• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

getting sick

Bob008

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2024
I've just finished the walk about a week ago, and hope my experience/mistake can be of some help to future pilgrims. I spent a day or two in Madrid before and after walking the last 100 km to Santiago. The night before I started the walk, I realized that I was feeling sick (sore throat, cough, headache, general weakness, etc.). However, I simply pushed on and stayed in private rooms. It was a lot more challenging than I had anticipated because of the sickness, but I still was able to walk the last 100 km in 5 days (instead of 4 days I originally planned) and was feeling somewhat better by the time I arrived in Santiago. After coming back to Madrid from Santiago the next day, I took the airport express bus to the Madrid airport and flew back home. Within a day after coming back home, I became very sick and had to stay in the bed for 5-6 days.
In hindsight, it seems this is what happened. I contracted a mild/moderate form of cold virus in the crowded buses/ subway in Madrid before the walk, and after the walk while in Madrid I then again contracted some respiratory virus, this time a rather virulent one. I noticed that people in the bus/subway were coughing without covering their months and practically no one wore masks. This one lady in particular on the bus was coughing loud frequently while having a conversation with her friend during the entire ride to the airport.
If I had been aware of the high probability of getting sick from riding public transportation in Spain, I would definitely have worn a mask (not any masks, but the N-95 mask) and may have used either taxi or Uber instead. Almost nothing seems more important than not getting sick immediately prior to starting the walk.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So sorry to hear this. It must be difficult to stay in bed when all you want to do is walk. Still, the description of your illness does not sound like a common cold to my pagan ears.
You may have been infected before you left for Spain. And felt a bit better in SdC because your body got some rest.

Did you take a self test for COVID in Madrid or at home?

If I had been aware of the high probability of getting sick from riding public transportation in Spain
Sorry to hear about your illness. I think that when we travel, especially across many time zones with lack of sleep, we are more vulnerable to infections. I'm not sure that the probability of catching something on public transportation in Spain is higher than being in any closed space with a lot of people - e.g. an airplane.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sadly, it appears many have learned nothing from COVID. If people around us are clearly sick and unwilling to protect those around them by masking, it becomes 100% incumbent on us to protect ourselves by masking. And to think someone else is responsible to keep us safe is now just proving naive.

A hard one but you did do your Sarria Camino. I think it is travelling elsewhere that can do this .. we have our own immunities, go to a different country with different strains and we can get hit.

Also, since the smoking ban on aeroplanes they have become a perfect place to catch a new bug - when smoking was allowed they recycled the air through the cleaners about every 30 seconds, so constantly really, but the system uses fuel. When the ban came in, to save fuel and therefore money, they dropped it to maximum once every three minutes, on some aeroplanes much less, so one sits in a container of shared bugs - which suggests, the bug kicking in some 72 hours later, that you probably caught your bug on your flight - oh, and probably shared it on your flight home ;)

Last edited:
A hard one but you did do your Sarria Camino. I think it is travelling elsewhere that can do this .. we have our own immunities, go to a different country with different strains and we can get hit.

Also, since the smoking ban on aeroplanes they have become a perfect place to catch a new bug - when smoking was allowed they recycled the air through the cleaners about every 30 seconds, so constantly really, but the system uses fuel. When the ban came in, to save fuel and therefore money, they dropped it to maximum once every three minutes, on some aeroplanes much less, so one sits in a container of shared bugs - which suggests, the bug kicking in some 72 hours later, that you probably caught your bug on your flight - oh, and probably shared it on your flight home ;)

Tend to agree @David . On my Camino last year I had about 22 hours flying with a quick stop in Dubai on the way.

Felt sick on arrival in Sevilla, and after a tele-consult with a local doctor (organised by the great staff at Hotel Simon) I was emailed a prescription for antibiotics. Didn't really start to feel 100% till about 2 weeks later, after additional assistance from Nurse L (a forum member and Spanish speaker) who helped me out at a Pharmacy and local Doctor.

On the way back? 2 months later. Guess what?

Sick when I got home. Same thing. Sore throat, chesty cough..........more antibiotics.

The perils of International travel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Anyone that thinks Covid is over is kidding themselves. A few weeks ago I felt under par and in particular struggled to read (if you remember back to the beginning eyesight was one of the symptoms)
Eventually it twigged and I tested finding it to be positive.
A few weeks later my wife also had the reading problems and again it was another bout. Mild but still there.
It is all around us as previous contributors have said take care. I will certainly be masked up in higher risk areas when travelling.

I get sick, “camino cough” every time during the first week. Usually lasts about 4 days. As soon as it starts (in the throat) I start booking private rooms. That said, bring enough nyquil for 4 days! Buen Camino…and feel better!

Last edited:
I bring time released Vitamin C 1000 mg tablets and take them religiously at home and on Camino. Never get sick even during flu season. I have recently returned home from completing the Camino del Sur and the Camino Madrid.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Back home now from my Camino with very, very mild Plantar Fasciitis (clearing off quickly with ice, stretching and rest) and a mild cold. I knew as soon as I got on the plane with people hacking around me that I would get a cold. It is so difficult to protect yourself from others who insist on travelling when they are ill. I hope you feel better soon.

I get sick, “camino cough” every time during the first week. Usually lasts about 4 days. As soon as it starts (in the throat) I start booking private rooms. That said, bring enough nyquil for 4 days! Bun Camino…and feel better!
You have reminded me of the old ‘shuttle cough’ generally picked up on the short hop from Scotland to London. Most folks succumbed to the bug festooned air in the plane

My husband worked for Boeing and this filtration explanation is not correct at all - the filtration system is run by a turbine (like a turbo charger in a car) at the front of the aircraft that draws in air which in turns generates its own electricity that assists to run lights, filtration system etc. Your air is constantly being filtered. The problems with aircrafts & germs is that you are in such close proximity with so many people over a long period of time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My daughter used to get a bad cold every time she flew long haul. But since the pandemic she masks up for every flight, and hasn't been sick.

I use Blis a series of mouth and throat probiotic lozenges that is an offshoot of research at Otago University.

I got on to it via an article about the All Blacks Rugby team, one of the most successful sports teams of all time. They travel frequently and need to arrive in top form so that they can perform to their potential.

In particular I use Blis K12 for my throat when I travel and since using it I have not had a post flight cough or bug.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just returned from Camino Ingles yesterday, and as usual when on El Camino I contracted upper respiratory infection - "camino cough" Luckily, I arrived in Santiago on Sunday and that is when my symptoms started. Scatchy throat, headache and then tons of nasal congestion. NOT covid - I just did antigen test 20 minutes ago. My suggestion is if you want to protect yourself wear a N95 mask especially walking around airport, and on take off and landing when HEPA filtration is not active. Do not expect others to wear a mask to protect you. If you need anything go to nearest pharmacy as they are extremely helpful. I once was able to obtain codiene cough medicine that was the only thing that helped a very bad cough. I also one time on my camino was able to obtain albuterol inhaler for severe wheezing (Bronchitis??) that ended my Camino Portuguese.
Bon Camino, Janice

Most read last week in this forum

My knee is not swollen but is really sore and I am thinking that I could try to find a place to recover, and am asking for ideas. I am currently in Zubiri. I can take a bus out of here to Pamplona...
There have been several threads recently about illness and safety on the Camino. I have been looking into travel insurance, as this seems to be a good idea and a reasonable precaution. I’ve...
I wasn’t sure where to post this so mods feel free to move it. This year I’ve had more than one person in my group complain because the pork they ordered was “raw” and they have sent it back to...
[Moderators, feel free to move this if I posted in the wrong place.] What does it take to be able to walk a Camino after a heart problem? I guess I will see for myself. Tomorrow morning I am...
Promised to take my daughter with me when doing the GSB on the Swiss/Italian border. She has been doing a lot of walking in preparation but now has terrible blisters. Searching the threads here...
Buen Camino all! I completed my first Camino a couple of weeks ago, from Valenca to Santiago, aprox 124km. Had the most fantastic experience and cannot overestimate how worthwhile it was. The...