• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Cycle Madrid

Torrent1964

One of my options is to cycle from Madrids to Finisterre and Muxia via Santiago. I have been virtually scouting the Camino Madrid (photos, etc). The condition of the broad paths seems to be loose sand that is grabby (sucky) in nature (holding onto the tires and slowing down, rather than powdery and hard (fast) underneath (?). Can anyone comment on this?

Also, has anyone cycled the Camino Madrid? Can you give me any ideas with regard to pace and distance per day? We will be a group of four. We will also carry some supplies and bivvy bags if we can camp aside the trail.

As always, your advice is more than welcome 8)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I did the first part of the Madrid from Fuencarral to Cercedilla last September - lots of cyclists along the way , but very few walkers. The path is quite sandy in places, with a few steepish rocky sections - you would need a mountain bike, IMO, but I'm sure you know this already. Overall the part I walked looked easy for bikes. Plenty of secluded places to bivvi overnight. :D

Yes I believe the route is cyclable (is that a word?) without too much difficulty. I met a lot of cyclists when I was writing the guide. You can either get off and push up the mountain pass or use the road round to Segovia.

Buen camino

John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JohnnieWalker said:
Yes I believe the route is cyclable (is that a word?) without too much difficulty. I met a lot of cyclists when I was writing the guide. You can either get off and push up the mountain pass or use the road round to Segovia.

Buen camino

John

Having considered the data so far, I think Francais is looking more realistic for a first pilgrimage. Although more awkward and more expensive to get to, it feels better supported at this point. However, I feel Madrid beckoning and I am bound to inevitably encounter it at some point (I feel it deep down). Thanks John.

I walked late April last year and on day one I recall numerous local cyclists on suitable machines.
Four long distance cyclists were over-nighting in Coca.
In Castromonte I met a solo Spanish pilgrim cycling to Santiago.

Whatever route you choose,
Buen Camino.

Last May on the Camino de Madrid I met two peregrinos on foot and five on bikes. Most of the route, as far as I can remember, seems like it would be fine for cyclists. And I'm sure there are easy work-arounds to the short stretches where we sank deep into sand or had to navigate some of the rockiest terrain I've ever encountered on a camino.

The albergues are terrific on this route, and the number of pilgrims is so small that cyclists can walk right in and claim their beds without waiting around to see if pilgrims show up. I know that's sometimes a problem for cyclists on the Frances.

Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
peregrina2000 said:
Last May on the Camino de Madrid I met two peregrinos on foot and five on bikes. Most of the route, as far as I can remember, seems like it would be fine for cyclists. And I'm sure there are easy work-arounds to the short stretches where we sank deep into sand or had to navigate some of the rockiest terrain I've ever encountered on a camino.

The albergues are terrific on this route, and the number of pilgrims is so small that cyclists can walk right in and claim their beds without waiting around to see if pilgrims show up. I know that's sometimes a problem for cyclists on the Frances.

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for this. Would you remember which bits were sandy and rocky? I might be able to plan alternatives around that. Photos I've seen of the old roman road look immensley difficult and uphill. :?:

I think that from Madrid to Cercedilla there's not any problem for cyclists. I'd recommend leaving right from the Plaza de Castilla, because a lot of that way into Tres Cantos (where many people start, taking the train to Tres Cantos from Madrid) is on a specially dedicated bike path.

From Cercedilla up to the pass at Fonfria, about 800 m of elevation gain, has some stretches on the Roman Road. You would have a tough time cycling on it but I wouldn't think you'd want to miss the opportunity to see it (and the two roman bridges on the way are petty incredible) -- I just walked Cercedilla to Segovia last week when I was in Madrid for a few days, and it's really a knockout stage. From the pass down to Segovia is perfect for cyclists, in fact I saw a bunch of them on the other side of Fuenfria. Cercedilla to Fuenfria is about 7 kms, and there are plenty of parts of that stretch that are perfectly cycle-able.

My journal says that from SEgovia to Santa Maria is where we hit a few kms on big loose rocks, followed by sand in pine forests that you sink into. But this stage is never too far from a road, so I imagine the workarounds are easy. There are other big stretches of pine forest (like going into Coca), but if my memory is right, it'd be fine for biking.

In general, I'd say this is a great camino for cycling, maybe even better than the Frances because of where the paths are -- many many kms of agricultural tracks and forest paths, little elevation gain. I think there are very few sections where you would have to leave the marked Camino, and since you're never far from roads it can't be that hard. Once you hit Sahagun, you'll be overwhelmed by the masses on the Frances, which will probably make you appreciate the Camino de Madrid even more. Buen camino! Laurie

p.s. I know I posted a link to my pictures, but in case you haven't seen them, I think they'll give you some idea of some of the terrain. https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... vqZ76-DEg#

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Laurie you have jogged my memory. Yes I think torrent1964 should go for gold and cycle the Camino de Madrid. I'm sure he has no problem getting off bike and pushing it over the hill at Fonfria... if gear "whatever number" fails. torrent1964 do not be too cautious. You do this stuff at home routinely.

Buen Camino.

crackmrmac said:
Laurie you have jogged my memory. Yes I think torrent1964 should go for gold and cycle the Camino de Madrid. I'm sure he has no problem getting off bike and pushing it over the hill at Fonfria... if gear "whatever number" fails. torrent1964 do not be too cautious. You do this stuff at home routinely.

Buen Camino.

I do hear you. IT s begining to make sense on many levels.

Thanx

Torrent

Thanks for all the good advice everyone,

Well after much research and not a little advice seeking as well as soul searching, Camino Madrid it is to be. I just spent the weekend on a jesuit retreat and this just seemded to confirm it for me. So, Camino Madrid 2013 it will be. I am looking forward to this and being able to make a pilgrimage to 'St John of the Cross' tomb in Segovia too. :D 8) :lol:

We will be a conclave of cyclists. Myself, my father (71), my youngests son and my priest.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.