• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flying 9/11 weekend

Portia1

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2009, Portuguese 2012
Frances 2016, 2019
Any one else a little uptight about flying over the 9/11 weekend? We are taking AA from DC to JFK and then Iberia to Madrid and on to Porto. There are all kinds of notices that security will be particularly tight that weekend.

I was able to take my hiking poles on-board, disassembled and packed inside my pack, two years ago but I am wondering if I will get through this time--especially since I have to go through TSA twice--at Reagan and then again at JFK. I haven't been asked for my little "liquid baggie" for some time but I imagine I will need to have it ready to pop out this time. Guess I need to plan extra security time in case I have to check my poles--here's hoping!!! Iberia is the WORST for losing things and it's not like they have even a shred of customer service if anything goes wrong. I refuse to check my pack with Iberia. Refuse. I've wondered about taking the tips (with rubber feet) off my poles and carrying those separately but then those are probably what would get me!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm travelling on 9/11 as well, IAD to MAD on Aer Lingus. I spokee with a TSA agent last week at the airport and she said that collapsible hiking poles were allowed as carry on. Remember the phrase 'stability aids'. Good luck. I'm not going to check my pack either. Worse case, the poles stay. The pack stays with me! Buen Camino, and safe travels on 9/11.

Hi, Portia,

This is a question with many different opinions. But I think the bottom line is that no matter what one TSA agent or another tells you, because hiking sticks are not specifically permitted or prohibited in the federal regulations, it is totally up to the discretion of the particular TSA agent you happen to get stuck with. I have read the regulations, and they prohibit ski poles, allow walking canes, but say nothing about hiking poles -- you can see them here in their mind-numbing detail. Anything not specifically covered is up to the discretion of the agent: http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Interpret ... ghters.pdf

Since I'm basically pretty risk-averse, I have always just packed my poles in a cardboard tube or small duffle along with swiss army knife and small scissors. The airlines has lost my poles, but only once. I was lucky to have the time to run to a store in Madrid to pick up a new set before leaving on the train to Sevilla.

I agree with you, I always carry my pack, but since I would be really fuming if I lost my nice Leki poles, I just pack them. And one more bit of trivia that may or may not be relevant to you -- I'm pretty sure there's no way anyone at Santiago's airport security will let anyone carry on poles, collapsible or not. I have seen a number of cases of sad pilgrims when I was leaving the airport over the years. But maybe they just got the wrong security agents.

Buen camino to you -- lucky you to have these things to worry about, since it means you're heading for the camino soon! Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I left Santiago last time with my poles disassembled in my pack and no questions what so ever. It certainly does depend on who is clearing you through security. Am taking a plastic bag, label and rubber bands just in case. Our flight out of Santiago is at 6 a.m. so it will be interesting to see if there is much concern! Now down to a little more than a week!

Hi, Portia,
Just wanted to say that as I sit here deep in the midwest dreaming about the Camino, I very much look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

I think I remember that you posted about having lost your camera along the way, specifically in Hospital de Orbigo (don't know why I remember that). But anyway, I just wanted to tell you that this past May/June, when I was walking the Caminos de Madrid and Invierno and walked from Sahagun to Ponferrada to connect the two, when I got to Hospital de Orbigo I asked in a few places whether they had found a camera that had been lost.

Anyway, I wish you a wonderful Camino, all the very best. Abrazos, Laurie

p.s. do you have the Via Lusitana SOS peregrino number? 915 595 213. It's on 24/7, and the people who operate it would be delighted to help in an emergency. I met a bunch of them in Lisbon last year,and they are wonderful polyglots, eager and ready to help.

Portia1 said:
I left Santiago last time with my poles disassembled in my pack and no questions what so ever. It certainly does depend on who is clearing you through security. Am taking a plastic bag, label and rubber bands just in case. Our flight out of Santiago is at 6 a.m. so it will be interesting to see if there is much concern! Now down to a little more than a week!

If I remember, Caminando had his poles confiscated at SdC airport earlier this year....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
peregrina2000 said:
Hi, Portia,

And one more bit of trivia that may or may not be relevant to you -- I'm pretty sure there's no way anyone at Santiago's airport security will let anyone carry on poles, collapsible or not. I have seen a number of cases of sad pilgrims when I was leaving the airport over the years. But maybe they just got the wrong security agents.

Buen camino to you -- lucky you to have these things to worry about, since it means you're heading for the camino soon! Laurie

My friend had collapsing poles in his bag that he brought from the US, no problem. But in Santiago the agent would not let him pass...we went back out of security to the Ryan Air ticket desk and the agent just put a label on the poles, no tube or box, and sent them through. When we got to Madrid, they came out ok along with another very nice wood hiking stick...must happen all the time. So don't just leave your poles at the security gate.

What I just discovered in disassembling my husband's poles (Leki's) is that each section has a pretty sharp screw end. Not only would they show up as potentially a problem on an x-ray but I am worried about how they could puncture a pack. He has decided not to take them. My Pacer Poles on the other hand, do not have this at all. The ends are flat and plastic sheathed. Perhaps why mine were not a problem before? It will be interesting to see what happens.

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
Travelers looking to visit the City of Light from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport will soon have another flight option. Beginning May 23, Air France will start offering a new non-stop...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back