was walking the Camino for the second time. He said the second time he was more relaxed and gave an opportunity to appreciate the history and culture in this part of the world.
Once just wasn't enough.

I started my first Camino in SJPdP mid-September 2013 and arrived in later October. I started my journey alone and arrived with a full "Family". I tried to blog the trip at:

www.camcamino.com

Now I am set to walk again starting in September 2016. This time will be different, and perhaps in many ways the same. This isn't an attempt to re-create my first Camino....I just feel there is so much more to be found on The Way.
One of my Camino "cousins" was walking the Camino for the second time. He said the second time he was more relaxed and gave an opportunity to appreciate the history and culture in this part of the world.
Once just wasn't enough.
Hi Cam1952,
I have read from people who have felt just as you do. I have yet to experience my first pilgrimage but from what i've learned, I can certainly see where once wouldn't be enough. I have traveled quite a bit and have the travel bug myself. (Not bed bugs... snicker) I liked how you said you expect this journey to be different then the last. I must say it is also appealing to me while visiting with the locals along the way in addition to the experience of making new friends as we all are there for our own personal reasons but yet share a common bond.

Hi everyone
either in April or August of 2016 I will find myself in Camino Francés. That is my plan so far.
Camino de Santiago has been in my dreams for 15 years, since a friend asked me to bike the CF with him.
In 2016 I will be walking and most likely will start on my own but look forward to meeting fellow pilgrims along the Camino. And here on this forum :)
Hola Minea,
I have just learned of the Camino within the last year but it quickly was put to the first of my list of travels. The more I read about it, the more excited I become. I can only imagine what it must have been like anticipating this trek for that long.
:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Cam1952,
I have read from people who have felt just as you do. I have yet to experience my first pilgrimage but from what i've learned, I can certainly see where once wouldn't be enough. I have traveled quite a bit and have the travel bug myself. (Not bed bugs... snicker) I liked how you said you expect this journey to be different then the last. I must say it is also appealing to me while visiting with the locals along the way in addition to the experience of making new friends as we all are there for our own personal reasons but yet share a common bond.

Hi Delynda;
I am very confident to say you and your husband will find a world to explore on your Camino. Being open to the experiences and people you will certainly meet are sure to enrich your experience. I felt the general politeness and mutual respect was reminiscent of the 50's when I was much younger. People are polite and willing to help.
On the other hand, I have seen rude and disrespectful pilgrims given a "rude lesson" by a local. (This made me smile for quite a few days)
Enjoy every day of your Camino........
All the best.
As Always..... Cam'.

Hi Delynda;
I am very confident to say you and your husband will find a world to explore on your Camino. Being open to the experiences and people you will certainly meet are sure to enrich your experience. I felt the general politeness and mutual respect was reminiscent of the 50's when I was much younger. People are polite and willing to help.
On the other hand, I have seen rude and disrespectful pilgrims given a "rude lesson" by a local. (This made me smile for quite a few days)
Enjoy every day of your Camino........
All the best.
As Always..... Cam'.
Hi Cam,
Well if there's one thing we have noticed is there are always those that are rude. It's such a shame because it's such a great opportunity to see the best of everyone. I'd also have to smile to see someone served a lesson for their rudeness. Do you mean the locals let them know rudeness won't be tolerated?
Btw, we watched your Camino Experiemce and gleaned a lot from it as well as laughed your sense of humor is brilliant. I hope you video your future venture as well. It was great to read.

At least one woman wasn't going to let a small group of pilgrims poor behaviour pass without her offering corrective advice.
Many thanks for you incredibly kind words.
Stay well and I'll be watching for your "blog".
C

Greetings,
I'll be the slow one.

Hello, you will enjoy it. You have 2 months that is great. I walked for 37 day's and it was wonderful. It was a journey I never will forget. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Buen Camino
Arn
HI William my wife and i will leave out of san francisco and start our camino 4-27 16 from Pamplona thanks to all for all the great info buen camino

HI William my wife and i will leave out of san francisco and start our camino 4-27 16 from Pamplona thanks to all for all the great info buen camino

My friends and I will be leaving from SFO at about the same time. We are starting our camino in St Jean PDP. Maybe we'll see you on the way over.

My friends and I will be leaving from SFO at about the same time. We are starting our camino in St Jean PDP. Maybe we'll see you on the way over.
yes mom we will listen for you we are planning and will start looking for gear soon and walking more this is half the fun! buen camino

Before we set off this year for Santiago we said that it would be our last Camino. We had thought about walking the Salvador in 2016 but have decided that we will not be doing so. This is partly because we want to see places along the Norte and Primitivo that were too far to make detours to visit (for us), partly because we are finding it harder to carry all we need in our packs and finally decided by our visit this year to the cathedral in Oviedo. Having to pay to enter the cathedral is not how we would want to end our mini-pilgrimage. The girl at the desk was quite clear that even as pilgrims we would have had to pay, even just to go in to pray. So sadly we decided that the Salvador is not for us, and having received a sello went on our way to Ribadeo to start this year's Camino. (Since returning home we see that the Oviedo cathedral website says that entry to pray is free, maybe the system is so new that the girl on the desk didn't know that).
So next year it is the car and some walking as 'touri-peregrinos' - tourists with the hearts of pilgrims.
Buen Camino to all walking in 2016

€46,-
Returning after walking CF in 2013 and 2014 I am starting to plan September 2016 to miss the heat of Summer even though it still is hot, 2016 will see me start in Barcelona and join the Ruta del Elbro and meet up with the CF at Logrono and continue along the CF to Santiago. Will probably start around the 2nd or 3rd depends on flights from Australia. Anyone walking along this route?
Trevor

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.