• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flooding rains on the spiritual variant?

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024 Camino Portuguese
Hello - we left Vigo Monday and have had rain daily for 2 days. Today lots of mud.
Our concern is the forecast is getting worse. Tomorrow we reach Pontevedra. On Friday we are supposed to go to Combarro and Saturday Armenteira. 1” of rain then 2” forecasted. Then Sunday to Ponte Arnelas another inch or rain. This seems that flooding will be a definite safety issue. Not to mention mud!!! The path is “water and stone” - have there been flooding? Or terrible mud on the climb up. Thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello - we left Vigo Monday and have had rain daily for 2 days. Today lots of mud.
Our concern is the forecast is getting worse. Tomorrow we reach Pontevedra. On Friday we are supposed to go to Combarro and Saturday Armenteira. 1” of rain then 2” forecasted. Then Sunday to Ponte Arnelas another inch or rain. This seems that flooding will be a definite safety issue. Not to mention mud!!! The path is “water and stone” - have there been flooding? Or terrible mud on the climb up. Thanks.
It’s not unbearable, we are all fine don’t despair !!

I walked the "water and stone path" exactly 2 weeks ago today and it was a clear, sunny day and the path had mostly dried out. With the rain you mention I would just go "slow and steady", make sure you have your poles and take your time. No point rushing....some of the variant had quite slippy rocks and that was after a week of sunny weather.....I don't think the path up to Armenteira should be too bad with the exception of two areas which are quite steep on rocky cobblestones....again, take your time, slow and steady. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all. After day 3 under our belt we
Are settling in to see just how
Much I am LOVING this! Even in the rain.
Our walk to day from Advance to Pontevedra had many more pilgrims from every country you could imagine! And while steep, rocky areas not slippery. Not as muddy as yesterday - but we were advised not to take the alternative route by the river - too muddy. But we stopped at Casa Fermin - and had a nice snack. So think the weather forecasts error on the side of caution. Rain then sun then rain …
high temp 50s. Perfect !

I walked the "water and stone path" exactly 2 weeks ago today and it was a clear, sunny day and the path had mostly dried out. With the rain you mention I would just go "slow and steady", make sure you have your poles and take your time. No point rushing....some of the variant had quite slippy rocks and that was after a week of sunny weather.....I don't think the path up to Armenteira should be too bad with the exception of two areas which are quite steep on rocky cobblestones....again, take your time, slow and steady. Buen Camino!
Thank you for your sage advice.

but we were advised not to take the alternative route by the river - too muddy.
I can confirm, it was definitely too muddy. Unfortunately there was a number of people that didn’t get that advice, me included. Shoes got soaked and covered in mud, slipped in the mud a few times, and would probably ended up on my backside at least once if it wasn’t for my hiking poles.

I’ll be heading to Combarro tomorrow as well, so maybe I’ll see you on the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the spiritual variant last year. The day I was to take the water and stone path it was raining heavily. The staff at the Albergue in Armenteira told us that the path was flooded and that we should take the paved roadway so we missed the best part of the Spiritual Variant.

I walked the Ruta yesterday. It was one of the most beautiful spaces I have ever been in. The emerald of the moss, ferns and new leaves was almost blinding. A wow at every turn. It had been raining hard, the stream was rushing and quite beautiful with the waterfalls and the sound. The stones were wet and there was some mud but definitely doable. I wear Teva sandals so no issue with slipping but care would have to be taken with footwear with less super grip in these conditions.
There has been heavy rain in bursts since and more in some places than others.
In conclusion, don’t miss the verdant wonderland but take great care.

A general tip for the Stone and Water route that could also be relevant regarding weather is this: the route starts practically right next to the albergue in Armenteira and is wonderful right from the start. If you arrive in non-rainy weather but rain is forecast overnight and/or the next morning, and if you have energy that afternoon, it’s worth heading out to check out as much of the Stone and Water route as you can manage. At the very least, you can just duck into the forest, walk for a few minutes and then walk back. That way you can experience a bit of it (and have it largely to yourself) and/or evaluate the path to see if it seems feasible to do the whole thing the next day or not. Bom caminho peregrinos!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I can confirm, it was definitely too muddy. Unfortunately there was a number of people that didn’t get that advice, me included. Shoes got soaked and covered in mud, slipped in the mud a few times, and would probably ended up on my backside at least once if it wasn’t for my hiking poles.

We will see you! My cousin is wearing a bright pink rain coat - you can’t miss her. We took the “right” route. Totally walked along the highway. Large shoulders so it was OK. Just hard on the feet. Was
Looking forward to that little alternative route. But had enough mud yesterday. My trekking poles have saved me too!

I walked the spiritual variant last year. The day I was to take the water and stone path it was raining heavily. The staff at the Albergue in Armenteira told us that the path was flooded and that we should take the paved roadway so we missed the best part of the Spiritual Variant.
Thanks Steve. That will probably happen to us too.

Did you see Steve’s comment about lots of rain on the espiritual last year? Was told in Armenteria that the path of stone and water was closed due to flooding and they had to take the hard surface road. May happen to us too😣

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did you see Steve’s comment about lots of rain on the espiritual last year? Was told in Armenteria that the path of stone and water was closed due to flooding and they had to take the hard surface road. May happen to us too😣
I did. I hope they don’t close it, it we’ll find out that morning.

I like jungleboy’s tip about walking some of it the afternoon we get there. It will be a short but challenging 10k to get there from combarro, so I might have enough energy in the afternoon to walk a bit of it.

Thank you for posting this question! Im going in the next 2 days and today after forest mud on the way from Vigo questioning this a little bit.. how did it look today? thank you for sharing!

I am heading to the Spiritual in 3 days. Pray the weather god stops this endless rain and wind on the Portuguese Central.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How was it? I am heading that way tomorrow. Monday...5th

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.