Has the dog “policy” on the Camino changed?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Barbara

Veteran Member
Dec 5, 2005
France
Time of past OR future Camino
Since 2000 French and Spanish, bikes and walking
I’ve been in Le Puy en Valey less than 5 hours and have seen dozens of hikers with dogs.. I think it’s great but .. every book I read says it an “absolute NO” at any of the places to stay. Just curious???
They may even be local, of course. I have dogs and walk them but don't take them on holiday. They get a live in sitter. BTW, if you like dogs I am planning a few trips away and the French countryside is great for training walks! On one of the French Caminos, even.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
There isn't a no dog policy on Camino, as far as I'm aware. Certainly, many places offering beds for the night are not receptive to dogs. I think that is likely true on and off the Camino. I walked with a dog for a while on my Camino last summer. His owner certainly had more challenges finding accommodation, but he managed. Next I will hear that there is a no children policy.

wisepilgrim

Camino App Maker
Aug 27, 2009
Santiago de Compostela
www.wisepilgrim.com
Many
It is not an absolute no in many places, in fact enough places now take them that I make a specific mention of it in the guides. Last week on the Camino Francés I asked in one albergue if they permitted dogs and the owner replied that yes they do, before humans in fact, as the dog's never complain.

In nearly all cases though the dogs are required to overnight in a specific spot, or that the owner stay in a private room.

dick bird

Staff member
Feb 2, 2020
Sydney
2012, 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2024
Each albergue has its own policy. Most of them say no because a dog, or any non human animal, in a dormitory is clearly unacceptable. Some places may allow a dog to sleep in the yard or garden. The only exception is certified service dogs: they must be admitted by law.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Apr 4, 2007
Francese 2002, Cami San Jaume 2018, Norte 2023
There never was a policy-- the Camino only has one policy, that for the last 100km before Santiago, you must collect two stamps a day if you want a Compostela.

Market pressure is clearly creating more accommodation spaces for dogs and dogowners. The wisdom of taking dogs on the Camino stays the same. I have never thought that it was fair for the dog, but that's me.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
The wisdom of taking dogs on the Camino stays the same. I have never thought that it was fair for the dog, but that's me.
Particularly not on some of the less travelled routes where you may pass through pasture land with sheep and cattle. A nasty incident this week on the Via de la Plata when a pilgrim's dog scared cattle which then charged and badly injured two pilgrims including the owner of the dog.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
The OP is not walking (or cycling) on a Camino de Santiago in Spain but on the GR 65 from Le Puy. Doesn't this make a difference, isn't the infrastructure somewhat different?

Asking for a friend who has not walked it yet but is considering it and recently bought the TopoGuide. :cool:

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: pelerine and SabsP

dbier

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2022
US
Last 114km C. Frances, Jul 21
2023 - C. Primitivo
Particularly not on some of the less travelled routes where you may pass through pasture land with sheep and cattle. A nasty incident this week on the Via de la Plata when a pilgrim's dog scared cattle which then charged and badly injured two pilgrims including the owner of the dog.
Oh, was an uncontrolled dog the proximal cause of the injuries to the two pilgrims we heard about earlier?

That's a very painful lesson. :/

Reactions: ChrisMayou
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!

LTfit

Veteran Member
Mar 6, 2010
The Netherlands
It is not an absolute no in many places, in fact enough places now take them that I make a specific mention of it in the guides. Last week on the Camino Francés I asked in one albergue if they permitted dogs and the owner replied that yes they do, before humans in fact, as the dog's never complain.
That reminds me of a café on a small plaza in Sahagún. I asked the owner if my dog was allowed in and he replied, "no problem, dogs behave better than most humans".
In nearly all cases though the dogs are required to overnight in a specific spot, or that the owner stay in a private room.

At times in the boot room (in the old days in the muni in Nájara) or in a sheltered space outside. If your dog is a house dog that option usually doesn't work, at least that was my experience.

I walked a week on the Norte with my previous dog and finding accommodations was in my opinion not worth the hassle and lack of spontaneity, and more expensive as I needed to book a private room. I was lucky to find hostales for €15-20 but when calling I always mentioned that I had a small dog which I believe helped. All the other dog owners I met were sleeping in tents.

Great to hear that some albergues are now more pet friendly but I guess that's more on the Francés than on other routes.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
Each albergue has its own policy. Most of them say no because a dog, or any non human animal, in a dormitory is clearly unacceptable. Some places may allow a dog to sleep in the yard or garden. The only exception is certified service dogs: they must be admitted by law.
The right to access for guide dogs and other assistance dogs is governed by the Autonomous Communities, and while the rights for guide dogs is universal, it appears not to be the same for all assistance dogs. See https://perrosguia.once.es/legislacion/derecho-de-acceso-1 for discussion on this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Ivan_Prada

Apr 2, 2019
Pembroke Pines, Florida. USA
Francés-(septiembre 2018)
Portugués-(en planes)??

And that answer brings into this notice in a hotel:

1715119345691.png

Here is the translation:

Dogs are welcome at this hotel. We never had dogs that smoked in bed burning the sheets. We have never had a dog steal our towels or turn the TV on at full volume or get into a fight with his roommate. We never had drunk dogs that broke the furniture. Therefore, if your dog vouches for you, you are also welcome.

Buen Camino,

Iván
1715119345691.png

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Sep 19, 2011
brooktondale, ny
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
The OP is not walking (or cycling) on a Camino de Santiago in Spain but on the GR 65 from Le Puy. Doesn't this make a difference, isn't the infrastructure somewhat different?

Asking for a friend who has not walked it yet but is considering it and recently bought the TopoGuide. :cool:

Yes, France is generally friendlier to dogs. While walking the Chemin (2017), I met up with some friends who were camping with their dog in Sauges. We had dinner at a restaurant and brought the dog along. The only thing we were asked was "is the dog in heat?". She wasn't and the owner gave us a table and brought the dog water.

Barbara

Veteran Member
Dec 5, 2005
France
Since 2000 French and Spanish, bikes and walking
I once did a walk in France with a dog and a donkey. Not even my dog, his owner was on holiday. Sometimes the dog got to stay in my room, sometimes in my tent, and often in the stable with the donkey. Sometimes all three of us were in the stable. We all had a great time. Just don't expect a donkey to be allowed in your room.

Margaret Butterworth

Jun 16, 2014
Perth, Australia
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
I have just returned home after a month touring Andalusia. It struck me that there are far more pet dogs in Spain than there used to be. I stayed exclusively in hotels. One place allowed dogs in certain rooms on the ground floor, but I noticed that the owners were not allowed to sit in the main dining room, but in a sort of annexe at the back.

Reactions: Ivan_Prada

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...
Hi there, I will be walking Camino Primitivo soon and I still have some questions that you could maybe help me to answer. As I would like to avoid to bring unnecessary things with me. 1. I do...
A nice warm soak eases tired bones, and I was just wondering if there are any Thermal Spas along the Camino Frances

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.