• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Glad I did that...Wish I hadn't

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
As a member of the 2013 Class and a newbie I am Interested to hear some words of wisdom from previous Camino pilgrims. As I and others prepare for this special experience would you be willing to share your top few experiences as you reflect on:

Glad I did that - perhaps spending an extra day somewhere, stopping to visit a special place, taking a side trip, a great place to eat, special place to sleep, neat piece of equipment you brought or something totally different than what has listed here!

Wish I hadn't - similar to Glad I did that only the reverse!

Wishing everyone the very best in 2013!

Guy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gosh! The forum is so full of these little tips that your backpack would weigh 40kgs if you took them all!

Think what is important for you. Are you the kind of person who could sleep through a Motorhead gig or do you need a small and more peaceful room? What food do you like, and how receptive are you to unfamiliar food?

The kind if lessons I've learned are relatively minor. Taking a small torch, for example, so if you wake in the night you can make your way to the bathroom quietly/safely.

Every Camino is different and you always slap yourself on the head saying 'why did(n't) I do this, that or the other'. Maybe the weather wasn't what you expected, or the internet was down in a cafe when you needed to get in touch...etc etc! That's what makes every Camino unique and a challenge to be enjoyed and learned from....every time! :shock: Buen Camino!

I was Glad: - I took along a little bag of 'inspiration' on my first Camino- with songs, quotes etc. I used to use a few each day in my pocket, to bring out when I felt the need. I gradually discarded them as my Camino progressed so the little bag got lighter and lighter. (Interestingly, second time around I soon decided I didn't want or need them, and threw the whole collection in the bin."

I wish I Hadn't: - raced away from Santiago so quickly first time around. Second time around I stayed four nights and found plenty to see, and just sat and people-watched in squares etc. (OK, yes I was lucky with the weather!)

Margaret

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Glad I did that:The first time I walked up to a table of strangers (obvious pilgrims) and said "May I join your?" It was easy after that!

Wish I hadn't:Discussed religion/faith with an evangelical.

Thanks for some very helpful replies so far. The one that strikes home immediately is the comment about walking up to a table of strangers (pilgrims) and asking them to join them...and "then it was easy after that".

Walking alone (at least to start) and naturally uncomfortable in approaching a group I don't know this is a very good suggestion for me. I was also wondering about spending some extra time in Santiago...

Guy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
GuyA said:
Thanks for some very helpful replies so far. The one that strikes home immediately is the comment about walking up to a table of strangers (pilgrims) and asking them to join them...and "then it was easy after that".

Walking alone (at least to start) and naturally uncomfortable in approaching a group I don't know this is a very good suggestion for me. I was also wondering about spending some extra time in Santiago...

Guy

Guy...often the best way to break the ice along the way is to just have short conversations as you pass or when someone passes you while walking. That way you do not have to approach a group if that is uncomfortable. You will see the same people during the day and evening and become familiar with them. This is often the way the Camino groups among strangers are formed.

I am glad that I spent extra time in Santiago, especially on my first time camino. It allowed me to greet more of my friends who arrived a few days after me, as well as take in the sites of a very interesting city. It also allowed me to catch my breath and reflect on what I felt I had accomplished.
Next time, however, I will only stay a couple of days, instead of five, which btw, happened to include
rain every day. Also, if I had walked on to Finisterre, I probably would have only spent a couple of days in Santiago.

Walking in late autumn or winter I have often had to break real ice and/or plod through snow! (Read my latest FROSTY encounter here >> http://mscamino.blogspot.fr/2012_11_01_archive.html ). However whatever the weather outside during all my caminos I have ALWAYS said "Hola!" to fellow pilgrims within each albergue, introduced myself and even shaken hands with nearby bunk mates. Sharing smiles as well asking how their camino's going generally melted any residual personal ice.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Glad I did that - Walked both Spring and Fall, Walked from Lourdes, stopped to see the archaeological museum in Burgos, saw Eunate, ate next door to the Cowboy Bar, paid for bag transport last walk, slept in my screen tent on hot nights, decided to sell my pacer poles and use a wooden palo next walk, did NOT take electronics to keep track of, booked private lodging, spent time visiting the museums in Pamplona, split the first day from SJPP to Roncesvalles into TWO days.

Wish I hadn't - taken so much stuff, slept at Hornillos!!!, taken so many people in my group, taken my ex as a helper (remembered why he's an ex), stayed in Europe 5 months (waaaay too long), seen so many toilet paper piles along the Camino

falcon269 said:
Wish I hadn't:Discussed religion/faith with an evangelical.
Ha ha... I will bear this one in mind.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.