• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Introducing TerryB

TerryB

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Norte/Primitivo (April/May) 2009: Norte/Primitivo (parts) (April/May) 2010: Inglés (May) 2011: Primitivo (April/May) 2012: Norte / Camino de La Reina (April/May) 2013: Camino del Mar / Inglés (May/June) 2015
Hi everyone,
My name is Terry, (Tio Tel will do as I am, I guess, old enough to be the father of most of you!).
I am hoping to walk El Camino Norte in May next year 2009. The first thing I plan to do in retirement! I have some Spanish as we lived for 7 years in Argentina. If anyone else is planning to walk then I would like to know.
Blessings on your walking
Tio Tel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Re: Introduction

Hola Nino :)

Welcome to the forum and very happy planning your pilgrimage. Please let us know how you are progressing. There is much information on this site and we hope it is useful.

Buen camino

Juan

Hi Oupa...welcome to the Forum!

As Johnnie Walker said...there's a lot here that will be of both practical and whimsical benefit to you as you plan your walk along the Milky Way.

Many of this year's Class of 2008 are very close to beginning their Camino and I'd suggest that you take a look at their thread "Class of 2008" to get a flavor of the conscious and sometimes unconscious machinations we have gone through in our planning.

Again welcome and

Buen Camino,

Arn

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks folks. i see Gary is planning the long haul from Canterbury to Santigo. I was not being that rash Thinking that Exeter to Plymouth, the ferry to Santander and onto the Camino del Norte would be a reasonable first time. Lots of planning and toughening up to do first - let alone finishing work and 'downsizing'.
Look forward to keeping in touch.

Tio Tel

TerryB said:
i see Gary is planning the long haul from Canterbury to Santigo.

No, if that's me, it's Gareth please... ("Gary" is a different name entirely! and I don't answer to it!)

Sometimes the short route might seem more achievable and therefore more attaractive, e.g. the Camino del Norte you are looking at from Santander. You may want to consider, however, that the infrastrcture on the Camino Frances makes it far easier to plan, gives you greater flexibility, and offers an overall richer experience.

Don't think distance. The kilometres just evaporate as you walk. Think quality. Think history. Place yourself on the route that connects you most readily with the tradition. That's my advice, make of it what you will!

Buen camino!

Sorry Gareth, my wife complains if her name is shortened to Val!
There are a number of reasons for me going for the Camino del Norte but distance is not one of them. The main one I guess is that I would rather spend some time away from what often sounds like a deal of pressure on accomodation etc. I have been involved in a people pressured job for the past 20 odd years and a quiet time with God and a few companions appeals.
There is also the historical fact of contact between the west country and the north coast of Spain. I have a certain amout of Spanish having spent 7 years in Argentina etc.
However I am still listening and have a year in which to make up my mind . . .

Terry

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

''Hi everyone,
My name is Terry,''

If anyone follows this string, I leave Exeter Cathedral on Tuesday 21st April 2009 to walk to Plymouth where I catch the ferry to Santander on Sunday 26th April.
If you want to know more my blog is at:-
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/ . If you wish to support Farm Crisis Network you can then follow the links as needed.

blessings on your walking
Terry

"what time do you leave the Cathedral? I really want to be there!
Jane"

Hi Jane (and anyone else!) I plan to attend the 8.00 a.m. Holy Communion at Exeter Cathedral on Tuesday and leave from the west door at 9.00 a.m. It may be a little later but it will not be before that time! I will then be walking the old coach road through Alphington, Shillingford and over Haldon hill to Chudleigh.

Terry

A selection of Camino Jewellery

I'll see you there, I guess you'll be the only pilgrim leaving the Cathedral so fairly easily recognisable :)

Buen Camino, Fr, Terry,
¡Qué Santiago te bendiga!

Thanks for sharing your blog.... I will be 'following' you as you walk....
Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I left Exeter Cathedral on 21st April following a moving Communion service and the Pilgrim Blessing from Bishop John of Plymouth. A few friends came to see me on my Way and two walked the first part of the journey with me. Thank you.
I, or my wife Valerie, will try to add more to the forum as I travel.
God bless you all,
Tio Tel

Attachments

• Terry-Cathedral.jpg
    Terry-Cathedral.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,389

TerryB said:
I left Exeter Cathedral on 21st April

Buen camino, Terry. It's a nearly a year since I set off from the west country and it's good to see you starting from there. Enjoy the experience. I'll follow your blog.

Gareth

Day 2 of my pilgrimage and I set off from my home church, having led the mid-week Communion service. Again friends, and my wife Valerie, came to support me and pray for me as I set off. Next stop the Guest House at Buckfast Abbey.
While I am away I will continue this thread myself when possible, or Valerie will update it for me. She says that as I am 'Tio Tel' she is 'Tia Valeria' so some posts will carry her name too. The photo is of us together on the church steps.
Walk safely
Tio Tel

Attachments

• Terry & Valerie B.jpg
    Terry & Valerie B.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,312
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

What a lovely photo!
We look forward to hearing of your experineces!
Buen Camino,

Day 3: A good walk to Buckfast Abbey where I received a warm welcome from the Brothers, who were expecting me. I joined them for a meal and for Vespers. The accomodation is excellent and they have refused to take a donation as I am a Pilgrim. I am moved by their generosity. Lauds at 7a.m. followed by breakfast and then on the road again.

Day 4: Another fine day for walking. I arrived in Ivybridge just after 2 p.m. and after leaving my rucksack at the inn went to explore the town. (I had booked ahead here as there is very little in the way of B&B near to my route) They serve evening meals so I am well fed again and looking forward to the last stage on the way to Plymouth. The weather could be wet tomorrow (Saturday 25th) so I may be glad of my poncho.

Tio Tel

We will keep this thread going between us, although not daily. Any further photos will go on Terry's blog, http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/, when it will let me!!
Tia Valeria

Saturday 25th - from Ivybridge to Plymouth, 20 km.
I was walking through Plympton, with my poncho in my hand, when I unexpectedly met an old friend who insisted that I went for a coffee with him and his wife. Good to meet up like that and have time to talk - and I missed the rain, which was torrential. Their church is thinking about a Pilgrimage in 2011. After refreshment and as the rain had stopped I walked to Marsh Mills roundabout on the outskirts of Plymouth and stopped for lunch in Sainsbury's café. Next rain came while I was in there (having fish and chips). Then on to Devonport and my overnight stop. As my host was out until early evening I went into the local Pizza shop for 2 hours! Thank you to them for letting me stay that long, although I did eat one of their 10" pizzas during that time. Helped to make up the 900 calories I had walked off and kept me out of the final downpour. So a dry day walking in spite of the weather. Thank you Lord
Tio Tel

Sunday 26th
Terry leaves on the afternoon ferry for Santander. Please pray that he has a calm crossing as he is not a good sailor. The ferry arrives at lunchtime on Monday and he hopes to walk to the 14.3km to Boo for the night. That might depend on what sort of crossing he has had!
Tia Valeria

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you all for the encouragement and prayers. Terry phoned from Plymouth to say he is now on the ferry and she was due to sail on time. Hopefully he will meet up with Tim from Lincolnshire who is also sailing to Santander, but then heading east to start his pilgrimage. I have pursuaded the blog to take some photos and Terry hopes to e-mail others occasionally. Otherwise I will be relying on texts by mobile to update his progress. We didn't want to plan technology and seeking of internet access into his pilgrimage.
God bless you all, especially those who also start their Camino in the next few days.
Tia Valeria

Terry sent a text at 13.15 (Spanish time) to say he had arrived safely. He was planning to have lunch and then walk some way out of Santander, so his crossing can't have been bad.
At the Communion service in Chudleigh last week Terry spoke of the healing of blind Bartimaeus and how he followed Jesus (Mark 10 v.46-52). The Greek word used means 'road' or 'Way' - Bartimaeus became a follower of the Lord. As Terry walks with the Lord 'along the Way' during his Camino he will be praying for our farming community and for farmers worldwide. A particular concern which he carries in his heart.
Walk safely in the Way
Tia Valeria

PS: 18.25
Terry has reached BĂło and is staying in the hosterĂ­a there tonight. More on the blog, which now has some more photos on the older posts.
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Today (Tues) has been very windy, but not wet while walking from BĂło to Santillana del Mar.
We stayed in the 'Camping' above the back of the village many years ago, looking down over it.
(We made our first journey to Compostela from here, and that is where the dream of walking began. It has taken 15 years to come to this point.)
Terry is in the albergue at Santillana, the Arco Iris. He had his meal with the very friendly hospitalera there, 'en familia'. Chatting happily in Spanish.
He says today's distance was long (29km)and hard work . He chose to go round the long way (extra 11km) rather than along the lines over the railway bridge. To quote "all the world was going that way, but me, No!"
For me it is good to be able to visualise where he is. There is a sense in which I am on the Camino too, even though I am not walking with him physically. Here our new series of Bible studies started tonight - and we are studying St John's Gospel. Terry has chosen to read and meditate on this Gospel as he walks. As we prayed for him it was good to know that we are all looking at the same part of God's Word over the next few weeks.
Walk with God
Tia Valeria

Santillana to CĂłbreces, via Novales
Wednesday 29th
I am not sure if this was exactly the planned route as Terry lost the Way in some road works. He had lunch at Ciguenza near Novales. He has now reached CĂłbreces where he has a bed in the Abbey for the night. At 15.35 he was going to look for some Coca Cola. Vespers at 18.45.
Does the Way go through Novales, or round by the coast through Toñanes :?: If so he strayed in Caborredondo maybe. Could some-one with the guide tell me please, I only have a map here at home.
Tia Valeria

Hola Tia,

According to my guide, the way goes through Novales. Tio was on the right track! Although, personally I went by Ciguenza, which is a little shorter.

Tio should enjoy Cobreces with its lovely church.

Cheers,
Jean-Marc

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Canuck wrote
According to my guide, the way goes through Novales. Tio was on the right track! Although, personally I went by Ciguenza, which is a little shorter.
Thank you for that Canuck.
Terry sent a text to say that he got lost near Camping Santillana. There are new roadworks there. He had to climb up the side of the new cutting and then was able to find an old yellow arrow on a wall at the top.
I am glad that after that he was on the right track.
Tia Valeria

CĂłbreces to San Vicente de la Barquera
Thursday 30th
15.40: Terry has reached San Vicente de la Barquera, 24km from CĂłbreces. There is another 'desvio' round roadworks on this stretch too, but it doesn't seem to have been a problem, just adds extra kms. In Comillas he met up with a young German pilgrim, called Sven, and they walked together into San Vicente.
Terry is staying in the albergue in San Vicente and has found an internet café. The sun is shining after a damp morning, and all is well. By 17.30 he had washed, and dried, all his clothes and powdered his boots ready for tomorrow. (Sven went on to Llanes)
We managed a short phone call. He is halfway (in kms walked) from Exeter to Oviedo. He hopes to make Oviedo for next weekend and will then decide which route to take. At present the snowline is down at 900mts where the path is at over 1000mts, so he may re-trace his route on the FEVE and walk along the coast.
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

I have 3 photos from Terry which I have added to the blog.

San Vicente to Colombres. 19.24km
Friday 1st May. 15.05:
Terry is here for tonight. Busy cleaning his boots which are muddy after last night's heavy rain.
However by 19.00 he had dried them out well and had his clothes hung out to dry too. Although damp this morning it was warm and dry this afternoon. Two cyclists have joined him in the albergue tonight. He hopes to get to Llanes tomorrow, and for the first time is trying to book ahead for a bed because of the Bank Holiday.
Have a good weekend
Tia Valeria

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Colombres to Llanes: 22.6km
2nd May: 15.35
Terry has arrived in Llanes where he is staying in the Gran Hotel Paraiso for two nights. A 'camino experience' he got the only free room :!: and he might mean in Llanes not just the hotel !! as the place is 'heaving'
He sent a text saying "booked in paradise for 2 nights - without Eve". :lol: I am not sending any apples!!
An easier walk today with very good weather. The Picos are covered in snow with the snow-line very low.
A rest day tomorrow before continuing towards Oviedo on Monday. He hopes to reach Oviedo for next weekend. If the forecast is good he will head towards Lugo rather than return to the coast.
Tia Valeria

" Halfway from Santander to Oviedo, 211km walked (from Exeter to here). Only 250 or so to go. Que Camino!"
Tio Tel

New photos on the blog
I have just posted 5 new photos for Terry. A rainbow near CĂłbreces; the bridge on the old original camino, over the Rio Cabra, at El Campo; view from the coast path; and two of Llanes.
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/
Tia Valeria

Llames
4th May: 13:30
Arrived in Llames, 17km from Llanes, and staying here the night. There is a restaurant on the corner! Hoping to walk past Ribadesella and on to Leces tomorrow (Tuesday).
There is more about today on the blog.
God bless you all, especially those starting their Camino this week.
Tio Tel

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Llames to La Isla:
Terry has walked an amazing 32km today, past Leces to La Isla and is in the albergue there for the night. It has been sunny all day. He arrived at 17.00 and by 17.50 he had his washing hung out and was going for a drink.
There is more about today on the blog.
Tia Valeria

La Isla to Villaviciosa
22km
Terry has arrived here and is staying in the hostel. He has sent some more pictures and information which I have added to the blog. He says,
"There is one of a shrine on the old 'Camino Real' at La Vega where it comes off the
beach. Obviously the original 'way' and it still had paving in some places, in others holes full of mud!! Everything was closed at La Vega except for a small 'kiosko' where the young chap made me a sandwich! Cheese and choritzos in a loaf of bread!!"
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Villaviciosa to Pola de Siero
28.5km
Terry arrived here at 16.00. It was a hard walk up to the pass (400m) at La Campa. This morning was damp and there was mist at the top of the pass. From there the Way was along the road to Pola and much easier walking.
About 17.5 km to Oviedo and a rest day on Saturday. (As well as Sunday?)
Tia Valeria

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Oviedo
Friday 8th: 13.10
Terry has reached Oviedo and has been to visit El Salvador and the Cámara Santa.
He plans a rest day tomorrow and to walk on again on Sunday. He has walked the section this week (from Llanes) quicker than he expected, but will keep his 'spare' day 'in hand' in case he needs to take longer further along the Way.
A decision on the Lugo or coast option will have to be made early next week, but he still hopes that the weather forecasts and snow line will permit him to go via Lugo.
He sends his greetings from the Camino.
God bless you
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Grado
Sunday 10th May:
There is new information on the blog ( http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/ ) and some of the most recent posts have been updated with photos and more information.
Terry has been talking to the locals and says that in Asturias tourism is 60% down on last year and some places have closed down. Along the Camino it is better, but there are few peregrinos walking at present.
16.00: After a rest day yesterday Terry has reached Grado today, 26km. he says he is not a 'town' person and finds it easy to stray. He went twice round the Plaza de LiberaciĂłn on his way out of Oviedo! He is fine in the rural areas (following the way signs, his map, compass and nose).
Tia Valeria

Salas
Terry arrived in Salas at 15.30 in the rain. The albergue didn't appeal as it had nowhere to dry anything and he wanted to dry his wet weather gear and boots, so he has gone to the hotel. He himself kept dry (see blog) and is finding it is cheaper away from the coast. He thought the hotel looked expensive, but it has only cost him 15 euros, the same as the albergues were along the coast. (The albergue here would have been 5 euros). Distance of 25km today with two more diversions for road works.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Salas to Bodenaya - 12th May:
10.30am: Terry found a wonderful albergue in Bodenaya, just 7.5km from Salas. He has spent a very happy time there and says it is well worth visiting.
He was on the way to La Espina. He saw the albergue and the owner was on the road. They got talking and Terry decided to stay for the night as he liked the look of it. He says the albergue is lovely, all new and also 'donativo' only.
By 13.30 he had his washing done and hung out. After a fine morning the afternoon turned damp, so he took his washing inside. By supper time it was pouring with rain and his washing was in the drier!
19.00: The fire was lit and Terry was sitting in front of it with a glass of Vino Tinto. (Says it was good Arn)
20.15: Had supper, fideos and ensalada, which the hospitalero cooked. He will also get breakfast here before setting off again. his comment "I wish all albergues were like this" Certainly worth a visit and he was glad to be able to leave a generous donation.

Bodanaya to Tineo - 13th May:
12.5km
12.30 Terry has booked into the albergue in Tineo, big, clean and tidy. Salad and pizza for lunch, bread and chorizo tonight. (There are some new photos on the blog and some more as soon as I have processed them., including that elusive 'shell window'.)
This morning was fine, but the clouds are building up again this afternoon. The Way is nearly all track from Bodenayo to Tineo. There was some mud and water, but nothing above the laces on his boots. He has walked alone, but 4 other pilgrims have come into the albergue this afternoon.
His e-mail said "Tineo is good so different to Salas!" Terry says he would walk from Grado to Cornellana, then Bodenaya and miss Salas if he came this way again (he obviously was not keen on the place!).
He sends his greetings to the other peregrinos along the Way
Tia Valeria

thanks for keeping us updated on his progress. I've been away and just got back so I shall wander off and read his blog to catch up on all the news.

Tineo to Campiello
12km:
11.50: Terry is staying here in Campiello in a Casa Rural, which is very Pilgrim friendly. (He says it is in the book) The bar/shop, which is part of the casa, has a sign up 'Open 25 hours' ! He says it is like 'Open all Hours' - literally. If the owner is willing he will take a photo, so you might see it on the blog later. (This might mean next week!!)
13.30 He had his lunch in the bar, along with the local workers. Lunch was soup, steak and chips with peppers, bread and yoghurt and Vino Tinto. Elijah 'went in the strength of that food 40 days'. Terry, feeling more like a python, went for a siesta.
He had supper there and has spent the evening chatting to the locals. Breakfast and a later start (9.00am), aiming for Pola de Allande tomorrow. Terry says he is 'listening to the Camino'.
More on the blog, and new photos.
Tia Valeria

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Earlier this week Terry asked me to 'top-up' his funds to ensure he did not run low on cash. (The uses of a joint account) At Bodenaya he felt it right to be extra generous with his donation. At the time he did not know that a friend had just given me a gift towards 'Terry's needs', could I send it to him? I was able to tell Terry when we spoke on the phone last night.
Isn't God good in His provision for us!
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Campiello to Pola de Allande
12km
Up over 1140mts today.
13.30: Terry is now in Pola de Allande. He is staying in the hostal; bed and breakfast, with supper promised for tonight. The albergue in town opens tomorrow!
For lunch he had the 'menu del dia' - Prawn Soup. Interesting, but he wouldn't really recommend it! The prawns still had their shells on, and were floating around with the spider crab claws. Terry says he'll try anything once, but.........
He has walked over 400km since leaving Exeter and has 'only' 220km more to go to Santiago. He is beginning to believe that he can do it! He would like to reach Grandas de Salime on Sunday, 2 days hard walking, and then have a rest day on Monday. Hopefully there will be some more photos.
Terry continues to value your your prayers for determination and safety on The Way. Also for farmers, both here and in Spain, and Farm Crisis Network.
Tia Valeria

Pola de Allande to Berducedo
Saturday, 16 May 2009
20.5km
14.30: Terry arrived, and is in the albergue in Berducedo. The phone signal is very weak here, but he managed some news.
A very wet day, so a shower and dry clothes, then cooked some pasta.
The albergue is very good; 10 beds - all filled up by this evening. The heating was on and everyone's things were drying nicely.
Terry took a photo at the pass 1140 metres up, but the visibility was only about 50 mts. Asi es la vida!
Yesterday he said that the landscape and towns/villages of the past week have reminded him of Dartmoor, around Princetown and Two Bridges.
He is aiming for Grandas de Salime tomorrow and planning to stay in the hostal there for two nights. A rest day on Monday (and maybe the internet). Then only 3 possible stops before Lugo.
Tia Valeria

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Berducedo to Grandas de Salime
Sunday, 17 May 2009
20km
13.10: Terry is in Grandas de Salime and booked into the hostal, but can only stay for one night. He says the albergue here is no good, but there is a new one in Castro 6km further on. He wants to have his rest day here so has booked into the (only) hotel for Monday night. (35eu, low season rates)

Today's walk had to be on the road because of the weather. Very low cloud on the mountain tops made visibility too poor to use the tracks.
There are only 2 more stops before Lugo, as there are only 2 more albergues apart from Castro. They will be long days. I think he is aiming for A Fonsegrada and Cádavo.
Tia Valeria

Grandas de Salime: pop 1400 approx, and reminds Terry of Zennor in Cornwall.
Terry moved into the Hotel La Barra at lunchtime. When I sent him a text with the hotel and 4 pensiones he replied with "Wow; I didn't think there were that many houses, never mind places to stay"
He says it is cold but dry and his washing is out on the balcony drying. The Casa Cultural is closed (down? or for work on it?), so there is no internet except in the hotel, if you have your own laptop. Also closed on Mondays is the Museum, but Terry had a quick look round yesterday. They have a very good website at http://www.museodegrandas.com (you need to be able to read Spanish) with plenty of photos and a virtual tour.
Yesterday evening he had supper with three Italian pilgrims he had met in the albergue on Saturday night. They have gone on today as they need to be in Santiago this weekend.
Terry will walk to A Fonsegrada, about 28km, and up over 1030mts again tomorrow.
Buen Camino to all others walking at present.
Tia Valeria

Grandas de Salime to A Fonsagrada
28km
15.30 Terry is in Fonsegrada staying at the Hospedaje Cantabrico (20eu with bathroom).
There were many roadworks again, as earlier on the walk..
Keeping his priorities right he booked supper for 20.30, then went for a shower.
There is internet here so he sent the following e-mail, and some more photos for the blog.
( http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/ )
Tia Valeria

" Walked with my shirt sleeves down today because the sun was so hot - enough breeze to be comfortable.
Frogs!!! dozens of them making such a din! I wondered what the noise was and then saw the pond!

Old Fonsagrada would have been a hilltop fortified town. Nothing left to see but the fact that the ground falls away all round.
If anyone is walking the Primitivo they need to be aware that there are many road works between the border pass (Asturias /Galicia) and Fonsagrada, so much so that at one point I had to walk round the hot tarmac which they were spreading across the "Camino". - didn't want to burn my boots. When they have finished the camino will run alongside the road as shown in the 'Fonsegrada' photo. It is even railed off so that you can't fall over the edge. Doesn't have the feel of the old track which goes over fields and moorland.
Old Camino kept to the high ground because the valleys were full of trees and bandits! It does mean that to cross streams etc. there is a steep drop down and then an equally steep pull back up the other side!

In Fonsegrada the internet is all new equipment - about 20 sets!! Paid for by EU.
Buen Camino peregrinos
Tio Tel"

€60,-

A Fonsagrada to Cádabo
24km
16.00: Terry has gone into the hotel in Cádabo - supper in the bar. He says the albergue is OK but a bit cramped. Very hard going to day; the path is washed out in places and all big stones and water.
Especially bad for the 6kms between A Lastra and Cádabo. He needed his pilgrim's staff for support as it was very slippery, and said it takes extra time because of the care needed. It is narrow and there is no way round it.
He has met up again with three French pilgrims he saw in Grandas. Lugo (DV) tomorrow and then, as he is ahead of his expected timing, a 3 night break to look around Lugo itself. He does not want to arrive on the outskirts of Santiago before Saturday 30th, when I will be able to meet him. Then he plans to walk into Santiago for Pentecost.
Walk safely,
Tia Valeria

Cádabo to Lugo]
31 km
16.00: Terry is the Hotel España, Lugo. The Roman walls are wonderful. The only complete Roman walls in Europe! He is so pleased to have arrived here 'early' and will stay until Sunday. Plenty of time for a rest and to look round.

He feels so sorry for 3 pilgrims who injured themselves yesterday on the bad section of track - twisted ankles and knees. He saw them this morning hobbling to catch a bus as they had to be in Santiago on Sunday. So sad when they had managed the earlier rough sections of the track. Terry said he himself was walking like a little old man, depending on the support of his pilgrim's staff to avoid slipping.
Walk with God and walk carefully,
Tia Valeria

Lugo
Terry is enjoying being a tourist for 2 days and exploring Lugo, particularly the Roman walls. He has sent some photos, so I am busy getting them ready for the blog. I will add them, then edit this accordingly. (Done!)

TerryB said:
Lugo
Terry is enjoying being a tourist for 2 days and exploring Lugo, particularly the Roman walls. He has sent some photos, so I am busy getting them ready for the blog. I will add them, then edit this accordingly.
I love Lugo as well! The old town inside the walls is much like old town in Santiago, but tourists!

I hope he enjoys it, send greetings to him from us.

Saludos,
Ivar

Ivar wrote:
I love Lugo as well! The old town inside the walls is much like old town in Santiago, but tourists!
It's OK Ivar. Terry's idea of 'being a tourist' is doing much the same as on his whole pilgrimage. Walk with God, talk to the locals and look at the view. In this case the view is the Roman walls etc. There are photos of the walls on the blog now.

Terry has two stamps in his Pilgrim passport from Lugo. One from the hotel and the other from the Cathedral. The Warden of Pelegrinos took him for coffee and cake, he was delighted to meet an English priest. He said it was an achievement to have walked the Camino Primitivo which was a great encouragement to Terry.

I go out to join Terry next week, we will meet in Santiago on Saturday afternoon (DV). Please pray for us both as we travel in our different ways.
God bless you all.
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Terry has sent this unusual photo, taken near Castroverde with the sun behind him. One has to say 'is he a shadow of his former self?' Not if you have been reading his blog and the types of meal he has enjoyed! :)

More photos on the blog for 'Lugo', and there will be two for 21st May post 'Cádabo to Lugo'
Terry walked round town this morning and was glad as by this afternoon it was thunder and rain again. He leaves tomorrow for the last stretch of his pilgrimage and will probably reach Santiago on Saturday.
He sends his greetings to all others who are walking at this time.
As ever, walk with God and walk safely.
Tia Valeria for Tio Tel

Attachments

• Terry's shadow.jpg
    Terry's shadow.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 571
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Lugo to Mosteira (Ferreira)
27km:
14.00: Terry is at the Casa da Ponti tonight after a relatively easy walk - no mountains.
Only 23km tomorrow, all being well, to Melide and the Camino Francés. Then he will slow down, to enjoy the countryside, before reaching Santiago on Saturday.
The phone signal here is very poor, so even texts are difficult today.
Tia Valeria

Ferreira to Melide
Terry is walking on to the Camino Francés today following the Roman road, as he did yesterday. He then expects to stop at Arzua, Pedrouzo, Arca and monte de Gozo before reaching Santiago on Saturday. He will go to the Pilgrims' Mass either Saturday or Sunday, depending on what time he arrives.
He has sent some more photos, which are on the blog. He also says that there is a new albergue at San Roman de Retorta which sleeps 12.
I leave for Spain tomorrow (Tuesday) so unless we can find an internet café there will be no more news here for a few days.
Our daughter will try to keep the blog going, using text messages from Terry.
http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com
God bless you all and thank you for your prayers.
Tia Valeria

Just to 'sign off' from the Camino thread as I arrived back in the UK yesterday by ferry from Santander to Plymouth. I will be posting reflections on my experience on my 'blog' along with other photos as appropriate! I still have to look through and name some 600 photos. taken over the 5 weeks in the Way. I also need to work through my 'diary' of the diversions and misdirections I found. If anyone needs an urgent response to this please let me know as The English Confraternity Pilgrim Guides are now very 'dated' in places.
I can say that I had so much help from so many people that I have been overwhelmed by the experience. I can also say that apart from the medical kit, the equipment and clothing I took was all used and found to be up to the task. Having got my rucksack down to 7 kilos + water I was not short of anything. I will post a list of what I took at the appropriate place. Again, if anyone wants help or advice please let me know.

Thank you all so much for your encouragement and support!

walk well and safely
Tio Tel

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

A final photo for this thread (others will go on the blog), taken at the foot of the Cathedral steps on Saturday 30th May. We went to the Pilgrims' Mass together next day, Pentecost Sunday. Wonderful!
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Attachments

• re-united.jpg
    re-united.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 397

Lovely to see this photo of the pair of you. Thank you for sharing it! 8)
Margaret

Good to see that you made it!

The photo must have been taken a few days ago, since today it has been poring down... had two Danish women in the office today, they were soaked to the skin.

Slaudos,
Ivar

€60,-
Re: Introduction: Lugo

Hi,

When in Lugo, I use to take dinner in the Manger Restaurant, just crossing all the old part of the city from the albergue. So, it's really pleasure to enjoy their cuisine (at menu prize) and discovering the inside of the roman walls, and the cathedral, and ... Yes, I have to return there.

Buen Camino, and give my best wishes to the hospitalero, Jose Antonio ... a good friend ...

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

This is so informative! Thank you.
That slippery-skiddy 6k stretch sounds dicey, and the three injured hikers. Is that a particularly rough stretch that is always a problem, or was it something about the weather/timing?
Ann

anngw said:
That slippery-skiddy 6k stretch sounds dicey, and the three injured hikers. Is that a particularly rough stretch that is always a problem, or was it something about the weather/timing?
Ann
Hi Ann,
The bad length of path near Cadavo was caused by a stream having diverted itself down the track. It really needed piping underneath. however the weather had been extremely wet for a few weeks previously and I would expect that in summer / autumn there would be no problem. I managed O.K. with a stout staff, those with ankle problems did not seem to be carrying staffs or walking poles :shock: A mistake on the Primitivo where there are some rough sections, wet or dry.
Have you had a look at this slide show? -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peregrina0 ... 9867/show/

And a discussion about the stretch in question is here:-
camino-primitivo/topic6274.html

Blessings on your preparation
Terry

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am new here..

Hola everybody, I am Francisco J. Garcia from the north of Mexico, I am planning to walk my first camino and will be Camino Frances this september 2010..Any advice? who can help me with the historical weather forecast for september?

Thank you.

Hi Francisco,
If you ask your question about a forecast under "Pilgrim topics relating to all routes" - subheading "weather" you should get a reply! I would guess the Spanish weather sites would have long range forecasts :?:

Terry

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Re: I am new here..

Francisco J. Garcia said:
Hola everybody, I am Francisco J. Garcia from the north of Mexico, I am planning to walk my first camino and will be Camino Frances this september 2010..Any advice? who can help me with the historical weather forecast for september?

Thank you.
Moderator Peter Robins has a reliable and not so complicated weather site: http://pilgrim.peterrobins.co.uk/santiago/weather.html

By clicking the month and area you get a good overlook what the weather could be like depending on when/where you are starting.

annie

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back