• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Irún to San Sebastián first day

pmozen

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
hello
We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Impossible to say how long it’ll take you as everyone walks at different speeds. However, it is possible for a reasonably fit walker to make that distance in one stage, especially if you walk more of the roadway paths versus the more meandering and up/down coastal portions.

hello
We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and buen camino
Hii,
It's just under 25km.
I can't say how long it takes to walk this distance. I would say , just begin your walk and see where it brings you.
Buen Camino 🙏🏻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
it's a long time since I did it, but back in the day, Irun-San Seb was the standard stage that people walked. I think we set out about 8 and got in about 3.30-4pm (in March) - to the albergue 'Juvenil' which is right at the very far end of San Seb. So that's about 26km
I'm not sure I fully get what Vacajoe is saying above. The main portion of the walk involves the famous Jaizkibel mountain. The more direct route is along the top, which is stunning on a clear day and a highlight of the Norte. It is easy walking after a short steep (but not technical) ascent. The alternative (and shown now as the official route on Gronze) is a flatter car-wide path at a lower level, running beside the hill, but it meanders and is actually a bit longer.

Last summer it took me 7hr and 5 min to complete this section. I think that time includes stopping for lunch. I walked the ridge line section of this trail.

Your results may vary.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2019, I walked the route along the dirt road from Irun to San Sebastian (not the Alpine trail). The stage was not too difficult until after the ferry. Walking up those stairs was difficult but I did it. I got to San Sebastian mid afternoon. I was tired but fine. I was in my mid 60's, and hadn't really trained well. But that's just my experience. As you can see, we're all different. In any case, Buen Camino!

it's a long time since I did it, but back in the day, Irun-San Seb was the standard stage that people walked. I think we set out about 8 and got in about 3.30-4pm (in March) - to the albergue 'Juvenil' which is right at the very far end of San Seb. So that's about 26km
I'm not sure I fully get what Vacajoe is saying above. The main portion of the walk involves the famous Jaizkibel mountain. The more direct route is along the top, which is stunning on a clear day and a highlight of the Norte. It is easy walking after a short steep (but not technical) ascent. The alternative (and shown now as the official route on Gronze) is a flatter car-wide path at a lower level, running beside the hill, but it meanders and is actually a bit longer.
It was a tough stage for me when I walked it but very doable. Those stairs after the ferry really pissed me off hahaha.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did it about 10 days ago. I actually started next door to Irun in Hondarribia. According to my Garmin GPS watch, it was just under 25 km. There was 1,060 meters of ascent and 1,044 of descent, on the high ridge alternative. Some of the terrain is steep and rugged. It is likely drier now, but there were some muddy sections that required care to avoid wet feet.
With breaks for a couple of meals, photos (views are spectacular), etc it took me 8 hours elapsed. According to the watch, I was actually moving for 5 hours of that. My average moving speed on the flat with full pack is 5.5 kph, but with all the up-and-down I could only manage 5.0 kph on this section.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
We did the ridgeline route in 2022 in our 50s/60s and reasonably fit. We were not in a hurry and it was one of the best 8 hours and 51 minutes of my life. 😁

Last edited:
I'm not sure I fully get what Vacajoe is saying above.
Happy to explain. There is actually a road you can follow out of Irun to the Palais ferry that runs at the base of the mountain or a dirt road that runs about halfway up the mountain - both of these are easier and a bit faster (though not necessarily shorter) than the ridge path. The ridge is fabulous in good weather, but the lower roads can be good choices if there’s a storm or you are pressed for time due to seasonal daylight or ability to walk. After the ferry, there is a similar choice of roadway walking that avoids those crazy stairs. If you walk the less-desirable roadway route at both parts, it’s only about 18km, saving roughly two hours of walking.

While I definitely prefer the scenic routes, the OP seemed concerned about the distance so I wanted to provide easier/quicker alternatives.

hello
Last fall I arrived Irun about 1200 and walked all the way through San Sebastian to the far side hostel by 1900. I was 63 years old and took several long breaks along the way. Weather was very clear and a bit hot. No mud on the trail.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I did it about 10 days ago. I actually started next door to Irun in Hondarribia. According to my Garmin GPS watch, it was just under 25 km. There was 1,060 meters of ascent and 1,044 of descent, on the high ridge alternative. Some of the terrain is steep and rugged. It is likely drier now, but there were some muddy sections that required care to avoid wet feet.
With breaks for a couple of meals, photos (views are spectacular), etc it took me 8 hours elapsed. According to the watch, I was actually moving for 5 hours of that. My average moving speed on the flat with full pack is 5.5 kph, but with all the up-and-down I could only manage 5.0 kph on this section.
Good effort!

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
Are supermercados or other grocery stores open on Sundays on del Norte? Are restaurants open? Specifically, I will likely find myself in these towns on Sundays: Castro-Urdiales, Comillas...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I’m on day 2 of the CDN and I’m just blown away by the views. Day 1 Irun to San Sebastián, day 2 San Sebastián to Askizu Buen Camino
Hi! I’m a Camino newbie planning on walking Camino del Norte this May-June. I have previous hiking experience and do well on longer distances and so on, but not any super recent multi day long...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back