• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Heavy Rain in Seville (and Spain in General)

hotelmedicis

Commercial Interests
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2001, 2017
VDLP 2013, 2018
We knew that March was wet but they just announced that Seville received 138mm of rain in March which is almost FOUR times the normal amount of precipitation for that month.

Andalucia in general had the worst rainfall in 60 years for the month of March.
http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/ ... andalucia/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-0 ... nfall.html

More rain is on the way so anyone setting out on the Via de la Plata (or any other route for that matter) should keep this in mind when packing rain gear.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stopped by the Amigos del Camino de Santiago de Sevilla last night and they said the stage between Santiponce and Guillena is flooded. They recommended that after you pass Italica you come to the N-630 roundabout. You need to take N-630 north instead of the normal path at this point. Stay on N-630 for several kilometers until you come to A-462 that will take you into Guillena. I'll be taking that route tomorrow when I set out.

Good luck, bsewall. There will soon be a bunch of forum members working their way north along the Vdlp. I sincerely hope that the weather patterns change -- it seems like the entire peninsula continues to be located under a firmly stalled rain cloud.

There are a number of stages before Zafra that even in the best of circumstances involve fording streams or marshy wetlands. Hope you are able to find up to date information and advice on alternatives just as you did today with the route into Guillena.

All the best to you, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife and I arrived in Seville last Friday and I can say the rain has stopped. The past weekend was sunny and dry though this afternoon (Tuesday ) we had some light rain. The forecast for the rest of week and next week is sunny and dry.

I have heard the route out of Seville is flooded in a number of places including the first stage and the stage out of Monesterio.

Does anybody have any further updates about the current conditions from Seville to Zafra and beyond?

Thanks

Thank you, jirit!
I hope the sun stays out now too!
I was beginning to get pretty worried.
Hopefully in a month, things will dry out.
Buen Camino and thanks for keeping us updated!
I hope your wife's knee heals quickly and you're able to walk.

The Camino trail Pilgrim near Barbadelo is closed due to flooding.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
sillydoll said:
The Camino trail Pilgrim near Barbadelo is closed due to flooding.

Barbadelo? Is that near Sarria?

Yes - about 7km from Sarria. This is where the Los Caracoles group will be starting the Camino on 14th May. I hope it stops raining by then!

Thanks

Have you heard any news about the weather/route conditions along the via de la plata?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola Jirit and others about to start. I googled the current weather forecasts for Salamanca - today and for next 10 days.. It looks ok - but a bit cold, possible showers later in the week - daily maximums around 10-15 C. For the week starting 13 April they are forecasting 7 sunny days, but still nothing over 16C until you get to 20 April when it will be between 20-23.
Also with Spain now on summer time - sunrise is around 7.50 am (by 18 April sunrise will be 7.40 am), so if you are starting early (next week or so) you might need a head-torch/flashlight in the alburgues.

here is the link:
http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Salam ... on/ES.aspx
:)

This rain thread leads me to a question I was going to post separately (and probably will still do so). So should I include my gaters? I have a short pair (mid-calf) which are really designed to keep grass and small stones out of my walking shoes and to keep my trekking pants a bit cleaner. Thanks in advance. :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I find gaiters useful. Others do not. I think the short ones are fine; they save a bit of weight, but still do the job.

Anybody planning to start the via de la plata from Seville should expect sunny and hot days. At least it has been this way for the past week with the day time temperatures hitting 30 degrees.

Now in Merida and the temperature hit 30 and it is expected to stay in the high 20 for the next 2 weeks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So that's why our drought has broken and we've had rain for a couple of days down here in NZ!

This sun and hot weather is good news but I think it will take a little while for the surface water to dry. Extremadura is soaked, the water can't drain away it will have to evaporate, hopefully that won't take too long. The cows were standing up to their knees in water and that was in fields!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

One reason for me choosing the VDLP is to avoid the constant stress of the bed race on the busier routes. Alas I haven’t escaped it. Literally every bed (that I’m able to contact) is full from...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...
(Live on the Camino, but I don't know how to post with that tag) The Camino Sanabres winds through small stone villages and along vast green pastures rimmed in stone walls. Sometimes you walk on...
Be careful when you organise a transfer from the Arca de Caparra (Via’s emblem) to one of the three hotels in Jarilla. The guide books we are using state that you will be picked up at ARCA DE...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back