• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Class of 2016

Hi there! We're from Seattle - and will be starting our Camino in Sept 2016 as well! It'll be nice to have some neighbors on the Camino as well!

Hi there

Myself and my other half are planning to start beginning of September 2016.

Cant wait, however we are not from Seattle :( We live in Lancaster England, however I am a fan of Nirvana

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there

Myself and my other half are planning to start beginning of September 2016.

Cant wait, however we are not from Seattle :( We live in Lancaster England, however I am a fan of Nirvana
Hello, wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Returning after walking CF in 2013 and 2014 I am starting to plan September 2016 to miss the heat of Summer even though it still is hot, 2016 will see me start in Barcelona and join the Ruta del Elbro and meet up with the CF at Logrono and continue along the CF to Santiago. Will probably start around the 2nd or 3rd depends on flights from Australia. Anyone walking along this route?
Trevor

Trevorcc .. I started a list of Sept/Oct 2016 Pilgrims here if you would like your start date posted ..
Joe
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ptember-october-peregrinos.34659/#post-317612

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I started my first Camino in SJPdP mid-September 2013 and arrived in later October. I started my journey alone and arrived with a full "Family". I tried to blog the trip at:

www.camcamino.com

Now I am set to walk again starting in September 2016. This time will be different, and perhaps in many ways the same. This isn't an attempt to re-create my first Camino....I just feel there is so much more to be found on The Way.
One of my Camino "cousins" was walking the Camino for the second time. He said the second time he was more relaxed and gave an opportunity to appreciate the history and culture in this part of the world.
Once just wasn't enough.

Hi Cam .. I start in Sept 2016 too. If interested I have a Sept/October Pilgrims List here if you would like to see who is joining us :)
Joe
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ptember-october-peregrinos.34659/#post-317612

Hello to everyone!!! My name is Nina and I will be walking my first Camino next year, 2016! Still undecided as to what month, having trouble deciding between May or September. Going to be starting the big 3-0 off in a great way, very excited to find this website and start my journey :)

Hi Ninamarie486 . I start in Sept 2016. If you decide on September and if interested I have a Sept/October Pilgrims List here if you would like to see who is joining us :)
Joe

Hi Cam .. I start in Sept 2016 too. If interested I have a Sept/October Pilgrims List here if you would like to see who is joining us :)
Joe
Hi Joe;
Many thanks for your kind invitation. I did see your posting and will be signing up to be sure. At this point I have to yet set my actual departure date from SJPdP but I am hoping to leave the week of September 5th.......
I will be there and will sign in. (....or should I sign up and change my date when finalized?)
Stay well.
As Always..... Cam'.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I will be experiencing the Camino with a friend in the Spring of 2016. This forum is a wealth of information... much appreciated! Any input on the weather in mid April thru mid May?
Buen Camino to all!
Hi Nomadko, I am planning to do my first camino (St Jean to Santiago) in 2016 and would like to have someone to walk the first few days with. I plan to leave St Jean somewhere around the third week of April but am flexible at this point. I have recently spoken with someone who walked this year, leaving St Jean on the the 5th April and the weather was not good, a bit early maybe?

I am happy for anyone else travelling around that time to join this conversation. This is my first comment on this forum so doubles as my introduction, I am Cathy from Perth, Western Australia.

Greetings! This is my first post and have I have to say I have enjoyed reading many of the posts on this fabulous site. I plan to start from SJPP near the end of September 2016. I have about six weeks and hope to complete in that time frame. So far I will be traveling alone..still have time to convince a few friends...but so far going solo! I come from SUNRIVER Oregon! Hope to meet up with some of you while there and to pick your brain up until departure time!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Greetings! This is my first post and have I have to say I have enjoyed reading many of the posts on this fabulous site. I plan to start from SJPP near the end of September 2016. I have about six weeks and hope to complete in that time frame. So far I will be traveling alone..still have time to convince a few friends...but so far going solo! I come from SUNRIVER Oregon! Hope to meet up with some of you while there and to pick your brain up until departure time!
Hello and welcome.
We are planning to begin our pilgrimage April 2016. As you are, we are extremely excited and reading this site and many books and blogs are part of the fun in preparation.
I am from Oregon City, Oregon myself but now live in Southern California.

Hola Minea,
I have just learned of the Camino within the last year but it quickly was put to the first of my list of travels. The more I read about it, the more excited I become. I can only imagine what it must have been like anticipating this trek for that long.
:)
Hola Delynda, it's an amazing opportunity to take this Camino. So glad that you found out about it and are on the journey.
What took me so long was that I was in my 30's, a busy bee with little time to even stop and ponder where to go, so I went with the flow. Now, sometimes feel I'm swimming against the flow but it's been very rewarding so far. Just yesterday got back from the Finnish Holy trails. There in Savonia I took the first steps of my Camino :)

Just re-read this thread and reading all your introductions made me really happy to be part of the Camino people. I love the enthusiasm of many posters! It is very contagious and I feel as my Camino has now started, along the Finnish Holy trails this week.
I'm still a bit wary, not many people know about my plan. But my doc knows and he thinks my plan is realistic and doable. I have thyroid problems, muscle and joint aches bother me the most. Steady and slow is the way to go at the moment.

My new plan for 2016 is to take +-10 days off after Easter and walk a short version of CF, 120 kms or so. (And then Finisterre if schedule allows.)
Then, if everything goes ok in April, to return in August-September and start from Saint-Jean-P-d-P and walk as far as I can. Depending on how many days off I can take in Aug-Sept, but ojalá, I'll walk to Santiago de Compostela twice next year.

Hello and welcome.
We are planning to begin our pilgrimage April 2016. As you are, we are extremely excited and reading this site and many books and blogs are part of the fun in preparation.
I am from Oregon City, Oregon myself but now live in Southern California.

Hi Delynda, I too am planning to begin my Camino in April 2016. Wil you be starting in St Jean? This has been on my 'must do' list for eight years and now the time has come. Do you have a start date yet, I am thinking around the third week after speaking with someone who started on the 5th April this year and found the weather was still a little challenging then. I will be travelling alone and would be pleased to know there is someone else out there at the same time.

Cathy from Perth, Western Australia

Hi Cathy,
It looks like we will be leaving SJDP March 17 now. We decided to move our plans up partly due to the more bearable weather and planning to enjoy the festivities during Holy week.
I understand this year the heat has been unseasonably hot more so than in the past.
I am so impressed to hear you are experiencing this journey on your own. If you decide to leave sooner please keep me posted. I think it would be great fun to meet up with someone I am getting to know.
I must say I only learned of this Camino about a year ago and have been infatuated with it ever since. I stumbled upon this forum and have just been consumed with the experience. Have you started your packing gear yet? I think it's so much fun preparing for this amazing adventure.

Just re-read this thread and reading all your introductions made me really happy to be part of the Camino people. I love the enthusiasm of many posters! It is very contagious and I feel as my Camino has now started, along the Finnish Holy trails this week.
I'm still a bit wary, not many people know about my plan. But my doc knows and he thinks my plan is realistic and doable. I have thyroid problems, muscle and joint aches bother me the most. Steady and slow is the way to go at the moment.

My new plan for 2016 is to take +-10 days off after Easter and walk a short version of CF, 120 kms or so. (And then Finisterre if schedule allows.)
Then, if everything goes ok in April, to return in August-September and start from Saint-Jean-P-d-P and walk as far as I can. Depending on how many days off I can take in Aug-Sept, but ojalá, I'll walk to Santiago de Compostela twice next year.
Wow Minea,
You are so ambitious yourself. I think it's fantastic you plan to walk so much.
I understand how "life" tends to get in the way and plans move further down the list. I am in my early 50's and thanks to my husband I able to be retired.
We are planning to begin our journey earlier to experience Holy Week just before Easter.

Hi Cathy,
It looks like we will be leaving SJDP March 17 now. We decided to move our plans up partly due to the more bearable weather and planning to enjoy the festivities during Holy week.
I understand this year the heat has been unseasonably hot more so than in the past.
I am so impressed to hear you are experiencing this journey on your own. If you decide to leave sooner please keep me posted. I think it would be great fun to meet up with someone I am getting to know.
I must say I only learned of this Camino about a year ago and have been infatuated with it ever since. I stumbled upon this forum and have just been consumed with the experience. Have you started your packing gear yet? I think it's so much fun preparing for this amazing adventure.

Hi Delynda, thanks for replying, that's pretty good timing for me. Have you booked any of your travel yet? Where do you plan to fly into?

My introduction to the Camino was eight years ago when I was given a book to read in a book club. When we all met after reading the book most of the group said they didn't enjoy it and I was thinking 'I've GOT to do this'! My husband was going to do this with me but we have put it off due to life, work commitments, etc, etc and now his health is going to prevent him going so I've decided to do it while I can. I also feel deep down that I will get a better 'Camimo experience' on my own. More challenges but maybe more rewards too :)
I agree, it really would be nice to meet up with someone who has the same enthusiasm.
I have just started getting some of my kit together. I have bought an Osprey Cirrus 36L women's fit backpack (probably a bit bigger than needed but I'm trying to get things that I can use again and this only weighs 1.27kg and has built in rain cover. I have also bought my boots - Oboz Bridger - and so far no complaints. I read a lot of reviews for everything I have bought and a consistent comment for these boots was little or no break in and I would have to agree that they were pretty comfortable from day one. Received my rain jacket via Amazon yesterday - Exofficio Rain Logic - and also bought Injinji toe socks to try. I walked in them today and found them comfortable, the theory is that they prevent friction between your toes so no need to tape. I have also been looking at the Sea to Summit Traveller TR1 sleeping bag (400g). I would like to stay under 6kg total weight. How about you? Bought anything yet?

I have always walked for exercise but have now started doing longer distances, finding some hills and often take my pack with weight in it. I also do Pilates which is great for core strength. You mentioned above that you are early 50's, I will be 54 in a couple of months.

My husband I plan to do our first camino in September of 2016. We will be doing the Camino Frances. We will be in our early 50's.

We are from the interior of British Columbia, Canada. We are just waiting for our youngest to start university. We will get our kids settled in their respective schools and then off to do our camino!

We are already doing lots of hiking and walking, packs are bought and slowly gathering our other supplies. I have downloaded the DUOLINGO app onto my phone, committing to at least 10 minutes a day (which will add up in the next 700 days). My husband is reading the Brierly guide......he is the the planner :)

We are quite excited as the camino will represent a transition into a new phase of our life!

HI jdbp2016! .. I started a list of us Peregrinos that are walking in Sept/Oct 2016 .. let me know if I should add you to this list
here's the link
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ptember-october-peregrinos.34659/#post-317892

Hi Delynda, thanks for replying, that's pretty good timing for me. Have you booked any of your travel yet? Where do you plan to fly into?

My introduction to the Camino was eight years ago when I was given a book to read in a book club. When we all met after reading the book most of the group said they didn't enjoy it and I was thinking 'I've GOT to do this'! My husband was going to do this with me but we have put it off due to life, work commitments, etc, etc and now his health is going to prevent him going so I've decided to do it while I can. I also feel deep down that I will get a better 'Camimo experience' on my own. More challenges but maybe more rewards too :)
I agree, it really would be nice to meet up with someone who has the same enthusiasm.
I have just started getting some of my kit together. I have bought an Osprey Cirrus 36L women's fit backpack (probably a bit bigger than needed but I'm trying to get things that I can use again and this only weighs 1.27kg and has built in rain cover. I have also bought my boots - Oboz Bridger - and so far no complaints. I read a lot of reviews for everything I have bought and a consistent comment for these boots was little or no break in and I would have to agree that they were pretty comfortable from day one. Received my rain jacket via Amazon yesterday - Exofficio Rain Logic - and also bought Injinji toe socks to try. I walked in them today and found them comfortable, the theory is that they prevent friction between your toes so no need to tape. I have also been looking at the Sea to Summit Traveller TR1 sleeping bag (400g). I would like to stay under 6kg total weight. How about you? Bought anything yet?

I have always walked for exercise but have now started doing longer distances, finding some hills and often take my pack with weight in it. I also do Pilates which is great for core strength. You mentioned above that you are early 50's, I will be 54 in a couple of months.

Hi Cathy,
Would you happen to remember what book that was that peaked your interest? I love to read and am always looking for a good book to consume me.
I'm so sorry to hear your husband's health won't allow him to experience this journey with you. I do find it amazing how many women do this on their own and I complete respect for you doing this.
I will be 53 and my husband will be 66 but we also stay pretty active and hike as often as we can. I have been sharing all my new information and finds about the Camino with my 83 year old mother. Between watching and reading my Facebook page with links of pilgrims on this journey and listening to me, I believe she is as excited as I am. She will be taking this pilgrimage with me in spirit. I am so intrigued with the deep history of the pilgrimage, architecture and the religious values this offers. I am constantly searching for more information.
Our packs are the Osprey Exos 38. They are unisex and after purchasing a few different models I found this one was perfectly suited for me. They have such a great selection and surely something for everyone.
The only things we don't have yet are the boots but I am very interested in your socks. I had never heard of them before and immediately started searching for them. I don't know how I didn't know about them before but thank you for sharing. I am extremely interested and found where I could buy them.
We even purchased a set of walking sticks which neither of us had ever used before but thought it would be a good thing to have. If we aren't using them, they are light enough to stow away compactly in our packs.
We also purchased a cross between a rain poncho and a jacket. It has a hood, sleeves and fits over the packs. I'm hoping it will work well. Apparently that time of year rain should be expected and we certainly want to be prepared for anything.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Cathy,
Would you happen to remember what book that was that peaked your interest? I love to read and am always looking for a good book to consume me.
I'm so sorry to hear your husband's health won't allow him to experience this journey with you. I do find it amazing how many women do this on their own and I complete respect for you doing this.
I will be 53 and my husband will be 66 but we also stay pretty active and hike as often as we can. I have been sharing all my new information and finds about the Camino with my 83 year old mother. Between watching and reading my Facebook page with links of pilgrims on this journey and listening to me, I believe she is as excited as I am. She will be taking this pilgrimage with me in spirit. I am so intrigued with the deep history of the pilgrimage, architecture and the religious values this offers. I am constantly searching for more information.
Our packs are the Osprey Exos 38. They are unisex and after purchasing a few different models I found this one was perfectly suited for me. They have such a great selection and surely something for everyone.
The only things we don't have yet are the boots but I am very interested in your socks. I had never heard of them before and immediately started searching for them. I don't know how I didn't know about them before but thank you for sharing. I am extremely interested and found where I could buy them.
We even purchased a set of walking sticks which neither of us had ever used before but thought it would be a good thing to have. If we aren't using them, they are light enough to stow away compactly in our packs.
We also purchased a cross between a rain poncho and a jacket. It has a hood, sleeves and fits over the packs. I'm hoping it will work well. Apparently that time of year rain should be expected and we certainly want to be prepared for anything.
Hi Cathy,

Hi Delynda,

well, I have just realised that I didn't read your first reply properly and when I saw the 17th was thinking April despite it clearly reading March!! Anyway, that aside it is nice to share with you. The socks come in different weights but the ones I bought are the Outdoor 2.0 Midweight Crew NuWool. The book that started my journey is The Year We Seized the Day by Colin Bowles and Elizabeth Best. It's a very easy and humorous read. I have been researching walking poles and will get some, there are too many comments about how much they help to ignore them. I am heading out for a walk to my Mum's today which is 24km, will wear my boots, socks (will let you know how they go) and take my pack. Likewise, Mum is very interested in this (but also a little worried as mothers can be). There are so many posts for people walking in September and almost none for April. I don't have any restrictions as to when I can go but am worried it may be too cold going over the Pyrenees in March, have you looked at conditions at that time?

Hi Delynda,
There are so many posts for people walking in September and almost none for April. I don't have any restrictions as to when I can go but am worried it may be too cold going over the Pyrenees in March, have you looked at conditions at that time?
If I make it, it will be early April. I've read what people say in forums, looked at historical weather charts etc. From all I've seen, it will definitely be chilly, but completely unpredictable as to conditions otherwise - i.e. sun, cloud, wind, rain, snow. The Valcarlos route seems to be mostly open, but the Napoleon route not so much. Like you I could pick my time and opted for just after Easter, which is late March next year. Main motivation to dodge the hottest weather and the most crowded times yet some chance of ok weather for Napoleon. Also it's spring and the start of the season, so everything should be open.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I make it, it will be early April. I've read what people say in forums, looked at historical weather charts etc. From all I've seen, it will definitely be chilly, but completely unpredictable as to conditions otherwise - i.e. sun, cloud, wind, rain, snow. The Valcarlos route seems to be mostly open, but the Napoleon route not so much. Like you I could pick my time and opted for just after Easter, which is late March next year. Main motivation to dodge the hottest weather and the most crowded times yet some chance of ok weather for Napoleon. Also it's spring and the start of the season, so everything should be open.
Hi Lachance, sounds like we are thinking the same way. I'd rather walk in cool weather than hot but would really like to do the Napoleon if possible. Are you travelling alone? I don't have any problem with walking alone, just think it would be comforting to have someone nearby for the first bit, don't want to get lost!! Spoke to someone here who started on the 5th April this year and said they couldn't even see the markers for fog. However, I know that can occur any time and maybe the next day was ok? I'm in training, have just done a 28km walk and am now enjoying a medicinal glass of red!

Hi Delynda, well after 28km today my feet feel pretty good. One small toe a bit tender but otherwise good so you might want to try the socks. Cathy

Hi Lachance, sounds like we are thinking the same way. I'd rather walk in cool weather than hot but would really like to do the Napoleon if possible. Are you travelling alone? I don't have any problem with walking alone, just think it would be comforting to have someone nearby for the first bit, don't want to get lost!! Spoke to someone here who started on the 5th April this year and said they couldn't even see the markers for fog. However, I know that can occur any time and maybe the next day was ok? I'm in training, have just done a 28km walk and am now enjoying a medicinal glass of red!
Hi Cathy,
Yep I'm solo, but only 50/50 on getting there. 12k's is my pb so far, no pack, so you're way ahead. I spoke to someone in March, he said it was 10C, nice walking weather, but Napoleon was closed. It's a lottery. From what they say here, you'll have no probs finding a walking partner in St Jean. My Fri night meds have started too, chardie aquĂ­.

Deb

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So excited to be able to join the Class of 2016!
I realised I could not wait to start my Camino until I am due to retire in 2023 (even if I can afford to!).
So I booked a cheap flight to Bilbao for 27th April, returning a week later.
I shall celebrate my 59th birthday walking between Larrasoana and Pamplona, and if anyone is in Pamplona on the 30th please join me for a drink!
I think I shall begin at Roncesvalles and walk 10-15k a day aiming to reach Puente del Reina. I REALLY want to get to Alto del Perdon, the hill of forgiveness, where the path of the wind crosses that of the stars. I don't know why, but I aim to get at least that far.
I have an assortment of issues with my back, hips, knees, ankles and feet, so feel a daily 10-15k will be plenty enough for me, and will give me a good idea of how to plan my further expeditions to the Camino.
I am hoping to find simplicity and serenity.
Buen Camino everyone. I am happy to have found this forum.

Last edited:
May see you en route, Thom. Starting a week or so earlier, mid-March.Cheaper flights!! Funny how the 'pressure' builds. First shoes. several shops. Questions. confusing info. This Forum is great. All your questions and loads you never thought of, answered. Then last weekend I bought the backpack. Oops, what have I done? Then last night my first longer (dare I say, Training?) walk with the dogs. It begins to feel real. I had cancer surgery in 2013, my wife had surgery in 2014 and again this year (she's doing great) & I retired. So I'm ready to go. I reckon 5/6 weeks on my own will recharge the batteries and get this 'thing' out of my system.
I'm Catholic, so trying to get back into a spiritual groove is good. A decent long meditation space, perhaps. Also looking forward to meeting all you folks from different countries and backgrounds. God bless.
Buen Camino

Hi , the 6 weeks you have must be o.k. You will begin your journey alone but after "10 mtr.";) you are not alone anymore . Wish you a journey off a lifetime , Buen Camino , Peter .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
May see you en route, Thom. Starting a week or so earlier, mid-March.Cheaper flights!! Funny how the 'pressure' builds. First shoes. several shops. Questions. confusing info. This Forum is great. All your questions and loads you never thought of, answered. Then last weekend I bought the backpack. Oops, what have I done? Then last night my first longer (dare I say, Training?) walk with the dogs. It begins to feel real. I had cancer surgery in 2013, my wife had surgery in 2014 and again this year (she's doing great) & I retired. So I'm ready to go. I reckon 5/6 weeks on my own will recharge the batteries and get this 'thing' out of my system.
I'm Catholic, so trying to get back into a spiritual groove is good. A decent long meditation space, perhaps. Also looking forward to meeting all you folks from different countries and backgrounds. God bless.
Buen Camino

Buen Camino! I'll be the guy with the Aarn bodypack with the forum patch. We're going to be taking it slow, so we might not catch up with you - but you never know on the Camino!

I read on one thread here today: "Walk slow into your Camino". How slow can you go?

i'm planning on an early April start date. i have boots. haven't figured out a pack yet. i plan to walk in medieval clothes. yeah, i'm a little nuts. i'm a bit worried about my speed. i've been walking for several months and can't seem to get above 2.5 miles an hour without a pack. oh well, i'll get by. i'm doing as light of packing as i can. but walking almost 3 miles in the rain recently made me conclude modern rain gear was a must.

i'm so ready for april. and not.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
i'm planning on an early April start date. i have boots. haven't figured out a pack yet. i plan to walk in medieval clothes. yeah, i'm a little nuts. i'm a bit worried about my speed. i've been walking for several months and can't seem to get above 2.5 miles an hour without a pack. oh well, i'll get by. i'm doing as light of packing as i can. but walking almost 3 miles in the rain recently made me conclude modern rain gear was a must.

i'm so ready for april. and not.

Your walking speed is 4km/hour, which is pretty much exactly what we did. Oh, I walked a little faster in the morning and a little slower in the afternoon, but it all evened out to 4kph.

So you'll do fine.

Medieval clothes, on the other hand, sound uncomfortable and warm to me.

I read on one thread here today: "Walk slow into your Camino". How slow can you go?

For me at least, it's not about walking slower per se; it's about taking time to explore the churches, monasteries, towns and remembering to rest and take occasional days off.

i find medieval clothes to be comfortable and cool. i wear them for two weeks every august in pennsylvania where the weather often tops 100.

i find medieval clothes to be comfortable and cool. i wear them for two weeks every august in pennsylvania where the weather often tops 100.

The important thing is that it works for you!

Have you done any distance hikes in them with pack?

i haven't yet, but i am planning on it this summer. i have walked with a mid-weight bag.

Last edited:
Greetings,
I'm planning on walking the Camino Apr-May 2016.
SJPP-Santiago. I'm planning on giving myself 2 months (maybe longer, if needed.
I'll be the slow one.
I'm excited and really looking forward to my pilgrimage.
HillTrekker (from Oregon)

(This is the second time I have posted this. First being Oct 2013.
Life intervened, but now is the time. 2 years older, but so what!
So I'll be asking all the novice questions.)
You won't be the only 'slow one'! We will be right there too! What's the rush anyway :)
Buen Camino!

Hi Nomadko, I am planning to do my first camino (St Jean to Santiago) in 2016 and would like to have someone to walk the first few days with. I plan to leave St Jean somewhere around the third week of April but am flexible at this point. I have recently spoken with someone who walked this year, leaving St Jean on the the 5th April and the weather was not good, a bit early maybe?

I am happy for anyone else travelling around that time to join this conversation. This is my first comment on this forum so doubles as my introduction, I am Cathy from Perth, Western Australia.
Hi there! First let me say... Buen Camino!
We are planning to arrive in Pamplona around the 3rd week in March, 2016. We'd much rather deal with the cold than the heat... hence the reason for choosing March as our departure date. Maybe we'll see you along the way... we'll be the 2 tortoises walking to the beat of our own drums (translation... our own bodies!)

Hi there! First let me say... Buen Camino!
We are planning to arrive in Pamplona around the 3rd week in March, 2016. We'd much rather deal with the cold than the heat... hence the reason for choosing March as our departure date. Maybe we'll see you along the way... we'll be the 2 tortoises walking to the beat of our own drums (translation... our own bodies!)
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Newbie on the forum but 2nd time on Camino is in planning for 2016. Did the opposite of DeadFred - DH walked w me thru Pyrenees to Roncesvalles then he went home for a month. Met me again in Portomarin and we walked a bit together. He taxied the last few days - not a walker.

Not sure how we'll do it in the Spring... Rumors of a rental car for him and new trail shoes for me

Hi, I've been enjoying the many posts of experienced and new pilgrims. I plan to set off in September, possibly accompanied by family. Have only just started the research and planning, so a long way to go. Learning so much from this forum. Many thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I've been enjoying the many posts of experienced and new pilgrims. I plan to set off in September, possibly accompanied by family. Have only just started the research and planning, so a long way to go. Learning so much from this forum. Many thanks
Hi and welcome to this wonderful forum. You can find the answers you want to know here. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Newbie on the forum but 2nd time on Camino is in planning for 2016. Did the opposite of DeadFred - DH walked w me thru Pyrenees to Roncesvalles then he went home for a month. Met me again in Portomarin and we walked a bit together. He taxied the last few days - not a walker.

Not sure how we'll do it in the Spring... Rumors of a rental car for him and new trail shoes for me
Hi and welcome, wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Hi there... we will be heading to Pamplona around the 18th of March 2016. We'll be the 2 snails on the Camino Frances :) Buen Camino!

Hi there... we will be heading to Pamplona around the 18th of March 2016. We'll be the 2 snails on the Camino Frances :) Buen Camino!
Are you going through to Santiago? How long are you allowing? Maybe I will catch up to you somewhere near the end :)

I am going to get a forum badge for my backpack so hopefully will get to meet some of the people from this forum.

Are you going through to Santiago? How long are you allowing? Maybe I will catch up to you somewhere near the end :)

I am going to get a forum badge for my backpack so hopefully will get to meet some of the people from this forum.
We'll be walking to Santiago and are allowing 40-45 days... not in any rush :)
We have Camino badges for our backpacks also.. so we'll keep an eye our for you.
Have a safe and marvelous Camino!

Walked the CF this May - June, having started in Roncesvalles. Plan on doing the same next year, leaving Roncesvalles on 5 October, provided God continues to bless me with reasonably good health.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My husband, Erik, and I plan to walk the Camino in May 2016. He's 65 and already retired - I am 55 and plan to retire (from teaching) on March 31. We will head to Europe in mid-April and tour around a bit, then start the Camino in SJPDP in early May. We've been thinking about, talking about, and planning this trip for a long time. We can't wait! Looking forward to reading more info on these forums.

~Barb

My husband, Erik, and I plan to walk the Camino in May 2016. He's 65 and already retired - I am 55 and plan to retire (from teaching) on March 31. We will head to Europe in mid-April and tour around a bit, then start the Camino in SJPDP in early May. We've been thinking about, talking about, and planning this trip for a long time. We can't wait! Looking forward to reading more info on these forums.

~Barb
Hi Barb, you will enjoy it. Meeting pilgrims from all over the place and making friends for live, I did.
I wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello !
I have just booked my flight from SYD to BIQ for May 2016. I plan to start walking from SJPDP on 5th of May.
I am looking forward to meeting up with some of you who will be walking around the same time.
I cant wait to start. !!
Julie
Hi Julie, wish you well and you will meet lots of other pilgrims along the way.
Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

Welcome @Kelownagurl (Barb) to the forum. What a great start to retirement - although a mistaken word, I think. Life just gets busier, but maybe also more fun!

€149,-
Hi Class of 2016! I will be starting the journey mid March, going solo. I have already been using this forum to gather some great ideas...looking forward to planning over the next months and meeting some of you on the Camino!

Welcome Mary and AusShelley!

Escaping Aussie winter sounds like a good plan... freezing in Canberra at the moment! :D

So excited to be able to join the Class of 2016!
I realised I could not wait to start my Camino until I am due to retire in 2023 (even if I can afford to!).
So I booked a cheap flight to Bilbao for 27th April, returning a week later.
I shall celebrate my 59th birthday walking between Larrasoana and Pamplona, and if anyone is in Pamplona on the 30th please join me for a drink!
I think I shall begin at Roncesvalles and walk 10-15k a day aiming to reach Puente del Reina. I REALLY want to get to Alto del Perdon, the hill of forgiveness, where the path of the wind crosses that of the stars. I don't know why, but I aim to get at least that far.
I have an assortment of issues with my back, hips, knees, ankles and feet, so feel a daily 10-15k will be plenty enough for me, and will give me a good idea of how to plan my further expeditions to the Camino.
I am hoping to find simplicity and serenity.
Buen Camino everyone. I am happy to have found this forum.

Hello julia-t,
I'm unsure what you mean by your back,hip, knee, ankle and foot issues, and please forgive me for referring to them. However, I wonder if you have seen the information about pack/baggage transport that may make your Camino more enjoyable for you.
Simplicity and serenity lie before you waiting for you to arrive.
Buen Camino

Hi Class of 2016! I will be starting the journey mid March, going solo. I have already been using this forum to gather some great ideas...looking forward to planning over the next months and meeting some of you on the Camino!
Hi Mary , witch route will you take agros the Pyrenees . Could still be lots off snow up there. And the Napoleon route will be closed till the 1 of April. Than you have to take the Valcarlos route. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hello julia-t,
I'm unsure what you mean by your back,hip, knee, ankle and foot issues, and please forgive me for referring to them. However, I wonder if you have seen the information about pack/baggage transport that may make your Camino more enjoyable for you.
Simplicity and serenity lie before you waiting for you to arrive.
Buen Camino

Thank you John for your post. Yes, I am going to use the baggage transport most of the time.

But in fact since I wrote the above, I am also going to join the Class of 2015! I have a week's holiday to take in September and with nothing else to do except watch boxsets (boring) or paint the spare room (boring) I bought a cheap flight to Bilbao and am going to start in 6 weeks time! Just 6 days walking - slowly...

I don't have serious problems, just sciatica from a slightly-bulging disc, plantar fasciitis, sprained ankle ligaments which still give me trouble, and knees getting scrunchy as I get older! Individually each ailment is perfectly cope-able with, but combined they slow me down. But they won't stop me!

Thank you John for your post. Yes, I am going to use the baggage transport most of the time.

But in fact since I wrote the above, I am also going to join the Class of 2015! I have a week's holiday to take in September and with nothing else to do except watch boxsets (boring) or paint the spare room (boring) I bought a cheap flight to Bilbao and am going to start in 6 weeks time! Just 6 days walking - slowly...

I don't have serious problems, just sciatica from a slightly-bulging disc, plantar fasciitis, sprained ankle ligaments which still give me trouble, and knees getting scrunchy as I get older! Individually each ailment is perfectly cope-able with, but combined they slow me down. But they won't stop me!

Loving your answer
Buen Camino

Hi Mary , witch route will you take agros the Pyrenees . Could still be lots off snow up there. And the Napoleon route will be closed till the 1 of April. Than you have to take the Valcarlos route. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.
Thanks Peter! How are the views on the Valcarlos? Still an interesting walk?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The alternate route is hardly second best! The views are fine!

02Valcarlos_view.jpg

from Valcarlos municipal albergue, 16/10/2012​

Last edited:
We just booked our tickets from California to Madrid for April 2016. We now need to figure out how to get from the airport in Madrid to St Jean Pied de Port. I'm guessing it will take a day to get there - especially since we will arrive near midnight. (I'm guessing busses and trains will not be up and running at that hour.) Does anyone know of any tricks to get there?

We just booked our tickets from California to Madrid for April 2016. We now need to figure out how to get from the airport in Madrid to St Jean Pied de Port. I'm guessing it will take a day to get there - especially since we will arrive near midnight. (I'm guessing busses and trains will not be up and running at that hour.) Does anyone know of any tricks to get there?

Check out this earlier Forum thread re travel from Madrid to SJPdP.

Happy research and Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola todos,

About 43 years ago, at age 17, I hitchhiked all around Spain. I would put out my thumb and, when somebody stopped to pick me up and asked where I was headed, I would respond, "I don't know. Do you have ideas about interesting places this direction that I should see?" I saw so many amazing parts of the country, tasted all the best wines, met so many wonderful people those few months. So while heading northwest, my driver tried to talk me into stopping in some city that was an important Christian landmark that had drawn pilgrims for over a thousand years. I thought about it, pictured yet another ornate, over-the-top Gothic cathedral and said I'd take a pass, I'd seen more than enough of those. So he dropped me off in La Coruna, where I met a cute German guy with a sailboat who invited me to sail with him to Lisboa, Portugal, we almost shipwrecked in a storm off of Finasterra and limped back to La Coruna - long story - and I continued on my journey around Iberia.

A few years ago, I learned more about el Camino, kicked myself for not stopping in Santiago de Compostela way back then, and thought well then I guess it's time for me to go back and walk it.

My plan right now is to start walking in early June, 2016. I want to see all the historic sites, walk through mountains, by the ocean and through all the most beautiful villages and cities. I want to meet everybody, not compete for beds and I want to walk alone - or at least not start out hiking in the morning with 100 people. IE: I guess I'm going to have to walk all the routes in all seasons and I'm too old for this, dammit. So right now I'm researching and looking at how I might walk the norte to the primitivo and drop down to Frances at some points, too. (update: am now thinking of walking the Frances with an alternate route into SDC, if possible) Haven't decided yet, but I am really enjoying avoiding all my other responsibilities and daily hassles while I think about all of this and try not to read too many journals that will spoil the surprise.

One of the first people I ever backpacked with as a young teenager was (and still is) my buddy Mike, who is the founder and owner of Osprey Packs. He still designs the packs, along with the help of his design team in Colorado and Vietnam. So I got an Osprey Sirrus 36, which is a beautiful and ingenious design and I love to drink a glass of wine and just gaze at and play with it. I am also wasting quite a bit of time thinking about stuff I will carry, but I am promising myself that I will resist posting a long, boring list with pictures of my kit. I hate synthetic "technical" clothing, so I bought a bunch of tee shirts in 50/50 cotton/polyester, thin all-cotton and other fabric types, which I will hike in to see how they feel, wash and compare how long they take to line dry. I am an epidemiologist by trade, so sue me.

So hello and here we go.

Last edited:

My wife and I took a taxi ( taxi navarra +34 689 80 01 52 , Juan) in Sept 2014 ( $750 flat rate ). It was worth it for us as Laurie is prone to motion sickness and coming from the States was a very tiring ordeal . This way door to door in 5 hrs no trains, bus , plus extra day acclamation time before heading up to Orission.
Price vs Convenience ... if you can find a passenger to join you , you can share the fare .

Joe

My wife and I took a taxi ( taxi navarra +34 689 80 01 52 , Juan) in Sept 2014 ( $750 flat rate ). It was worth it for us as Laurie is prone to motion sickness and coming from the States was a very tiring ordeal . This way door to door in 5 hrs no trains, bus , plus extra day acclamation time before heading up to Orission.
Price vs Convenience ... if you can find a passenger to join you , you can share the fare .

Joe
Thanks! I'll look into this option!

Buenas tardes a todos!

Currently planning to walk La Via de la Plata, starting on La Via Augusta or El Camino del Sur (Plan A) or El Camino Frances, starting in SJPdP (Plan B) during the Spring or during the Fall of 2016. As far as training, so far so good but I need to increase the distance.

Slowly getting all our gear together, so far I have purchased the Osprey Stratos 36 (for me) and ordered the Osprey Sirrus 36 (for my wife), both from REI.

Looking for (a) quick drying convertible pants, (b) quick drying shirts, (c) blister prevention socks and insoles, (d) good anti-friction foot cream, (e) electrical power adapters. If you have a recommendations please shoot it this way.

Muchas Gracias y Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Hello all!
I will be returning April/May 2016 from Logrono to Santiago. Walked SJPP this past May to Logrono. Really looking forward to finishing next year.
Anyone interested in hooking up from Logrono?
Buen Camino to ALL!

Hello all!
I will be returning April/May 2016 from Logrono to Santiago. Walked SJPP this past May to Logrono. Really looking forward to finishing next year.
Buen Camino to ALL!
Hi, welcome back. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buenas tardes a todos!

Currently planning to walk La Via de la Plata, starting on La Via Augusta or El Camino del Sur (Plan A) or El Camino Frances, starting in SJPdP (Plan B) during the Spring or during the Fall of 2016. As far as training, so far so good but I need to increase the distance.

Slowly getting all our gear together, so far I have purchased the Osprey Stratos 36 (for me) and ordered the Osprey Sirrus 36 (for my wife), both from REI.

Looking for (a) quick drying convertible pants, (b) quick drying shirts, (c) blister prevention socks and insoles, (d) good anti-friction foot cream, (e) electrical power adapters. If you have a recommendations please shoot it this way.

Muchas Gracias y Buen Camino.
Hi, wish you both a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Thank you for opening this thread!

I probably will have to wait until 2016 to make my camino even though when I introduced myself I said that I could be doing the Camino in the Fall of 2015 or Spring of 2016. As much as I'd like to go earlier (love to go earlier) I think 2016 is the time that is most reasonable. I hope my youngest child will be settled away from home a bit more by the Spring of 2016. I think an early spring pilgrimage (as opposed to early summer) is what would suit me best because I prefer to be a bit chilly rather than a bit too hot.

As of right now, my ideal camino, and what I will plan for is a pilgrimage from SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela.

-E
I'll be heading out mid March 2016 from SJPdP...maybe I'll see you along the way! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello all!
Buen Camino to ALL!

Doing the same in Sept/Oct 2016 from Los Arcos .. good luck SimLin!

I'll be heading out mid March 2016 from SJPdP...maybe I'll see you along the way! Buen Camino!
Hi Mary, welcome to this wonderful forum that becomes your family. You will meet pilgrims of all ages and country's from all over the world. It will be a great time. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

The Class of .. threads were started back in when 2007 Arn had the bright idea of creating a topic for all those planning to go in 2008. His post:

The number of folks making their Camino each year is in the thousands, surely there are more of you out there.
Who among you is willing to acknowledge you're a member of the class of 2016?
Buen Camino
Arn
I'll be there in May 2016; can't wait!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In passing @dee bright , not sure if you noticed the above responses, but if you think you'd consider a walking buddy, I am looking for one or more this time around!
I want to do this alone--a scary proposition, but it's sort of a challenge I'm giving myself--but that doesn't mean I won't want a walking companion for a few days! Let's keep in touch and see how our schedules shake out!

I want to do this alone--a scary proposition, but it's sort of a challenge I'm giving myself--but that doesn't mean I won't want a walking companion for a few days! Let's keep in touch and see how our schedules shake out!

No worries! I started alone last year when I waked SJPdP to Logrono - I want a different experience this time around - will gladly keep in touch!

Hi, wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi! I'm planning to walk the Camino starting in late April or early May. Really excited, and looking forward to meeting lots of you on the path!
Hi, I walked the Camino last April / May and I had a great time. The weather was great and it was not that busy. And you will meet lots of other pilgrims along the way. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

This is a great thread! Love reading everyone's replies.

Since watching "Walking the Camino" back in January of 2015, i've set my sights for September/October of 2016 starting from St. Jean de Port. That should give me plenty of time to save up, train and buy all the equipment and items I need. I've already talked to my supervisor who assures me that taking five or six weeks off will be manageable and I would still have a job waiting for me when I get back.

The only hesitation I have right now is my boyfriend of almost 2 years. I would love to have him by my side and walk the Camino with me, but when I do bring the subject up - he encourages me but seems less enthused to do it himself.

To all the couples out there doing the walk together - how did you get you significant other to agree to go with you?

Since watching "Walking the Camino" back in January of 2015, i've set my sights for September/October of 2016 starting from St. Jean de Port. That should give me plenty of time to save up, train and buy all the equipment and items I need. I've already talked to my supervisor who assures me that taking five or six weeks off will be manageable and I would still have a job waiting for me when I get back.

The only hesitation I have right now is my boyfriend of almost 2 years. I would love to have him by my side and walk the Camino with me, but when I do bring the subject up - he encourages me but seems less enthused to do it himself.

To all the couples out there doing the walk together - how did you get you significant other to agree to go with you?

Oh fellow Canadian...enjoy the process, and yes, it gives you plenty of time and frankly, there will be days where you'll want to leave asap as you gather your equipment etc and train.
As for your boyfriend, I would continue with your training and excitement and he may just decide on his own...with that said, never worked with my husband...and it did not stop me from going - I am going back next May!
Buen Camino @NJ McKay

Oh fellow Canadian...enjoy the process, and yes, it gives you plenty of time and frankly, there will be days where you'll want to leave asap as you gather your equipment etc and train.
As for your boyfriend, I would continue with your training and excitement and he may just decide on his own...with that said, never worked with my husband...and it did not stop me from going - I am going back next May!
Buen Camino @NJ McKay

Thank you SimLin! Will do!

Hi , we didn't. My wife walked the Camino Frances in 2013. Last year we walked together from Sarria to Finistere. And this year I walked the Camino Frances. Next year we walk together from Porto to Santiago. This works for us.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi, I'm new here and I am in the very early stages of planning my Camino journey. I believe I will make my Camino walk in 2016 and I haven't yet decided on Spring or Fall though I am leaning toward Spring.

I am Catholic and I am preparing to do the walk as part of my spiritual life, I feel called to do this. I am challenged though in that I have some medical conditions that make me unsure if it is even possible. However, as soon as I got online and found this forum I stumbled across stories of others who have either accomplished their Camino walks with limitations or who were planning to try. So I take heart in that!

I am also a mother to a young boy. He is three years old and in spring of 2016 he will be 4 and a half. I haven't yet decided if my husband and son will come with me - of course they will have some say in that decision, what I mean is that I haven't decided if I will invite them, lol. I may want to walk alone or with a faith group.

That's my brief introduction. I hope it wasn't too long winded. Thank you for being here and reading it. I look forward to knowing you, learning from you, and sharing this exciting journey with you. Pax!

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.