• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ground conditions - Camino Del Norte

mb4869

Time of past OR future Camino
April / May 2024 - Camino del Norte
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for the sheer amount of mud on the trail. Ankle deep in places with parts of the path washed away and in one part closed completely. My brand new Topo's were not fit for purpose.

Being the rainy season, this has got me wondering what the conditions are like at the moment on the Camino Del Norte, especially some of the coastal alternatives, and do i need to reconsider my footwear and purchase some gortex boots instead?

Updates from any Pilgrims on route would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Mark, that’s one of the great unanswerable questions. You’re asking about 500 odd miles of trail compared with 15 miles of the UK north-west coast.
My experiences of the Norte are of some horribly muddy bits, quite a lot of asphalt or other metalled surfaces and every available surface in between. I’ve always worn boots, Brasher for years and lately Scarpa, but I’ve always worn boots. You may set yourself up for some serious grief if you try to switch to Goretex boots with less than a fortnight to go. I think, if I was in your current circumstance, I would plan on taking some secondary footwear for evenings and rest days and figure on washing the Topos under a running tap and drying them overnight if they get caked. Take some extra socks

Buena suerte

Mark, that’s one of the great unanswerable questions. You’re asking about 500 odd miles of trail compared with 15 miles of the UK north-west coast.
My experiences of the Norte are of some horribly muddy bits, quite a lot of asphalt or other metalled surfaces and every available surface in between. I’ve always worn boots, Brasher for years and lately Scarpa, but I’ve always worn boots. You may set yourself up for some serious grief if you try to switch to Goretex boots with less than a fortnight to go. I think, if I was in your current circumstance, I would plan on taking some secondary footwear for evenings and rest days and figure on washing the Topos under a running tap and drying them overnight if they get caked. Take some extra socks

Buena suerte
Thanks for the info, most useful.
Regards
mark

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We each get different weather experiences walking the Caminos. I lucked out on the Norte and only experienced a few drizzles and no wet mud that lingered and sullied my trail runners. I wouldn't worry too much and @Tincatinker's makes some good points.
I wore trail runners and on the Meseta (on the Frances) had a half day of pelting rain. I watched as the water eventually squished out of the mesh tops for a few hours, but was surprised that I had no blisters as a result.

I have encountered some SERIOUS mud on the del Norte where logging recently occurred. Buen Camino
Yes, we had one particularly bad section a couple of weeks back on the Norte where some of the transport machines were on the path which was an incredible mess of mud and debris. Thankfully, the operators were on the lookout, and they stopped and allowed us to slog around the machines. Despite the fact we were wearing trail runners and got utterly caked in smeary mud, we made it work. I'm not sure any kind of footwear would have made it better. We got pretty used to rinsing off our shoes at end of day to make them semi-presentable for walking into a bar, supermercado, or other public place.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, we had one particularly bad section a couple of weeks back on the Norte where some of the transport machines were on the path which was an incredible mess of mud and debris. Thankfully, the operators were on the lookout, and they stopped and allowed us to slog around the machines. Despite the fact we were wearing trail runners and got utterly caked in smeary mud, we made it work. I'm not sure any kind of footwear would have made it better. We got pretty used to rinsing off our shoes at end of day to make them semi-presentable for walking into a bar, supermercado, or other public place.

Hi @tjz, may I ask where this was on the Norte?

Hi Mark
Irun to Bilbao is likely to provide a few of the muddiest sections, as we experienced March/April a few years ago. A couple of times we stopped and scratched our heads, working out how to get through a section, but that was all. There's still going to be a lot of asphalt and dirt/gravelly path walking each day.
My experience of Gortex shoes and boots is that they only work for a couple of hours in rain. And once they get fully submerged in muddy water, they eventually start to stink - and there's absolutely nothing you can do to purge the smell. Topos should work across the full range of conditions you'll find. I'd stick with them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Mark
Irun to Bilbao is likely to provide a few of the muddiest sections, as we experienced March/April a few years ago. A couple of times we stopped and scratched our heads, working out how to get through a section, but that was all. There's still going to be a lot of asphalt and dirt/gravelly path walking each day.
My experience of Gortex shoes and boots is that they only work for a couple of hours in rain. And once they get fully submerged in muddy water, they eventually start to stink - and there's absolutely nothing you can do to purge the smell. Topos should work across the full range of conditions you'll find. I'd stick with them.
Thanks Tom, i'll take your advice.

This might be the Camino trip where I make that switch from my beloved Scarpa GTXs to trailrunners…”might” being the operative word…

Hi @tjz, may I ask where this was on the Norte?
Sorry, my trail-addled brain has lost the exact spot, but it was somewhere between Gijón and the big turn inland at Ribadeo. Almost certainly the machines have moved on by this time. But as with all things Camino, it's best to be prepared for the worst any given day as things change all the time. All said, I'm sticking with my (Topo) quick-dry/breathable/no-gortex trail runners as the best overall compromise on anything from smeary globby mud to a day on asphalt. And I'll also have enough layers for anything from 0° driving snow to baking sun. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m 13 days into the Camino del Norte from Irun, currently in Santillo del Mar. There were mud patches on the forest trail portions, esp before Bilbao, but most of it was dry. I had to do some edging around and leaping at some spots. I’m wearing low-cut, “water resistant “ shoes, and I’ve had to wipe them off the sides, but never went totally under. Poles helped a lot. Worst section was coming down the ridge into Markina Xemein. It was raining and path down was one long mud chute, but not deep.
Things could be drier now though, or at least a little firmer. There hasn’t been a lot of rain, and there have been some very warm days.
If you’re nimble enough to step long to the firm spots and balance along the path edge occasionally then you don’t need waterproof hiking boots. If your preference is to tromp through the middle, then you want the boots, but you won’t be needing them very often.

I’m 13 days into the Camino del Norte from Irun, currently in Santillo del Mar. There were mud patches on the forest trail portions, esp before Bilbao, but most of it was dry. I had to do some edging around and leaping at some spots. I’m wearing low-cut, “water resistant “ shoes, and I’ve had to wipe them off the sides, but never went totally under. Poles helped a lot. Worst section was coming down the ridge into Markina Xemein. It was raining and path down was one long mud chute, but not deep.
Things could be drier now though, or at least a little firmer. There hasn’t been a lot of rain, and there have been some very warm days.
If you’re nimble enough to step long to the firm spots and balance along the path edge occasionally then you don’t need waterproof hiking boots. If your preference is to tromp through the middle, then you want the boots, but you won’t be needing them very often.

No, I don’t wear boots on Caminos - the road walking would be a killer. I wear low rise hiking shoes.

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for the sheer amount of mud on the trail. Ankle deep in places with parts of the path washed away and in one part closed completely. My brand new Topo's were not fit for purpose.

Being the rainy season, this has got me wondering what the conditions are like at the moment on the Camino Del Norte, especially some of the coastal alternatives, and do i need to reconsider my footwear and purchase some gortex boots instead?

Updates from any Pilgrims on route would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Hey Mark, I'm starting from Irun on 26/04. Might see you along the way đź‘Ť

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank Gary, thats super useful info from someone already on the trail. Buen Camino

GaryRobArms if you are still in Santillana del Mar and haven't done it yet, I recommend you walk or taxi 2 km south to the Museo Altamira. The 16,500 year old cave paintings will blow your mind. Buen
Camino
It was very good! You’re right, seeing how long humans have been in the area and how they lived is amazing. Museum very well done. I arrived in SDM with some aches and pains: thought about just resting all day, but your recommendation convinced me. Glad I did. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
GaryRobArms if you are still in Santillana del Mar and haven't done it yet, I recommend you walk or taxi 2 km south to the Museo Altamira. The 16,500 year old cave paintings will blow your mind. Buen
Camino
Great advice, ive made a note to check them out.

I've been known to wear my shower shoes to go through streams and mud. Then dry off and put my walking shoes and dry socks on.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.