• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Credentials (donativo)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Re: Free Credentials

Ian - thank you for making the credencial available to all peregrinos without them having to join an organisation. The Spanish Federation have always made their credencials avilable to any pilgrim setting off on a Camino pilgrimage and I think its a good move on your part.

To plug the American Pilgrims on the Camino, they offer a free credential. It will come with an application to join or donate, which I would encourage, but it is free. I did not find any free credentials offered in Spain. Mundicamino offers to sell a credential on its site.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

falcon269 said:
To plug the American Pilgrims on the Camino, they offer a free credential. It will come with an application to join or donate, which I would encourage, but it is free. I did not find any free credentials offered in Spain. Mundicamino offers to sell a credential on its site.

Well not quite "free" - they do invite donations in the same way as donativo albergues invite donations.

The credencial issued by the Cathedral in Santiago has a suggested dontativo of 0.75€ printed on it.

I think it would be very helpful if Ivar could have a button or a permanent highlight about this important information on where to get credenciales.

Mundicamino answers the question on where to obtain a credential:

¿Dónde se obtiene?

SAINT JEAN PIED DE PORT
Oficina del peregrino
RONCESVALLES
Oficina del peregrino.
CANFRANC
Oficina de turismo de Canfranc Estación
(Torre de Fusileros, situada entre Canfranc Estación y Canfranc Pueblo).
JACA
Iglesia de Santiago.
LARRASOAÑA
Albergue Municipal de Peregrinos (D. Santiago Zubiri).
PAMPLONA
Albergue de peregrinos.
La Universidad de Navarra también las distribuye.
En el punto de información que tiene en el Edificio Central del campus universitario.
PUENTE LA REINA
Albergue de peregrinos.
ESTELLA
Albergue de peregrinos.
LOGROÑO
Albergue Municipal de peregrinos.
SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA
Albergue de peregrinos de la Cofradía del Santo.
BURGOS
Albergue de peregrinos (Asociación de amigos del Camino de Burgos).
CARRIÓN DE LOS CONDES
Oficina del peregrino (Monasterio de San Zoilo).
LEÓN
Albergue de peregrinos.
ASTORGA
Albergue de peregrinos.
RABANAL DEL CAMINO
Albergue Nuestra Señora del Pilar.
MOLINASECA
Albergue de peregrinos (Alfredo).
PONFERRADA
Albergue de peregrinos.
VILLAFRANCA DEL BIERZO
Albergue de peregrinos AVE FÉNIX (Jato).
O CEBREIRO
Albergue de peregrinos y Santuario.
SAMOS
Albergue del Monasterio.
SARRIA
Albergue de peregrinos.
PORTOMARÍN
Albergue de peregrinos.

Yes Mundicamino and some other sources list some of the places IN Spain where credenciales can be obtained. However many pilgrims like to obtain theirs before they leave home. Therefore I was referring to services such as that provided by the American Pilgrims and now Ian Holsdworth. Municamino makes no mention of them. THAT is what I was referring to. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

If walking il Primitivo and you fly to Asturias airport, the tourist information issue them for free. They are just to the right after you walk out of arrivals

I would like to add my two cents - or pence - here about "free" credentials, particularly about the credentials from American Pilgrims. Per their website, American PIlgrims does not charge a specific fee for theirs but a donation is strongly suggested. As someone here pointed out, like the donativo albergues, "donation" is NOT "free". These documents are not cheap to produce and with the cost of mailing added in they are actually rather expensive to distribute. For international mailing, much more so. So once again, "donation" is NOT "free"! (One point I've not seen addressed here is whether or not the Peterborough Pilgrims' credentials are approved by the Pilgrims' Welcome Office in Santiago. It is my understanding that credentials distributed by foreign associations must have their designs approved before they will be accepted for the compostela. Anyone know about this?)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Gene_781 said:
(One point I've not seen addressed here is whether or not the Peterborough Pilgrims' credentials are approved by the Pilgrims' Welcome Office in Santiago. It is my understanding that credentials distributed by foreign associations must have their designs approved before they will be accepted for the compostela. Anyone know about this?)

The credenciales which are being offered by the Peterborough Pilgrims have been supplied to them by the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela - they are original and authentic credenciales.

Davroos said:
If walking il Primitivo and you fly to Asturias airport, the tourist information issue them for free. They are just to the right after you walk out of arrivals
Some of the 'credenciales' offered in some tourist offices are just advertising for a few local bars/restaurants and given with the idea that you will go there to get a discount. We personally did not like the one we were given and didn't use it. The type on offer might depend on where you are.

In this case donation is FREE. You will get a credential regardless of us receiving a donation or not. We cover the cost of the credential which we have carried back from the Pilgrim
office in Santiago and the postage to your address.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Well that was fast! I sent my e-mail 3,5 days ago and today I received my credential from Peterborough Pilgrims.
Thank you Ian!
Best Regards,
annie

Ian,
I received my Credential via post on Saturday (10 March, 2012) and it is now affixed to the mirror in my bedroom as a reminder of what I'm working towards. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for sending it to me. I hope to be part of the "Class of 2015" for the Camino Frances and will have the Credential from your organisation in my ruck along with my Bible and Rosary (and whatever other kit I assemble).

De Colores y Buen Camino,
8) WanderingChristian :arrow:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I just sent a request to Ian. I also made a donation.

My philosophy is people / organizations who request donations are providing an item or service from their heart but also appreciate some financial compensation should the recipient feel compelled and/or have the funds to do so. Just because something is 'free' doesn't mean we should all rush out and require it be thus.

Sometimes, it is good to also give back, even if it is just a little bit.

Cooking

Are there cooking facilities on the Portuguese route?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Free Credencial
Get a free Credencial/Pilgrims Passport here.
Presumably.

When the hospitalero asks for your passport, though, he often is requesting your government-issued passport. There are police reporting requirements for transients! In Portomarin's Ferramentiero they have a magnetic reader that reads your passport magnetic strip. A photocopy (tape one in the front of your credencial to satisfy most albergue questions) will not do!

Hi Elizabeth. This is the blank accreditation that the Cathedral in Santiago issue. It admits you to all
the pilgrim privileges and is the document that is used to determine if you qualify for a Compostela.
Peterborough Pilgrims are happy to supply you with one. Go to the button at the bottom of the pages route pages for the links.

At our digital age, would it also be possible to download and print a credential from some web page? I am going to start my Santiago walk in a few days from Estonia. I am not so sure a credential would make it here from the UK by snail mail by then. I would not need a credential for most of my way as there is no infrastructure of albergues anywhere close to Estonia, however, I would still like my hometown to be printed on the Compostela as the starting point of my pilgrimage, once I've walked those 4500 km. Does it need to be that official, can I not just draw my own credential for the first part of my route, and have the very first stamp put into it by the town council here or something?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Maari said:
At our digital age, would it also be possible to download and print a credential from some web page? I am going to start my Santiago walk in a few days from Estonia. I am not so sure a credential would make it here from the UK by snail mail by then. I would not need a credential for most of my way as there is no infrastructure of albergues anywhere close to Estonia, however, I would still like my hometown to be printed on the Compostela as the starting point of my pilgrimage, once I've walked those 4500 km. Does it need to be that official, can I not just draw my own credential for the first part of my route, and have the very first stamp put into it by the town council here or something?
Maari!

Wow! That is a real Camino! There may be a church or cathedral in Estonia able to issue credenciales, but unless anyone comes up with a better suggestion I'd make my own. Even if you got an official one it probably wouldn't have enough space for all your stamps anyway as you're walking for so long. Pick one up an official one when you get to somewhere able to provide it.

Do try to collect stamps along the way even if they're just from bars and hotels etc. The point is that it's a record of your journey. I doubt anyone in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago will ask too many questions if you can provide sheets of stamps from Estonia onwards, official or otherwise.

My credencial for the Camino Ingles was just a photocopied sheet of paper from the tourist office (with their stamp).

Buen Camino! :D

Hello: I just signed up.. My name is Zofia Carolina, and along wth my husband we are planning on cycling the Camino, beginning in Pamplona in early Sept. of this year. I was trying to send an email to
pilgrimpeterbros@gmail.com. to request our 'Credentials" from Peterborough Pilgrims. However,
I keep getting a Delivery Status Notification (Failure): "The following message to <pilgrimpeterbros@gmail.com.> was undeliverable". So my question is to Ian Holdsworth : How can I make my request by email? Have you changed your address? Thank you for your reply.

I don't know if the email address works, but if you are entering .com. then you need to omit the last period.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

falcon269, you are absolutely right about that dot. I didn't even notice it - must have placed it there by a slip of a finger.
And JohnnieWalker, thank you very much for your intercession.

€46,-

I've sent 2 emails without any reply. Perhaps away on Camino?

Yes, I just requested one from Ian, who responded today saying he'd been away. It's in the post now. I'm sorry for the short notice and lack of specific information on my request Ian! Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

:D I am back, but briefly. I have issued credentials to all those who have asked for one. If you have not had an email from me it means that your email is lost and I need a repeat. I was away of the Costa Camino in Portugal. I am going again on Monday 8 October to St Jean with another small group to Burgos in two weeks. So I will not be issuing any for the next 15 days. After all that a short holiday with the family at half term, perhaps. They do need to see me from time to time. Added to all this, I am a parish priest, with the usual duties of that work.

On a related and important point, we do issue credentials as fast as we can, but we do not make any promises for how long it will take( for the above reasons ). I will answer any request as fast as I can. This means that although we try to do the work everyday it may well be that the credential you need in three days time will not get to you as fast as you would like it. A little time and warning is very helpful! You have known about your trip for sometime, so give us a little of that time please. :) :)

Do these credentials have an expiration date? We're walking in October 2013 and we need a total of 5.
Thanks!
Karen

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Yes, in this day and age it's an interesting idea to issue credentials in a digital form for local printing. I thought I had understood from a post somewhere here in the forum that all credentials and issuers had to be approved by the Cathedral office? No?

It is reasonable to have a cost to cover expenses ... as others have noted, preparation, printing, handling, and postage are not inexpensive items these days, both in time and cost.

The Canadian Company of Pilgrims http://www.santiago.ca issues credentials only to members
Membership is C$10.00 [only one membership is required per mailing address].
Credentials are C$5.00 each.
CCoP badges are available for C$4.00 - http://www.santiago.ca/bodega.html
St James medals are available donativo.
new-badge-285.gif
st-james-medal.gif

The credenciales to which the OP refers are not digital - they are real printed-on-card credenciales which are issued by the cathedral of Santiago. The Peterborough Pilgirms through their own efforts raise money to make them available on a donativo basis for pilgrims.

Well done to them.

John

Hi Ian and John - just wondering if non-UK residents can also request for a credential via Peterborough Pilgrims?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

lea_r said:
Hi Ian and John - just wondering if non-UK residents can also request for a credential via Peterborough Pilgrims?
Hi Lea! I think so. Ian's link takes you to a web page where you are invited to make a donation, so just bear in mind the extra postage costs etc. Buen Camino!

as read through the many post found here I can't but help tp feel "what nice people" , everyone here is so helpful to one another, so thoughtful.....it makes me feel good to know that these shall be many on the ones that shall be walking this voyage along the Camino with me.

siberiansea said:
as read through the many post found here I can't but help tp feel "what nice people" , everyone here is so helpful to one another, so thoughtful.....it makes me feel good to know that these shall be many on the ones that shall be walking this voyage along the Camino with me.
You'll meet lovely people on your Camino! We're not always 100% nice to each other on this forum, but it's certainly one of the best I've been involved with! Buen Camino! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Granted it was in 1987, but I never had an actual credential on my camino. Starting in Pamplona, I just got stamps along the way on the inside front and back covers of my guidebook- and I did ultimately receive a compostela/compostelana- think that would still work today?

Telluridewalker said:
Granted it was in 1987, but I never had an actual credential on my camino. Starting in Pamplona, I just got stamps along the way on the inside front and back covers of my guidebook- and I did ultimately receive a compostela/compostelana- think that would still work today?

Hola Happy New Year from Santiago

The Pilgrims Office prefers pilgrim to use official credenciales. That said some pilgrims arrive with sellos in notebooks, bibles or on bits of paper. If the sellos are there the Compostela is issued.

However if pilgrims do not use a credencial there might be much more of a problem getting access to albergues these days than with the Pilgrims' Office in Santiago.

Regards

John

Hello,
I was wondering how long it usually takes for these to come through.
I have sent two Emails with no reply. I am wondering if they are getting through :)
My first Email was about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Second Email about 2 weeks ago.
Is this Email address still active?
I am not being impatient, I am just wondering if they are still available

EDIT----
Arrived. Was delayed in post at my end. See comment about 5 posts below.
All is good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

JohnnieWalker said:
Hola - I'll e mail Ian. He was in touch last week asking for a further supply of credenciales - perhaps he is waiting for them.

John

Can we order them direct from Spain?
Regards
Terry

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thanks John,
Hopefully these guys will send them.
The donation for the others works out to about the same.
Thanks again

OK. I know people often want their credencial in advance of arriving in Spain but I cannot stress enough how available they are after you arrive in the country.There is no need to pay over the odds for them.

When I first started researching the Camino in 1998, many articles stated that the original 'credencial' was a letter of safe passage and that one one should have it stamped by your priest at home before you left.

The South African CSJ used to include a document with the credenciales they sent to members, printed in Latin, English, Spanish and French with the following wording:

In the name of the Confraternity of St James of South Africa, I declare that the above named member of our Confraternity will be undertaking a pilgrimage by walking/cycling/on horseback to the tomb of St James the Greater in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia Spain. In the spirit of the pilgrims of old, I request that all officials of monasteries, abbeys, representatives of Government, the military and especiallay all other Confraternities of St James, provide this pilgrim with the necessary assistance that he/she may need in order to complete the pilgrimage successfully.

JohnnieWalker said:
OK. I know people often want their credencial in advance of arriving in Spain but I cannot stress enough how available they are after you arrive in the country.There is no need to pay over the odds for them.

Agreed. However, some of us are doing the Camino for spiritual reasons. which involves the original credential issue.(A timely comment made just above this one) I was trying to get as close as I could to my birthplace. In my case, there is illness involved with another party and the credential was kind of my way to generate some physical paperwork to say "this is happening!" .
I realise no one knew this when I posted. As you may see, there are deeper motives than just having some paper which can be gotten with little effort in SJPDP. As a multi generation Templar(Another story) I saw the credential not as a "free" one, because I have all intentions to make a donation based on it's location issue significance.
I hope this comes over correctly, as we know how text can sometimes lose it's meaning.
Warm regards
Terry

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thanks for the link JonnieWalker. Great blogspot also.

I will be patient a little longer for the one from England. Maybe thier stocks will be in soon.
Regards
Terry

Hey max44! I just got a response from Ian the other day. Hope you got one as well.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

lea_r said:
Hey max44! I just got a response from Ian the other day. Hope you got one as well.

I did. :)

Mine arrived today.
You should have seen the smile on my sick friends face. It was so, so nice to see after all the things going on for them.

Thank you so much!
It was posted on the 3rd/4th of Jan arrived 14th. Was air mail so be patient.
I am in western Australia.
Donation gladly on the way
EDIT-----
Donation made. I like the donation idea as we got to donate a higher amount that suited the smile I got when I showed my friend her Passport.
Thank you so much again Ian. This means more that you realise to some people.

I got mine as well! Took less than a week from UK to Singapore. I got really excited when I saw the "Royal Mail" postage on the envelope. :)

Thank you so much and Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Tyson2013 said:
Is this available for Australia?
Hi Tyson. I think it's available for anywhere. Just give Ian as much time as you can (I've planned my Caminos last minute and probably stressed the poor guy!). Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
Tyson2013 said:
Is this available for Australia?
Hi Tyson. I think it's available for anywhere. Just give Ian as much time as you can (I've planned my Caminos last minute and probably stressed the poor guy!). Buen Camino!

Hi Tyrrek and Tyson,
I am in Australia (W.A.) mine came through no problems.
May I be so bold as to say.... These cost time and postage money to send. a few English pounds. They are not free for the sender. A donation, whilst not mandatory, would be appreciated I am sure :)

tyrrek..Thanks for your valuable help to me on other posts elsewhere. It's appreciated :)

Ian Holdsworth said:
I have just received a box of 1000 credentials from Santiago. So gang let's rock and roll.
Ian H

My credential arrived yesterday!
And I'm very happy for it! :)
Thank you!

Ian Holdsworth said:
I have just received a box of 1000 credentials from Santiago. So gang let's rock and roll.
Ian H

Delighted that my credential arrived in the post this morning - many thanks Ian for turning it around very quickly.

I'm due to depart SJPdP Wed 3rd April: weather permitting. Having downloaded the eWeather HD app I have a new daily entertainment along with keeping up with the daily Navarricano bulletin which I must say is a fantastic service .. Kevin

falcon269 said:
Mundicamino answers the question on where to obtain a credential:

¿Dónde se obtiene?

SAINT JEAN PIED DE PORT
Oficina del peregrino
RONCESVALLES
Oficina del peregrino.
CANFRANC
Oficina de turismo de Canfranc Estación
(Torre de Fusileros, situada entre Canfranc Estación y Canfranc Pueblo).
JACA
Iglesia de Santiago.
LARRASOAÑA
Albergue Municipal de Peregrinos (D. Santiago Zubiri).
PAMPLONA
Albergue de peregrinos.
La Universidad de Navarra también las distribuye.
En el punto de información que tiene en el Edificio Central del campus universitario.
PUENTE LA REINA
Albergue de peregrinos.
ESTELLA
Albergue de peregrinos.
LOGROÑO
Albergue Municipal de peregrinos.
SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA
Albergue de peregrinos de la Cofradía del Santo.
BURGOS
Albergue de peregrinos (Asociación de amigos del Camino de Burgos).
CARRIÓN DE LOS CONDES
Oficina del peregrino (Monasterio de San Zoilo).
LEÓN
Albergue de peregrinos.
ASTORGA
Albergue de peregrinos.
RABANAL DEL CAMINO
Albergue Nuestra Señora del Pilar.
MOLINASECA
Albergue de peregrinos (Alfredo).
PONFERRADA
Albergue de peregrinos.
VILLAFRANCA DEL BIERZO
Albergue de peregrinos AVE FÉNIX (Jato).
O CEBREIRO
Albergue de peregrinos y Santuario.
SAMOS
Albergue del Monasterio.
SARRIA
Albergue de peregrinos.
PORTOMARÍN
Albergue de peregrinos.

Hola,

Do you know which are the openings hours of the Oficina del Peregrino in SJPdP?
I'm thinking to get the credential prior my departure in the case I'll arrive too late (the train is supposed to arrive In SJPdP around 7 PM). I plan to start the next day around 6:30 AM and I'm not sure whether they are at the office that early.

Thank you,
S

The pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.

sillydoll said:
The pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h.
Thanks a lot!
Then I can get the credential from SJPdP, not via internet. It was my hidden wish anyway...
:D
Have a nice day,
S

This support from Ian is typical of the spirit of the Camino and one of the reasons I am so attracted to it. I've just sent off my request and hope to see some of you en-route in May. Starting from home in Cornwall in early May and cycling through France and then on the Camino Frances to arrive in Santiago around 3rd June.
Buen camino to everyone
Roger

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

The quality of the paper in the credentials I got from Ian, is mech better than the thin paper ones I see along the way. I made a donation for the one I got from here and glad I did.
Thanks Ian for a long lasting quality credential. This will last.
Oh well, back to my camino :)

The question was about FREE credentials, so the Polish one is an availaible option. Of course everybody can use any model he7she desires, reaching from papyrus to pdf printout - it is really of no substantial difference IMHO.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ian
Thank you for the insights and for the support that you provided to me today and to top it all the Royal Mail delivered my Credential del Peregrino to my home.

Dax

On behalf of all Israel pilgrims who will walk this year carrying Peter's credential I want to thank him and his organisation.
Zammy

I have been told that you can get credentials at the albuergues in the towns in Spain along the french route. I am staring in Leon. Is this true? I've tried to get one from American organizations with no luck and I am nervous about getting over there without one and no way of getting one.

Thanks !

waterdog205 said:
I have been told that you can get credentials at the albuergues in the towns in Spain along the french route. I am staring in Leon. Is this true? I've tried to get one from American organizations with no luck and I am nervous about getting over there without one and no way of getting one.

Thanks !

Please don't be afraid. Just go to the albergue in Leon and ask for one.

Buen camino

John

Please don't be afraid. Just go to the albergue in Leon and ask for one.

Buen camino

John
I plan to fly to Santiago de Compostela, then take a train to Sahagun and hike back from there. I assume that credentials are available in either Santiago or Sahagun?

I found a couple of places on the Camino where Credentials were offered at no cost.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I plan to fly to Santiago de Compostela, then take a train to Sahagun and hike back from there. I assume that credentials are available in either Santiago or Sahagun?
Kentucky Jay,
You can get a Pilgrim Passport or Credential in Santiago at the Pilgrims Office near the cathedral at Rúa do Vilar, 3/1 . In Sahagun at the municipal Albergue Cluny which is in the renovated ex-Iglesia de la Trinidad on the Calle Juan de Sahagun.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:

American Pilgrims does indeed offer credentials but to be more specific they are not "free" but by donation. Likewise albergues that operate by donation are not "free". Nitpicking but there is a mindset involved here. If these services that operate by donation don't receive donations to cover costs, they disappear.

American Pilgrims does indeed offer credentials but to be more specific they are not "free" but by donation.
They are gracious enough to offer them free, but enclose a donation request form, which also is on their website. Become a member and you can support this effort. It bothers me a bit that generosity is tainted with an implication that the offer is not really free, or grudgingly given. If I suspected that was their attitude, I would stop being a member. A credential is a piece of paper issued at the sufferance of:
The Credencial (pilgrim’s passport) is the successor to the “documents of safe conduct” given to medieval pilgrims. Nowadays there is only one official Credencial issued and recognised by the Pilgrims’ Office. It is available by applying in person from the Pilgrims’ Office or from other organisations authorised to distribute the official Credencial, such as Churches, Amigos groups, albergues etc. In some countries other than Spain voluntary organisations such as Confraternities who support the pilgrimage to Santiago have been permitted to supply their own Credenciales.
It is not a product per se of the APOC. In recent decades it was required for admittance to the system of municipal and parochial albergues. Private albergues have adopted it as a requirement in order to keep the "tourists" out of the cheap accommodations. In more ancient times it was an authorization to undertake the pilgrimage, and issued by the Church and its agents.

Please do not hesitate to accept the generosity of APOC. Do not hesitate to donate (or join) either. I do not think that anyone will resent you accepting the offer. The credential is widely available in France and Spain for about 2E. It probably costs about five cents to print. A suitable donation should you wish to donate would be in that range, plus a bit of postage. American Pilgrims on the Camino is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. All donations are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by the law.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's where I got mine and I sent a contribution. It was delivered within a couple of weeks.

Well not quite "free" - they do invite donations in the same way as donativo albergues invite donations.

The credencial issued by the Cathedral in Santiago has a suggested dontativo of 0.75€ printed on it.

I think it would be very helpful if Ivar could have a button or a permanent highlight about this important information on where to get credenciales.

Is it still possible to pick up a Credential in Santiago at the Cathedral if you are walking Sarria to Santiago (but flying into Santiago) ?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.