• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For us sloooow walkers only!

Do us slow Pilgrims get more from the Camino?

• Snail's have little energy, they should be stepped on? lol

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, you misunderstand, when I said "who cares" I was referring to how long it will take to walk from Hunnto to Roncevalles. After all it is a slow walker site.
I did understand the drollness of your reply, but in the context of the quoted post, it was clear that this was a genuine request for information. If I had thought that you were making a general reference to the OP, I would have applauded you instead.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did understand the drollness of your reply, but in the context of the quoted post, it was clear that this was a genuine request for information. If I had thought that you were making a general reference to the OP, I would have applauded you instead.
I stand corrected.:)

Hi Thornley

Yes, there is a lighthouse at Muxia. Well I think it was a lighthouse. It is at the same spot as the church by the sea and is easy to access.

:)
Have walked down that road a hundred times Lisa and never noticed,
You are correct .It is next to the car park opposite the church.
We always buy something from those little stalls, and never worried about the building behind these stalls.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No, you misunderstand, when I said "who cares" I was referring to how long it will take to walk from Hunnto to Roncevalles. After all it is a slow walker site.
I understood, but had to read into your meaning behind your comment. Keep staying happy! Slow....but...sure...Jim

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hmm, it's taken a while to get around to a re-post but hey, what's the rush...

We made our un-rushed Camino from Ferrol to Cee ( we'd have had to hurry to Fisterra, so later). For relaxed, unhurried travel to and from points of departure I have to recommend FEVE (RENFE/ FEVE ). The journey by determined, narrow gauge single track rail from Oviedo to Ferrol is a wonderful experience. with lengthy opportunities for paying proper regard to the landscape.

For exquisite slowness I can wholeheartedly recommend the service of the Menu Peregrino in the Restuarante La Darsena in Luarca. I think they grow the autographed scallop shell that the owner presents with bill while you are waiting for segundo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On my second Camino I met a wonderful man who taught me how to be ok with being the last people out in the morning, to not worry about getting a bed because there will always be somewhere to sleep, and who didn't mind helping me over a fence to appreciate a view like this.

1010039_10151391557826706_611918502_n.jpg

And for that I will always, always be grateful to him.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
The Slow…Walkers who “ENJOY” the Moment!

WE “SNAIL’S” SEE THE FOREST FOR THE TREES!

OUR GOAL…is to start out slow and then “SLOW DOWN!”

Welcome to the official “Camino Pilgrim Snail Gang!”
Almost everyone is welcome? Sorry you pilgrims, who walk 30k plus a day, are not welcome! However, we will consider you if you take a sworn oath…”TO SLOW DOWN! “

OUR MISSION?

Should you decide to accept…. Is to walk slowly and enjoy the moment! So simple?…ya, right!

Our goal….and we have decided to accept!

OUR RULES

Oh yes, if you don’t follow these you will be severely punished. You will be forced to walk 40k a day with those speedy people who see the roses but don’t smell them. I know, that will be pure torture, but there will be a lesson in all this! Who knows, they may want to become one of us?

During our journey, we are not allowed to listen to our iPod’s this will only distract us from our purpose of concentrate on the moment, save that for when you rest at the albergue’s. Of course, using you cell phone is out of the question.

Swearing is allowed but only when you’re talking to yourself.

You may visit your past but not allowed to live there. The whole idea is to dump the baggage from the past. A promise comes with this…your backpack will feel lighter. Living in the moment can and will be a pain-less time in our journey. Living in the future; this only causes anxiety, we will not worry about tomorrow or where we may sleep for the night, the Camino magically provides. Plan for tomorrow but remember, don’t live their! If we get tired “STOP” and reflect on all we have to be grateful for!

For the Camino there are no rules, you can’t do this WRONG! If you can do only part of the Camino because of time or psychical problems it’s OK! If you have to ship your backpack ahead or take a bus to the next town, it’s alright. There are no failures on the Camino. The gifts the Camino will come.

My greatest lesson was to become microwave-less, I don’t need everything now! My normal behavior was pushing myself to the limit and go a little bit more; I was wrong, to live that way! Living in the moment…. I discovered, has no beginning or end…. my Camino lesson!

A LITTLE HISTORY HOW THIS SNAIL WAS BORN

One day as I was struggling after I realized I took the wrong path (which always turned out
to be the right one… for me) I saw no one for five hours and suddenly two Pilgrims appeared, It wasEddie and Esther Perkins from Las Vegas. I told them I was the official Mr.T (turtle) on the Camino. He quickly informed me he was Mr. T (turtle) because he walked so slowly. Well a few days later I ran into him again, he slowly (very slowly) passed me. So I asked him “What is slower than a turtle?” He hesitated and said “A snail.” So Mr. Snail was born! I think we will have fun with this Blog. I would love to hear from you, on what other fun rules we should have and what your Camino experience was to you and did it change your life? Try to keep it to a paragraph or two. I love this life….Jim
It has been brought to my attention that we should give a trophy to the slowest pilgrim. So we will have an annual event to present this award. However (since we are so slow) it may take 10 years for it to happen?

Finished in Santiago a week ago today with my 2 college friends. Every day we separated as the "hares" had a much faster pace and would meet up at our designated spot to spend the night. The newly designated "El Tortuga aka The Turtle" would mosey along and have a grand ole time. Some days it felt like we actually walked different paths when comparing stories from the day

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Finished in Santiago a week ago today with my 2 college friends. Every day we separated as the "hares" had a much faster pace and would meet up at our designated spot to spend the night. The newly designated "El Tortuga aka The Turtle" would mosey along and have a grand ole time. Some days it felt like we actually walked different paths when comparing stories from the day

You sure do walk another path when you take your time.
To anyone who hurries never walk the french camino's or Gr's ........................... you will get a very strange look..........their countryside is beautiful
Well said cableseller.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, Trevorcc you can laugh at cyclists - at least you can at this one! We got disbelief, incomprehension and laughed at cos we cycled slower than many other pilgrims walked. We were overtaken going over Portela Grande (that ain't no place for bikes!) by an older Irish couple who chortled with joy at the sight of us dragging our cycles over the mountain. Then most days a fast-walking Portuguese lass Irma and a Scotsman John got to the albergue way ahead of us. We thought they must of bussed - but it was just us being slow. An elderly Korean couple overtook us on the way to Finisterra - which had them in paroxysms of mirth and James - the fastest man out of Australia was in the local bar on his second beer before we turned up! We never managed to see another cyclist pilgrim twice tho'...

I have just return home from my third stage of the Camino del Norte ( Pobeña - Islares ).

We´ve had a great sunny day today. Unbelievable as yesterday it was pouring down here and it was even cold.
Our walk began in Pobeña right on the beach and along the cliffs over looking the sea. As we were leaving the small village
of Onton, right on a wall there was this huge yellow arrow which showed the way and right next to is written in white paint and
huge letters as well it said - "Going Nowhere Fast". Looks like some "snail" has passed thru here before me.;)

P.S. - Don´t be so slow no one has posted anything in some time.:rolleyes:

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hay MindiWalker, welcome home...or did you just leave it? The Camino has been, and always will be my home in my heart! Check out the video I made during my journey!
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f8xig5PSc4

Hi Jimkaszynski

I´m an American who traveled around and when I found Euskal Herria - the land of the Basque settled here as it´s "paradise" for me.
I live in Bilbo and the Camino del Norte passes 3 minutes from my door step. My mountain club has just started doing the Camino del Norte
in stages over a few years time and as my wife & I cannot go with them on the 3 stages this year we have decided to do them by ourselves.
Today has been stage 3 from Pobeña to Islares. Once we get passed Laredo we will have to sleep in allergies and cover more than just 1 stage
have to cover more stages over a few days ( long weekends , Easter vacation, etc.)
This Camino will be my 4th yet different as my wife & I will not walk it alone as the other 3.
Now I´ll click and watch your video and I hope to enjoy it.:)

Buen Camino!

Hi Jimkaszynski

I´m an American who traveled around and when I found Euskal Herria - the land of the Basque settled here as it´s "paradise" for me.
I live in Bilbo and the Camino del Norte passes 3 minutes from my door step. My mountain club has just started doing the Camino del Norte
in stages over a few years time and as my wife & I cannot go with them on the 3 stages this year we have decided to do them by ourselves.
Today has been stage 3 from Pobeña to Islares. Once we get passed Laredo we will have to sleep in allergies and cover more than just 1 stage
have to cover more stages over a few days ( long weekends , Easter vacation, etc.)
This Camino will be my 4th yet different as my wife & I will not walk it alone as the other 3.
Now I´ll click and watch your video and I hope to enjoy it.:)

Buen Camino!
WOW, what an exciting adventure you live! I am also from America but now live in Thailand doing volunteer work. Love this life!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hay MindiWalker, welcome home...or did you just leave it? The Camino has been, and always will be my home in my heart! Check out the video I made during my journey!
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f8xig5PSc4

Thanks a lot for sharing your video. I really enjoyed it.
Btw at the end of it you ask a question which I find interesting. I always say and have posted here the following " The Camino
de Santiago end in Santiago de Compostela. But the "Camino" NEVER ends.":)

Buen Camino!

Btw Jimkaszynski if you ever decide to walk the Camino del Norte do let me know.:)

Buen Camino!

Same here Jimkaszynski if you ever do, please let me know too as I hope to do it next year God willing, but only very Slo....wly !!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Btw Pilgrim b same offer to you , if you ever do the Camino del Norte or pass thru Bilbo let me know.:)

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Btw Pilgrim b same offer to you , if you ever do the Camino del Norte or pass thru Bilbo let me know.:)

Buen Camino!

Thank you MendiWalker I certainly will .:)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All I know is that when bad feet made me slow down I started walking more with my head up, and suddenly realised how much I had previously been missing! Future plans will be for shorter stages with more time for 'looking about'.

Thats the way - Use your head and not your feet when you walk.:)

Buen Camino!

Hi Jimkaszynski

.........Once we get passed Laredo we will have to sleep in allergies. Buen Camino!

Don't you just love auto-spell-checkers?
Or maybe you're really not staying in albergues? Whatever ... don't let the allergies put you off .... ;)

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Or maybe you're really not staying in albergues? Whatever ... don't let the allergies put you off .... ;)

On this thread we have to have allergies, we are all "too slow to catch a cold"!!!!!

I too am a slow walker and wish to join the club! I saw every bench on the way as an open invitation to sit down, relax and enjoy myself – and as a side benefit I had no blister problems …
I only passed two pilgrims and they were visibly handicapped by foot problems. Hoping to go back and having another slooow camino, and sure that I will beat you Robertt,
annelise

Annelise, how often have I heard that boast! Realise that I do not smell the roses etc. I am a seriously competitive dawdler who prepares for his caminos by overeating while watching old Charles Bronson movies. I took four days just to get out of Le Puy, and I really couldn't say what I did all that time. These rose sniffers are just repressed sprinters, total non-professionals. I actually identify more with competitive sprinters, like the extraordinary Paco, who did the whole Frances in eleven days. (I wrote about him here: http://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/maragato-vespers/) Paco is serious, like me.

Well, I'm boasting again. Just remember, Annelise, that some of the nicest and greasiest churros in Spain are available alongside the covered market in Ponferrada. I don't normally give out tips to amateurs, but if you eat enough of those beauties, washed down with hot chocolate, it will definitely help your waddle. Worked a charm for me.

Rob

€60,-
I too am a slow walker and wish to join the club! I saw every bench on the way as an open invitation to sit down, relax and enjoy myself – and as a side benefit I had no blister problems …
I only passed two pilgrims and they were visibly handicapped by foot problems. Hoping to go back and having another slooow camino, and sure that I will beat you Robertt,
annelise
Thanks for such a overwhelming response to this thread, yes, the bench's are for us slow pokes, who are blister-less!
Maybe I should start a new group.."THE BLISTER-LESS GANG," I think I walked to fast for us slow walkers, my 500 mile walk, was only 56 days.

Thanks for such a overwhelming response to this thread, yes, the bench's are for us slow pokes, who are blister-less!
Maybe I should start a new group.."THE BLISTER-LESS GANG," I think I walked to fast for us slow walkers, my 500 mile walk, was only 56 days.

Maybe call it "The Blister-Less Pilgrim Snails" ;-)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Ha ha............... darn auto-spell-checkers............ bet one of the participants of the "bed race" has something to do with it.;)

Buen Camino!

I tend to average around 15 kms a day. I take my time - and hundreds of photos [see the web for locations]. I talk to every dog I see... and sheep and goats. And cows. I tell butterflies they're beautiful even if they're only 'common whites' and I have been known to hug a tree. I love the camino, and it seems to love me back. Yes, I've been overtaken by fast walkers who shout "Can't stop. Got to do 40 kms today!" and vanish around the next bend. Each to his own. He's happy. I'm happy.
Have a buen camino at whatever speed you enjoy!
I love this post! Makes me happy just reading it!

Annelise, how often have I heard that boast! Realise that I do not smell the roses etc. I am a seriously competitive dawdler who prepares for his caminos by overeating while watching old Charles Bronson movies. I took four days just to get out of Le Puy, and I really couldn't say what I did all that time. These rose sniffers are just repressed sprinters, total non-professionals. I actually identify more with competitive sprinters, like the extraordinary Paco, who did the whole Frances in eleven days. (I wrote about him here: http://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2011/05/25/maragato-vespers/) Paco is serious, like me.

Well, I'm boasting again. Just remember, Annelise, that some of the nicest and greasiest churros in Spain are available alongside the covered market in Ponferrada. I don't normally give out tips to amateurs, but if you eat enough of those beauties, washed down with hot chocolate, it will definitely help your waddle. Worked a charm for me.

Rob

OK, Robertt, I may take up your challenge here! I lingered in Pamplona for a couple of days (lovely town). Then hung around in Logroño as well, and I can assure you that their churros are of the very best.

I also grazed in Villafranca Montes de Oca for the whole of three days because I so much enjoyed the atmosphere and lovely food in the hotel San Anton Abad. Hmm. Just kind of hung around – nothing much else to do there.

– I then again lingered for a couple of days in Carrion de los Condes. – So no wonder I only reached Astorga before I had to head back again as my time had run out. I was at that time fit enough to tackle the upcoming stretches …

Annelise
- and being an elderly woman now, I do wish to take my time. I started with absolutely no ambitions and would have been ready to abort at any time, but I somehow caught onto the camino and carried my backpack for 480 km – much to the surprise of my sons …

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I must day that Annelise's rest days are impressive. Running out of time at Astorga shows some good form. Three days eating and loafing in Villafranca Montes de Oca...even I haven't done that (though I could, of course). None of this compares with my slime mould progress from Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo, but it shows some strong form. I should add that I have always been slow, so much of what I achieve is inborn talent. I attended Australia's most rugby mad school and was most frequently mistaken for a corner post rather than a participant. So I guess I've always had the foundation but I've built upon it very conscientiously. People who are slow because of age or injury are obviously second rung, but I do appreciate their willingness to compete. Age is helping a little now I'm 64, so my greatest days are likely ahead of me.
An awesome thought.

Robertt (not the corner post, okay?)

I think this is the best way to do this. Reading other forum posts, it seems to me that the new objective many people have is to get from A to B as quickly as possible, and secure a bed. It's almost as if the "competitive and must win at any cost" jock crowd has disovered a new challenge, setting a new "personal best" goal......"Yesterday I did 27kms, today I will do 33 kms, and tomorrow 39 kms".....these same people, when they return, will brag about how they did the walk in 21 days, but have that puzzled look on their face when other pilgrims ask what they thought of that scenic overlook, that church, that small cafe...all the places they zipped right past, iPod blasting the same songs they heard a hundred times, instead of the wonderful sound of silence, the wind, the birds...
When it's time for me to do my walk, I'm setting aside 60 days, maybe 90...

I am so relieved to find this forum!!! I am planning to walk my first Camino September/October 2014 and was hoping to walk 10 - 15 kms a day at the most. I want to enjoy every moment and I'm happy to leave the battling for beds to others. Of course everyone to their own, and some people have time limits ... but I'm very grateful that I have 3 months leave from work and I'm able to take my time.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am so relieved to find this forum!!! I am planning to walk my first Camino September/October 2014 and was hoping to walk 10 - 15 kms a day at the most. I want to enjoy every moment and I'm happy to leave the battling for beds to others. Of course everyone to their own, and some people have time limits ... but I'm very grateful that I have 3 months leave from work and I'm able to take my time.

Hello trish,

Do not care what other peregrinos think. This is your camino, you walk at your own pace. You are very fortunate that you have 3 months to enjoy the camino, the beautiful sceneries that you will encountered on your camino, to stop anywhere you like, etc. the camino is not a marathon. Other peregrinos have time limitation or financial consideration and are unable to really enjoy the camino. So in this case, you are the envy of many peregrinos. The battle for beds i personally feel is overstated. Of course there are only so many beds in each stage. But if you stay off stage from the one as recommended or mentioned by the guide books, you should not have any problem. The only time i have problem of finding a bed last year during my walk in may was in zubiri.

Anyway, good luck in your planning. Buen camino and god bless.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just my
Just my sort of speed too. So much to see as well as taking time to reflect and (for me) experience the presence of God along the Camino.

Welcome to the "SNAIL GANG," so many moments in life ....we enjoy everyone!

Welcome also from me! Great to see that the 'snail pilgrims' are growing in numbers. Enjoy your slow walk and treasure every minute of it! Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
About everyone being welcomed... what about someone (it maybe me) who feels they just have to bring some food from home so as not to starve? I am sure no-one does this but I am 70 and have a few idiosyncracies surrounding food - just basic stuff -so I am thinking I might have to.
I spent many an hour perusing markets and super markets for Peanut Butter in Spain... Finally found some in a big supermarket in Seville. Capitan Mani!
I'm with ya on the food thing.

Can I be in the club? I want to buy one way tickets and get there when I get there... And that's because in all my travels and such not I have NEVER under any circumstances not arrived somewhere even when it turned out to the middle of nowhere.... That's the beauty of it...

Welcome to the "SNAIL GANG," so many moments in life ....we enjoy everyone!

That is so true Jim, some of us are slower to respond than others but we do respond ……………. we must stay awake to each moment

I've been to the middle of nowhere on several occasions it's one of my favorite destinations. In fact I know of and use many short cuts to get there. My wife often thinks I'm lost when I take these short cuts but I've never been lost in my life. Confused, maybe, but never lost. :)

I've been to the middle of nowhere on several occasions it's one of my favorite destinations. In fact I know of and use many short cuts to get there. My wife often thinks I'm lost when I take these short cuts but I've never been lost in my life. Confused, maybe, but never lost. :)

You said so much in those few words....I had to read it twice, Now I understand! Follow your heart !!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back