• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Pole Rehoming Service?

MRLeBlanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo: May 13, 2024
Just curious as to whether there is a rehoming service for hiking poles on the Camino since many airlines don’t allow them as carryons?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just curious as to whether there is a rehoming service for hiking poles on the Camino since many airlines don’t allow them as carryons?
Sort of...Pilgrim House and Ivar both take used poles in Santiago. Some people may also leave at the Pilgrim office. There is really no way financially feasible way to transport them back to where people might be buying them at the beginning of the journey and if there were that might really annoy vendors who sell them to pilgrims new...

This topic has come up several times. To summarize, its not an economic model that works.
I spent a fraction over 11 euro to mail my poles and a lightly used guidebook back to the municipal albergue in Oviedo where I started, with a donation note. Consider doing the same, or send to a pilgrims information office in your starting (Spanish) city, if one exists.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm looking to pick up a pair of poles in Madrid - May 17, 18 or 19 if anyone is carrying some around and wants to recycle them. I will be arriving at the airport mid afternoon of the 17th and staying in midtown Madrid for the 18 and 19 and heading to Oviedo on the train on the 20th.

I'm looking to pick up a pair of poles in Madrid - May 17, 18 or 19 if anyone is carrying some around and wants to recycle them. I will be arriving at the airport mid afternoon of the 17th and staying in midtown Madrid for the 18 and 19 and heading to Oviedo on the train on the 20th.
Good idea. My daughter and friend will be buying poles in Oviedo on the 15th of July and will be ditching them in Santiago or Muxia when finished. We will do the same and ask if there are any people who are interested in recycling.

In 2022 I started walking in Santiago, and was able to pick up some donated poles at the albergue where I stayed. I walked to Muxia and Finsterre, then Porto to Santiago again and left them at the same albergue. Sweet! All I need to provide was some pole tips.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I flew American Airlines yesterday out of Madrid.
My poles were allowed to be taken as a carry on!
I sourced wrapping materials from my hotel room.
I wrapped them with paper laundry bags from the Marriott.
Used a little duct tape. Then put 2 small clear plastic garbage bags over them.
I was surprised and very happy they didn’t confiscate them.

I flew American Airlines yesterday out of Madrid.
My poles were allowed to be taken as a carry on!
I sourced wrapping materials from my hotel room.
I wrapped them with paper laundry bags from the Marriott.
Used a little duct tape. Then put 2 small clear plastic garbage bags over them.
I was surprised and very happy they didn’t confiscate them.
Did you place them in the overhead bin?
How did you get them into Madrid - checked baggage?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.