• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel recommendations for pre-Camino stay in Bilbao

Sweetbaboo

Camino Francés 2012, 2017; Camino Portugués 2015;
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés 2012, 2017; Camino Portugués 2015;
In April, flying into Bilbao from USA with friend before starting Camino Norte. Staying a couple days before taking transportation to Irun and beginning our journey. Any suggestions? Prefer a hotel. This is my 4th Camino, first time Norte for my friend so we are not in a huge hurry just need a breather from the flight over.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, I can recommend Hotel Ripa for a basic no-nonsense budget hotel. On the river, close to the old historic centre. Safe area, walked back there alone late at night. Lovely walk from the hotel alongside the river to the Guggenheim.
The view from my window:
038.jpg

Lovely. Exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Without the view of Hotel Ripa, but a very friendly and affordable hotel just behind the Cathedral (dedicated to Santiago) is Estrella Ostatu (not sure about my spelling). We felt so at home there that we have been back twice!

And look out for the 'azuleos' (tiles) depiction of 'Guernica' near the old hospital if i remember rightly - unmissable piece of local history...

Most read last week in this forum

My group of six arrives in Irun on May 20 and we're starting our Camino on May 21. Since it's the beginning of the busy season, I'm wondering if we should order trekking poles from Amazon Espana...
On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.